The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Arties mom-I personally took it mild and slow and easy for the first 2 months. I was working with 10 lbs for several days. I increased by 2 to 4 lbs at a time. at the gym on those machines you use-there are these black or purple chunk weights that are 1lb and 3lb that they lay ontop of the stack of weights-since those machines go in 5lb increments you can use those gel weights to go up in even smaller increments=I wasnt sure if you knew about that. I apologize if you already know about them. 

I have had shoulder surgery for rotator cuff and the only thing that aggrivates it is odd positions of lifting. Lately I am pushing myself more to see how much pain I get. I pushed to 80lbs earlier this week. The only pain I got was some twinges in my elbow. I also use the pyramid method-I listed the average pyramid-some people do it the opposite with heavy first. I find lighter and more reps helps warm up the muscles to get prepared for more weight. You can amend it to be 10-8-6 if those reps below are too many. It all depends on what you want to achieve. 

1st weight is lightest and you can aim for 12-15 reps

2nd weight is medium and this is usually 10-12 reps

3rd one is harder this is some people say 5 to 8 reps and this is when your arm or leg is shaking when you try to push or pull the lever machine or whatever you are pushing-it should be hard to complete 8 reps at this weight-if you haven't gotten to this point then you can add 2lbs each workout. eventually you will get to a weight where by the 6th rep you want to stop but you push yourself to do 2 more reps-STOP then. I dont know the extent of your prior injuries so you could do one weight on your good arm and work this way then the one with the issues=scale it back.

I used to be afraid of pain. But now I see how much I can get done and not too much discomfort-the most pain I have is right after. And eating protein after is what you want. I don't know if I am afraid of pain per say. I guess I remember how bad I hurt when I pushed myself too much last year. Usually we don't feel pain until 24 to 48 hours after the session. I also eat tons of bananas for potassium. Magnesium also helps muscle pain. You can always try it on the side that isnt injured to see how far you can go. maybe your left arm you can add an additional 2-5lbs and see how you feel 2 days later. I think as you gain some confidence you won't be so afraid. Once you see yourself reach some goals which you have=you can now go 23 minutes on the elliptical-thats a really good machine for aerobics. on the days your shoulder hurts you dont have to put your hands on the bars that swing back and forth-you can just hold the handles by the controls. Then you can take short bursts of 20 seconds of higher intensity then 10-20 seconds of regular pace. I find this more helpful for building my endurance to do cardio stuff. Some people do 45 sec high burst of intensity then 15 sec of slower pace and do this for the entire 20 minutes-you will find you build up your breathing endurance and strength. 

This is what I understand cross training as=short burst of high intensity then regular pace-you can customize it to 10 sec of high intensity then 10 sec low intensity-I mix it up. Sometimes I do 20 sec of fast sprint type on the machine then the next 20 sec at my usual pace-this will also make you sweat a ton so be forwarned! But its supposed to be good for our hearts that's why I have been messing around with this. 

I say try it for a short session-either cardio bursts or upping the weights a couple of pounds. I don't think you will permenantly damage anything but it may just take you a bit longer to recover-I wouldnt try 10 pounds extra-thats too much-see if 3-5lbs is toleratable and see how you feel the next day. I found I was afraid too but then I get mad and just kept adding weight until I got to a point where I can't increase the weight. Some days I was sore but I ate tons of bananas-like 3 to 4 a day and it really helps. Sweet potatoes have potassium and I believe some greeen veggies too but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I went to the gym tonight and that guy Mike was there with his neighbor. we cracked up and zoomed away for an hour on the stairtype elliptical. then he wanted to learn how to use the smith machine so I showed him a few exercises but he had a hard time with correct form. So we spent a bit discussing how to make sure the back isn't bent too much or the feet in the proper place. I have to say he was a bit nervous but once he did a few of them he understood why I like doing those exercises. I really enjoyed working along side someone. He also learned how to use the chin up assist machine-He did much better than I did. The funny part is we both are only 2lbs away from each other in weight. And he looks much better than I do but he has abit of ways to go to build up strength. He seems harmless and seemed to enjoy the lessons..so now I am sitting here a bit sore-I didnt go nuts with the weights-I stayed at the same weights I was at last week for 

squat

overhead press (I am really weak-I don't have much arm strength here)

bent over Barbell Rows-this one was much easier to do than the overhead press..

I stopped there because Jon was waiting for me to pick him up at his playground-his land he has been messing with for 10 years with his heavy equipment and rocks etc.  I call it the playground-he loves tractors and boy toys I call them. So I am somewhat sore but not too bad. Mike will be there tomorrow at 3 with his neighbor so if I am not too busy I may just pop in for an hour to do cardio but no weights. I find I do best when I rest 2 to 3 days at a time for weights. 

keep going everyone!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Had to really push myself at the gym.. elliptical is getting a bit easier. I did 23 minutes on it at a 3-3.2mph.. I managed 1.27 miles and then my legs had enough. 

I also increased the weight a bit on a couple of the machines and tried out 3 new machines. 

I am at Planet Fitness, so I am taking my time...I think I will have to miss my next gym day because I took a shift at the shelter. I do not think I can manage a gym routine and then at the shelter to feed/clean up.. all in the same afternoon. I do not think I would be doing justice for the kitties. I will see how Sunday goes, but at this point, I am not so sure. 

Had a power bar on the way home, did an errand, came home, had a power shake and some nuts. 

I am full now. Wonder if those are empty calories? Very thirsty. Drank a 16 oz bottle of water and another 1o ounces. 

I was going to jump in shower, put some clothes on to wash, and sit outside, but it is clouding up. We are expected to get some heavy storms later. I put out some 4th of July streamers, on the balcony railings. Hope they do not blow away. I do not feel like taking them down. Oh well, if they do, they do... win some, lose some.

If I do not go to the gym, then they are open on Monday from 7am-3pm...

not sure about supper, not hungry now...

Funny thing about working out. Since I do have a bad knee and a bad shoulder (which should be better), and have been known to have lower back muscle spasms,
 I am afraid of really pushing myself to the limit. I am afraid of doing damage. 

Does anyone else feel that way? I guess once, you have been through really bad pain, you are afraid of taking the chance of inflicting more damage to an already injured joint. Does that make sense. I guess that is why I am so frustrated at my progress. I guess I am just scared. That is why I am going very slow, easy, and in tiny steps. 

I would ask a 'trainer' there, but, in my opinion, I do not think they are 'real' trainers-- at least at my location. It just seems like some guy off the street, that was just shown how to use all the equipment and has a shirt that say 'trainer'... I really do not see him working with people. He likes to socialize a lot. I heard there was one guy who was really good, but I do not know think he is there anymore....This guy does not look like a 'trainer' either-- very thin and no muscles visible, and no fat, but that is another thing. 
Artiemom - I get exactly the same when I'm trying to get back into exercise after a break....especially if the fibro has been flaring. I get so, so scared of pain and making myself worse..and with fibro, I can almost guarantee I'll feel worse before I feel better, as I simply don't recover from exercise the way non fibro people do. If I overdo things because it feel fine in the moment, it can easily lay me up again for a month or more. All I (or you) can do is try to take it slow, really listen and pay attention to my body, and make sure I've created a really strong base level foundation before I start pushing myself more. Making sure to incorporate yoga or other stretching is so important too, as is keeping myself warm enough whilst exercising as well as making sure I'm really well warmed up before attempting anything challenging - could muscles will injure and get sore far faster/more easily than warm ones. Paying close attention to form is so important too, especially in any kind of strength exercise (and yes, yoga can involve suite a lot of strength training via bodyweight resistance too ;) ).

Hot baths or other heat/hot water therapy after exercise helps a ton too. Targeted massage is really helpful too...even when it's just me doing it to myself ;) My other lifesaver when I'm really bad is Elemis Aching Muscle Supersoak and the companion body/massage oil. They're not cheap, but they ARE amazing. Salt baths (magnesium/himalayan salts) are good too....and probably cheaper! Certain essential oils can be wonderful for pain relief too. Unfortunately I can't remember which off the top of my head, but it's well worth looking into - both for making your own body oils and for adding to baths etc.

With the protein bars, shakes etc - remember that protein IS very filling, so it's not surprising that you were full after having a protein shake and a bar close together....especially with some nuts added in for good measure ;) I'd probably suggest having a bar OR a shake OR some nuts, and having fruit alongside if you want a bit more of something. I'm sure tammat tammat can correct me/jump in on the subject, but big amounts of protein post exercise are really only necessary if you're doing more serious bodybuilding/lifting and are setting out to build significant muscle. There's nothing at all wrong with having a protein snack post gym, and it's certainly a damn sight better than reaching for chocolate or 'junky' snacks, but you may be going a little overboard for what you're currently doing/trying to achieve :winkblue:

Hope that makes sense and I haven't upset you :cross: :paranoid: :hugs:

Don't know what I'm doing today. I did end up shopping instead of resting yesterday afternoon, which is exercise for me as I do find even slow walking for a significant length of time challenging these days :sigh:

I miss running and hiking......

Will definitely be doing some targeted yoga today to try and work out some of yesterday's tension and soreness, but I don't know how long I'll last :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@Artiemom, me too. The whole time I'm on the treadmill now and pretty much whenever I exercise, it's always in the back of my mind: OK, how does that feel? How does my lower back feel? Is that a twinge in my back? It's crazy. But it's the way it is. I don't just do something anymore, not without thinking about things. The days when I could hit the treadmill and crank out 4 miles at a jog are gone; heck, I'm not even walking really fast right now. Still have to think about how it feels, what it's doing, how it's going to affect that muscle. And now I'm definitely trying to get all those darn stretches in every morning before I walk. (I will say, though, that I think the stretches are helping.)

I did my exercises last night and the PT stretches. Still taking me right around an hour to get everything done.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning. You know, today? They were good miles. I could have gone longer and I wanted to. Very little pain at all. It was fine. (I started taking 500 mg of curcumin twice daily). I don't know if it's the stretching, the curcumin, a combination of the two or what, but even being on my feet pretty much all day yesterday while working in the kitchen was not painful. Still have some twinges in that muscle, but I'm amazed at how much better I feel. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OUCH @Columbine, that brush with your pony sounds really nasty. I have been walked over by a horse before, (Big, brainless colt that kept going when I slipped in the mud while I was leading him uphill.) but ran over sounds really scary. Sounds like you need to take it easy for a while,

Interesting that you say hot baths help a lot. I know a few people who run marathons and they always take cold baths to help their muscles after doing anything strenuous. Cold baths sound dreadful to me, but they say it helps reduce the swelling in their legs and they feel less sore the next day.

I couldn't stand that though, I'm with you on the hot baths. 

@JTbo  I'm glad to hear you're recovering. How's the infection now? Are the antibiotics doing their job?

@Artiemom  @Winchester  it sounds like you are both taking good care of yourselves. My yoga teacher used to talk about knowing your "soft limit", which means the limit you can push yourself too without doing yourself any harm. It's good to stop when you're feeling like you could have done a little more, rather than feeling you've done as much as you can.

I did about 15 minutes stretching and then a 30 minute run this evening. Managed to run all the way up one of the slopes that usually defeats me this time.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the ideas, suggestions...

Columbine, I have never had both a protein bar, and a shake, and nuts at the same time. For some reason, the past couple days, I was extremely hungry. I am eating the same amount pf protein per day. My doctors have been asking me what I am eating, just to make sure I am not going overboard, or under board on things. 

I was stiff, and a bit sore yesterday, but I am fine today. I took a hot shower when I came home. The bed felt so good this morning. 

The sun is shining, not hot or humid, windows and balcony door open, birds singing, so quiet, peaceful right now. No one outside yet.

Love it when it is like this. It is absolutely beautiful! a bit of a breeze, a cloudless sky..I am thinking of going outside in a bit. The only problem is that I have absolutely no shade on my balcony. 

I would love to get an umbrella, but I cannot afford that and the stand for it. I cannot sit in the sun, I get a really bad reaction/rash on my arms from it, plus I had some basal cell skin cancer removed from my face last year. 

Today is an off day from gym. I will be doing long neglected housework; with frequent breaks to sit outside. 

Tammat, thanks for the encouragement.

Winchester, thanks for understanding. It really means a lot to know that I am not the only one feeling this way. 

JTbo, rest that foot. We need you back with your exercise stories! Take care of yourself. Is it leaking because it is not healed yet?

I am thinking your foot and cut should be healing really well. slowly but really good. I think the discoloration is from bruising. You hit an area with very thin skin, (Foot) which has a lot of blood vessels. Most likely you the bruising is a result of it. 

When I broke my upper arm, way up near the shoulder, my entire arm, from wrist, to shoulder was severely bruised. Who would have thought that. I am glad the nurse in the emergency room told me not to worry about it. The bruising took a long time to go away, with the brake area being the last to return to normal. Yes, ugly-- yellow, purple, blue, -- gross. The last area lasted for several months...

take care all...

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My foot is going back and forth, blue, then yellow/green thing etc and all over again, probably because wound get opening and starting to leak clear and red stuff. I run out of antibiotics some time ago, not sure if those did much of anything, but hopefully. This morning there was less leak again, need to keep it motionless now, maybe formed harder stuff hardens enough that it starts to hold.

No much improvement has happened though, but wound is not quite as deep anymore I guess.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
No, you're not the only one, Artiemom. 

JTbo, I'm glad the leakage is clear....the infection must be healing at this point. Just stay down and let it heal.

3.25 miles on the treadmill this morning. About 50 minutes, give or take a couple of seconds or so. I'll take it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, all the exercise I got yesterday was wandering around the shops in town for a couple of hours :anon: Just straightening my left arm hurts so I chickened out of yoga. Aiming to do some yoga today, but not sure if I will. I'm being a wuss, I know, (and probably making all kinds of excuses - do call me out on this one guys if you agree :winkblue: :deal: ), but yoga +pain + dizzy + exhaustion doesn't seem too appealing right now.

God, I'm pathetic. Someone give me a sorely needed kick up the backside.....I need to get this fat ass moving.... :shame:

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@Columbine  you just got run over by a horse! You're lucky you don't have any broken bones or a serious concussion. I don't think you should be giving yourself a hard time here. I think you should be taking a hot bath and giving your body time to heal.

It's so hot here today. The cats have spent the whole day spread-eagle in the shade. I was going to go for a run after I finished work, but it's still too hot to move that fast. I walked for an hour instead.

Take it easy everyone. We don't need anymore injuries.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, all the exercise I got yesterday was wandering around the shops in town for a couple of hours
Just straightening my left arm hurts so I chickened out of yoga. Aiming to do some yoga today, but not sure if I will. I'm being a wuss, I know, (and probably making all kinds of excuses - do call me out on this one guys if you agree
), but yoga +pain + dizzy + exhaustion doesn't seem too appealing right now.

God, I'm pathetic. Someone give me a sorely needed kick up the backside.....I need to get this fat ass moving....
@Columbine

I agree with Norachan!!! 

and will repeat:

You just got run over by a horse!!! Take it easy  for a few days!!! OMGosh!!! do I have to cross the Big Lake, to talk some sense into you!!!!  

I will, if I have to!!! 

As I said in another thread. Today is supposed to be a gym day, but I am feeling so tired! And I have to watch the time because I volunteered for a shift at the Humane Society. It is the feeding/cleaning end of afternoon shift. 

I hate to go in there all sweaty from the gym, living in wet undergarments for 2 hours is not my 'thing"... Plus, that would mean 3 showers in a day.. Morning, after gym, and after shelter...

I always shower, immediately after each. 

Tomorrow, the 4th, the gym is opened for 8 hours; so I can make it in, and just do a good workout. 

I did get a bit of exercise yesterday by dusting and vacuuming a bit.  I took breaks sitting outside, until the breeze died down and it got so humid. 

I think I am going out for a bit soon. I can sit outside and do some cloud gazing.. the shad is starting to come on the balcony. My chair is 1/2 in shade so I am good. 

I know Artie will want to go outside, but he is such a fraidy cat. The AC really scares him when it goes in. He goes running into the apartment ~~~~ same with the airplanes-- unfortunately I am under a flight path. When you I've this close to the city and airport, you have to deal with them. I am 10-12 miles from Boston and even closer to the airport. 

thanks for listening to me be off topic..

yes, I talked myself into Monday being a gym day. I will eat light today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I do have some good news for this week. I had to reduce my Fitbit daily goal down to 10,000 steps a day because I'm only walking once per day and not over 3 miles. In the beginning, it was a struggle to even get to 10,000 steps, simply because when you're only walking 1.5 to 2 miles, you're not going to get very far. So that's a goal of 70,000 steps a week. 

Well, I made it this week; I hit 77,714 steps for the week and I made it to over 14,000 steps on Saturday. I'll take it. It's quite a bit better than what I did last week and I'm moving upward. It's not even close to what I want to do, but it's better than nothing. 

New week starts tomorrow!

Columbine, you really do need to take it easy for a while. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I went for a 20 min jog and then did my "top up" squats. 30/ 20/ 15.
Today I did my back and shoulders with Rohan. This is the last two weeks of this programme. It's 1hr 45 mins since I finished and my shoulders are still burning. My rest breaks are down to 30 secs now. That got my heart pumping. I'm about to take my human kids out for a walk and then I'm going to be doing a TORQ set of chest press.
Keep going everybody :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Not exactly dealing well with taking it easy. Just done 2hrs of yoga
I hope it was very gentle yoga.

It's been so hot and humid here today. I did an hour of yoga this morning, then took Little Boy for his walk when it had cooled down later on. I can hear thunder now. It might be nice to get some rain, just to have a break from this heat

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:cringe: I'm afraid not :shame: Mostly vinyasa, and included my achieving (and holding) crow pose for the first time in a decade! NOT the most sensible idea, I know..... :anon:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm afraid not
Mostly vinyasa, and included my achieving (and holding) crow pose for the first time in a decade! NOT the most sensible idea, I know.....
NOOOOO! You're not supposed to do inversions when you have a head/neck injury. Didn't you say you injured your arm? Crow poses is a pretty strenuous arm balance and if you lose your balance you're going to face plant into the floor with your full weight behind you.

Are we going to have to send @Artiemom  over to talk to you?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, until this morning I couldn't even straighten my left arm fully without significant pain, and I have a lot of neck pain/restricted movement there too...as well as sciatic pain today :anon: I did all kinds of things that I know I shouldn't have......like shoulder stands and bridge..........

*hides in shame* :sulk:

I hate how I'm being at the moment..... :sigh:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

NOOOOO! You're not supposed to do inversions when you have a head/neck injury. Didn't you say you injured your arm? Crow poses is a pretty strenuous arm balance and if you lose your balance you're going to face plant into the floor with your full weight behind you.

Are we going to have to send @Artiemom  over to talk to you?
@Columbine  

@Norachan      I am packing my bags.....Getting ready to cross the 'big pond".....

Status
Not open for further replies.