The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ran 3.16 miles today.  Didn't want to go to the gym because it was in the negatives today, but I did it!  It was very crowded on the track and kinda hard to get in the zone, but that's one run down.   

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm snowed in!

We've had 60 cm of snow and they haven't got up to clear the lanes this high yet.

I have snow shoes so I spent about an hour walking around in them. (Falling over, making snow angels, giggling like a maniac) Then I spent about an hour clearing snow so I could get to the shed, where the extra cat food and cat litter is stored.

My arms and back are tired now, think I'll be needing a hot bath later.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I'm snowed in!

We've had 60 cm of snow and they haven't got up to clear the lanes this high yet.

I have snow shoes so I spent about an hour walking around in them. (Falling over, making snow angels, giggling like a maniac) Then I spent about an hour clearing snow so I could get to the shed, where the extra cat food and cat litter is stored.

My arms and back are tired now, think I'll be needing a hot bath later.
Isn't that almost 2 feet of snow?? Oy. 

3 miles walked today during lunch. And none of it was fun. 20 degrees and with the wind, it was unreal. I know, nothing like what some of you are getting.....I don't know how you do it.

katherinep1225

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
took my two kitties to my mother's house.

and did a full video of 30 day shred level 3!!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't that almost 2 feet of snow?? Oy. 

3 miles walked today during lunch. And none of it was fun. 20 degrees and with the wind, it was unreal. I know, nothing like what some of you are getting.....I don't know how you do it.
Snowmobile clothing works well, nothing of neck or head should be uncovered, enough thick gloves and usually I have one technical t-shirt + two micro fleece shirts, also micro fleece pants and on top snowmobile top layer, if it is really windy yet another wind stopper jacket, but of course that is only when it temps are really cold with wind, that is still too much if there is no wind, no matter how cold the temp is.

But in head just small slit for eyes, breathing trough buff/scarf, that is most important in windy cold situations, it reduces feeling of cold a lot.

Then again, here it is not very important how one looks during cold spells, thing what matter is how one survives.

Any kind of dampness on exposed skin means frostbite in seconds on those worst situations, so you have to prevent wind getting to skin.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't exercised in over a week. I've got a cold and keep getting out of breath really easily. I'm taking it easy until I'm better.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles walked today during my lunch break.

Cold, but not really windy. It was OK. About 28 degrees F.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Used the elliptical for 20 minutes yesterday.  I haven't used one in 6+ years so it was kind of weird.  Resting today. 

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Used the elliptical for 20 minutes yesterday.  I haven't used one in 6+ years so it was kind of weird.  Resting today. 
I do the elliptical 5 days a week because it is so easy on my messed-up knees! My secret to enjoying it and getting a good workout on it is this: 

Create a playlist of songs you like that pump you up and motivate you (whether it be an album or just a list of songs). For a song, put it to an incline and resistance that is challenging and try to make it through the entire song going to the "beat" of the music. After the song is over, go slow and rest for a minute or two, then do it again to another song :) It can be really fun and challenging.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is quite nice page which gets at least me motivated!
http://www.whyiexercise.com/metabolic-equivalent.html

Putting away groceries is also an exercise, never knew of that! :D

There is quite lot of good stuff on that site, I think that I will do that rockport walking test at some point, I know running was nearly impossible for me last summer, I hope it being better at end of coming summer, but time will show.

Calorie numbers for mountain biking were quite low on that site though, I get to burn lot more calories on my rides.

Tomorrow is too cold for walking (-25C), but maybe at weekend I will have time for the test.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Then again, here it is not very important how one looks during cold spells, thing what matter is how one survives.

I think we have very similar dress sense. I never worry about what I look like at this time of year, only if I'm going to make it home with all my fingers and toes.

I did an hour of yoga this morning. Feels so nice after all that snow shoveling.

More snow heading this way for the weekend.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went for a 20 min walk and did the same 20 min cardio as yesterday. Today I was faster :woohoo:
I was sprinting up my driveway yelling " come on you can do it" I think the neighbours were outside :lol3:

We can all do it :clap:

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I do the elliptical 5 days a week because it is so easy on my messed-up knees! My secret to enjoying it and getting a good workout on it is this: 

Create a playlist of songs you like that pump you up and motivate you (whether it be an album or just a list of songs). For a song, put it to an incline and resistance that is challenging and try to make it through the entire song going to the "beat" of the music. After the song is over, go slow and rest for a minute or two, then do it again to another song :) It can be really fun and challenging.
Great ideas!  Thank you for sharing!  I couldn't get my breathing right, and I was a little scared of falling off.  It's also really boring to just stare at the wall for 20 mins.  Lol.  But it IS good for knees.  Thanks again. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little bit of this today, even though pic is from two days ago:

I don't know if video works as it is in Vimeo, but I have had it with YT and will not upload anything there, it should work, in theory :) .
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

It is somewhat satisfying when wood splits with one hit and lately it has happened quite often.

Also 30 minutes of bike riding, I had issue with the bike, gear lever was not doing anything, it did move but there was no any action because small parts inside did not move, frozen grease I guess.

Quite lot of walking, carrying firewood etc. Temperature today was only -24C so it was not too bad, bit less than what was forecast (should it be forecasted?), tomorrow should be end of this cold spell and at the weekend it should be just -5C or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I walked for two miles today until I had to give up because of the wind. :cringe:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles walked during my lunch break today. It was cold and breezy, but not really windy today, thank goodness!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Walked for an hour this morning and then did some very energetic house cleaning when I got home.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did 20 mins of cardio again today and I'm proud to say I was faster than the two days before :woohoo: That's a new record for me :clap:
I also went for a 20 min walk after dinner. I'm going to try and make a habit of that. As soon as I eat dinner I crave something sweet. The walk gets me away from temptation and it's just a stroll, it's relaxing and quite pleasant :D

Status
Not open for further replies.