The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Here is a new Exercise Motivation thread for a new year! Link to the old thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/290268/the-exercise-motivation-thread-2015

Quite a few of us are trying to exercise more to get/ stay healthier. Here's a thread to post what we are doing to keep us motivated and support each other. :)

:woo: WE CAN DO IT!!!!!

All are welcome to join in.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:banana1: HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! :banana1:

I went back to lifting weights on Thursday. Chest, bi and Tri.
New Year's Day I did my back and shoulders and then my legs later in the day. All High reps, light weights. I had cut my calories back and was doing cardio but the scales stopped moving and my waist stayed the same for 3 days. I have been eating more with my weight training but not as much as I normally would so the scales are going down again and my waist is slightly smaller. I've got at least
3cm to come off my waist :doh3:

Come on. We can make 2016 the best year ever. We will be trim, taut and terrific and sooo healthy :D
We can do this. We can. :clap:

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I shall be on the treadmill in the morning!

Have my Fitbit Charge charging and have updated my phone to show the Charge.

As soon as Rick sets up his Fitbit account, he is taking my old Flex. We're going to have a steps competition. And he'll kick my butt all over the place because he is constantly on his feet all day at work. I really have to work to get my steps!

(Still didn't get the treadmill kit, so am going to deal with the squeak, squeak and slip-slide tomorrow morning. Hopefully I won't fall on my butt.)

2016.....We do it this year! All of us! Goals will be met! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy New Year guys :wavey: :hyper:

Definitely NOT a resolution, but I want to try to use the start of another year as extra motivation to get going with yoga again. I've realised I need to accept the limitations the fibromyalgia etc cause, but want to get back into daily practice.

So....1 hour yoga today. ...just hope I don't regret it...

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jtbo jtbo have you ever tried protein powder or a protein bar? It maybe an option for you to have in the pantry if meat is unavailable.
I have a protein shake after a workout but only half the recommended amount.
Today I had my first protein bar. I have had cravings for cookies and cake and thought it may help. It wasn't extremely yummy but it was sweet and strangely satisfying. I would rather not eat artificial sweeteners but it was that or lose all control. :seesaw:
This is what I had

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Happy New Year everyone.

I have to keep active today to try and stop rigor mortis setting in. It's so cold here, it still hadn't got above freezing at 2 pm. 
 Luckily I had a quiet day and could get some exercise between lessons.

An hour of yoga this morning and an hour walking this afternoon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I walked two miles yesterday. It's half of what I normally do but I hurt my foot about a week and a half ago, so taking it a bit easier. Not sure if I will try to walk again today or what. Depends on how my foot is feeling. :nod:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about your foot, Karen. Hope it heals soon!

OK, I tried....I really tried. Went downstairs this morning. Went to plug the treadmill in and dropped the cord. Bent down to pick it up and wham! My back. It hurts and, while I can breathe (not deeply but I can breathe), I'm having some pain. I can sit here with no trouble, but depending on how I move, it just slams into me. I fought with the treadmill for about a mile, but between the pain in my back and trying to deal with the slip/slide of the belt, I gave up. 

I'll try it again tomorrow and see how things go. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope your foot heals quickly Karen :vibes:

Pam - I know that kind of back pain all too well :cringe: Be careful. I really hope you feel better soon :vibes:

1 hour of yoga today. Hoping I can push through the pain :cross:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Had a long day at work yesterday, but managed an hour of walking before it got dark. I'm too scared to walk through the forest after dark, too many wild beasties about.

An hour of very energetic cleaning this morning, moved all the furniture to clean behind and under it. Off to the village on my bike now.

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
@Winchester I hurt my back a few days ago... ugh. It's terrible. I'm sorry it happened to you. I took some Aleve, and hung out with the heating pad for a few days. Now, I'm trying to stretch more.

I'd love to be in better shape, but I'd also like to be limber enough to touch my toes. It's great to have some muscles, but the fact that I can't touch my toes is a little silly. And all of you doing yoga are making me feel like maybe I could benefit from some of that...

Anyway, maybe gym tomorrow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I walked 3-1/4 miles yesterday. It really cold and windy out today and I see a little bit of snow falling as I look outside. I'm thinking of using the exercise bike today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
How's your back today @Winchester? Really hope it's healing well

@Winchester I hurt my back a few days ago... ugh. It's terrible. I'm sorry it happened to you. I took some Aleve, and hung out with the heating pad for a few days. Now, I'm trying to stretch more.
It was really painful on Saturday and Sunday morning wasn't good. But putting away the Christmas decorations and cleaning the house in general seemed to help it stretch out a little bit. I still have twinges, if I move the wrong way, but it's much better this morning. I'm OK. Thank you!

3 miles on the squeaky, squeaky treadmill this morning. 

(Lubricating the belt helped with the slipping a little bit, but really didn't do much for the squeak, esp as I upped the speed and continued walking. At first, it didn't seem too bad, but imagine thousands of crickets in your basement, squeaking in rhythm and that's my treadmill. Rick said we'll try more grease, but he doesn't think it's going to do much. He heard the squeaking upstairs and came down to see if the belt was shifting at all...it's not. I can deal with the noise, as long as the belt doesn't start really slipping again. Rick said he doesn't know if HE can deal with the noise!
)

Norachan, Rick won't let me walk anywhere after dark. There's a guy in our neighborhood who runs out our road every morning around 6:00 and it's still pretty dark at that time. And he wears black! No reflectors or bright colors! Talk about dangerous!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3 miles walked outside during lunch. It's cold. 26 degrees F with a real-feel of 13. But it is gorgeously sunny outside, so I just had to get out there. 

So 6 miles for today!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did 25 minutes of cardio today (focus t25 workout). My legs are hurting now. I hadn't exercised in a while and I was cracking all over at first while I got used to it again.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I notice something has changed, it has been so quiet in subscribed threads :D

Temperature has not been below -20C whole day, two days ago there was warmer day, but other than that it has been about a week now those -15C to -20C temperatures and this week will be much colder, forecast is -30C for latter part of the week.

I did ride bicycle today to shop and back, took 50 minutes, there was quite strong head wind and bicycle did not want to move.

At the morning indoors were only +11C and plumbing of cat house was at +1.5C, unused part of cat house has windows frozen white and that is indoor side!

My exercise has been cutting and carrying firewood, that is not getting any less now, I start fire when I wake up and I let it die right before I go to bed, coming week I need to sleep less so that plumbing does not freeze, temperature drops really fast if I don't keep good fire in fireplace.

Today's wind chill was too much for the cats, 1 minute was enough outdoors, I'm surprised they still have will to experiment about outdoor weather, but they have cold tolerance in genes.

Oh, chainsaw froze yesterday as I was cutting firewood, I would need to take it warm to melt, so handsaw back in use, makes me all warm inside...

Today's weather with windchill was around -22F, wind gusts got it below -26F and of course riding bike 10mph adds to that, so windchill gets something close to -33F during gusts of wind, Siberian bear is biting now.

We have humidity at 90% too, that makes weather feel even worse, but it is still somewhat ok to do bike rides around 1 hour, it is great excuse to not to go out though, one just need to cover all skin and have wind stopping outer layer and keep moving.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1 hour yoga today (it's a fight, but I'm not giving in).

I'm doing the same kriya (set) every day, and today is the first time I've got all the way through and completed every asana without breaks, AND the first day my back hasn't gone into spasm during yoga :woohoo: :woo: :hyper:

It's a pretty physical kriya - only one asana is static. The final one is going from standing to sitting in easy pose 20 times. Ok - its probably easy for most of you but, given that I've been getting tired just from climbing the stairs ( :frusty: ) , it's a pretty big achievement for me :D

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an hour of yoga this morning then rode my bike for about 30 minutes. I did quite gentle yoga today, sun salutations and vinyasa flow.

I need to go to a chiropractor and get my neck cracked. It's really stiff and it's making me feel dizzy. Can't do any handstands or headstands and where's the fun in that?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two hours of cutting and splitting firewood, temperature was -21 and there was mild breeze.

Got chainsaw working again too, I'm using synthetic fuel as it is said to stay good for long times, well 2 years seems to be longer than long time, with new fuel it works better again. Also had to wash air filter.

My toes are not staying warm it seems, even I have wool socks and technical wool socks, shoes have room, but still toes seem to feel cold more than I would like to.

Good bit is that working with axe is now pleasant as I'm sweating only a little.

I should visit a shop again, but I guess I visit there tomorrow, it is -21 now and tomorrow's forecast is -28, I wonder if it is bit stupid to be lazy today...

Status
Not open for further replies.