foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hit the gym running last night.

40 min 1 mile on the stairmaster elliptical

40 min walking/jog on the treadmill 1.1 miles

squats/chest press/deadlift. I pushed it to 80lb for chest press. did 10! I am a tad sore but not bad. started at 55 and did many reps at each 5lb incrememnt..decided to try 80. wasn't bad. felt it more in the elbow than not having the strength.

the squats I only did 30 reps. my knee is sore but not too bad-didn't want to push my luck. so far not too bad.

Deadlift 65-70-75 and I also stretched my back/buttocks before and after these ones and I didn't get as much pain in the backside. I think I was not stretching enough after the cardio so now I use that stretching machine more often. that was my biggest mistake-not stretching.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the thread @Cleopatras Mom
 I think you need to do whatever you enjoy doing. It's easier to stay motivated if you're having fun. If you get bored of doing that routine, try some of the exercise videos on You Tube. Even dancing around to some of your favourite music is better than doing nothing.

@Columbine
 Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I really admire you for pushing yourself even when you feel exhausted.

@JTbo
 How's your foot?

I walked for 2 hours on Monday.

Yesterday I rode my bike for 30 minutes, then did a 30 minute run later in the afternoon.

90 minutes horse riding today.

:9:

This is Ginji, a 5 year old Dosanko mare. She's rummaging through my pockets just in case there's any food in there.
Foot is still leaking red and clear stuff, color of foot changes from bright blue, then yellow, then grayish with red marks, which according to doctor is normal.

Nice horsie! Once upon a life I did some maintenance on stables, it surely was a lot of cleaning :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here is some information on Piriformis Syndrome....what I'm having problems with right now....

I can't take anti-inflammatory meds, so I'm kind of screwed there. All I can really do are the exercises to try to loosen that muscle up, so that it's away from the sciatic nerve. 

https://draxe.com/piriformis-syndrome/ It's an interesting site and the stretching exercises that are shown there are some of the ones I'm doing right now. I may buy a foam roller to help with some of the exercises. 

I have good days and bad days. For the most part, I'm OK....until I start to walk. I have to get a good mile in before the pain starts to dissipate. This isn't funny and I was really hoping to not have to deal with it for very long. Evidently, from what I've read here, it's not something that's going to go away in a short time span. Somebody else (Foxxycat??) mentioned some issues with the piriformis muscle, so I thought I'd post the info here. Hope it helps.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thank you=yes it was me. I remember a lady told me to get a tennis ball and roll on it while sitting on it-the ball presses against the muscles-kind of like a massager would do. youtube has some videos to show you how-this really helps. of course I also saw where you stand up and bend your leg on the edge of the table-this I found the most helpful for stretching that muscle. leaning forward helps the lower back at the same time. I forgot how necessary stretching is. the bad part about lifting weights is when I am resting inbetween sets my body cools down so I have to stand and do calf raises or jumping jacks as it seems my muscles work better when warmed up. thank you Winchester!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the thread @Cleopatras Mom
 I think you need to do whatever you enjoy doing. It's easier to stay motivated if you're having fun. If you get bored of doing that routine, try some of the exercise videos on You Tube. Even dancing around to some of your favourite music is better than doing nothing.

@Columbine
 Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I really admire you for pushing yourself even when you feel exhausted.

@JTbo
 How's your foot?

I walked for 2 hours on Monday.

Yesterday I rode my bike for 30 minutes, then did a 30 minute run later in the afternoon.

90 minutes horse riding today.

:9:

This is Ginji, a 5 year old Dosanko mare. She's rummaging through my pockets just in case there's any food in there.
Aww, thanks Norachan :blush: :hugs: I just know that if I CAN manage some yoga, I'll feel better for it after....even if it takes a LOT of self persuasion to get on the mat some days :rolleyes: I'm absolutely in awe of the amount of exercise you pack into most days though :worship: Makes me wistful for my pre-fibro days ;)

Ginji is STUNNING :heart3::heart2::heart3::love::lovegrin2 Was it her you rode today? (or is it yesterday now where you are? ;) ). A 90min hack sounds like heaven :9: SO jealous of all the great trails you have up there!

Such unusual tack too - looks much closer to a Western saddle than an English one. What's it like to ride in?
Here is some information on Piriformis Syndrome....what I'm having problems with right now....

I can't take anti-inflammatory meds, so I'm kind of screwed there. All I can really do are the exercises to try to loosen that muscle up, so that it's away from the sciatic nerve. 

https://draxe.com/piriformis-syndrome/ It's an interesting site and the stretching exercises that are shown there are some of the ones I'm doing right now. I may buy a foam roller to help with some of the exercises. 

I have good days and bad days. For the most part, I'm OK....until I start to walk. I have to get a good mile in before the pain starts to dissipate. This isn't funny and I was really hoping to not have to deal with it for very long. Evidently, from what I've read here, it's not something that's going to go away in a short time span. Somebody else (Foxxycat??) mentioned some issues with the piriformis muscle, so I thought I'd post the info here. Hope it helps.

Thanks for posting that link, Winchester. It looks really interesting. I don't have piriformis syndrome, but I do get a lot of sciatic pain from fibro muscle spams (among other things). Some of those exercises look like they might really help me too :bigthumb:

I'm so sorry you're struggling so much with pain right now though :( Hopefully you'll start to see improvements soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

I can't take anti inflammatories either. I really do recommend turmeric supplements as an alternative. I take the highest dose of mine a day, and I definitely notice if I forget. Magnesium is recommended to tackle fibro muscle spams, so that might be worth a try too.

I really hope things get better for you soon....and congrats on the 3 miles on the treadmill this morning :clap: :woo:

I've done just under 2hrs of yoga today - Pixie interrupted me at the end, needing the garden :rolleyes2

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Winchester for the link and info. I think I have a form of the piriformus stuff, also.. long story..

Columbine--you are a trooper...so strong..

I did go to the gym this afternoon. Really did not feel like it, but I went. 

I was able to mange the dratted elliptical!! for 1.25 miles!! and a bit faster speed than 2 days ago! I was so happy! It may not sound like much, but it is a lot for me. 

I did add a bit more weight to some of the exercise machines. Now if my body will co-operate! HA!  Feeling really fat when I look in the mirror. It does not look as if I lost any weight.. sigh...frustrating. and I am so tired again!! 

I am so hungry!! I could eat a house!! trying so hard to be good. Had yogurt with granola for breakfast; a protein bar on the way home from the Vet's, some peanuts when I came home from the gym, and a huge salad with egg, feta, and the rest of the veggies, a few croutons. I put extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar as my dressing. no salt. and then a few life savers. I need a bit of dessert. I am still hungry!! thinking of having an apple; but it is late for me to eat. I do not like to eat past 7 PM.

Tomorrow is an off day from gym. Back to it on Friday. I did begin another machine for my biceps. My arms are very weak--have always been.  I had surgery on my shoulder a couple years ago. They had to cut part of the biceps tendon due to tendonitis. I have a permanent "Popeye's Bulge" to my biceps. I could feel the biceps on that arm, cramping up a bit while I was doing the exercise--but I do need to strengthen it. slow and easy...

Back to gym on Friday. Cleaning on Saturday, and Sunday is gym and Humane Society... poor planning on my part...a very busy day. 

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Good Lord, I am soooo sorry you are suffering from sciatica!!!! There is no worse pain--I had this nightmare last summer and I  would not wish this on anyone.. When did you first notice the pain and do you know how you injured yourself?   I was like you, I can't take a lot of medications, so this thing saved my life, in addition to many hours PT exercizes, groin stretches and gentle yoga and tai chi and walking:
A friend of mine who is into holistic said to try Krill Oil, which I did, but I did not notice any difference. It took about 5 months before I could feel normal again and I have to say, I will never take for granted how good it feels not to have that horrid pain in my right butt cheek 24/7!  I will keep you in my prayers for quick healing.

And I just wanted to add a huge congratulations to ALL of you for keeping the faith and committment to exercizing- it is the best thing we can do to keep ourselves healthy!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
@RuthM  .... that looks really nice and I'm going to see about getting one! Thank you!

I'm going to start taking turmeric again. I was taking it a few years ago for inflammation (capsule form, 500 mg twice a day) and I noticed that my migraines had lessened, both in frequency and in severity. I quit taking it, but I'm going to head over to our local natural food store today at lunch to buy some. Also known as curcumin. At this point, it's worth a shot. 

Back around the beginning of May, we spent most of the day in the car and got caught in a nasty traffic jam. My car (Hyundai Tucson) isn't the most comfortable car as it is and, I noticed that I was starting to fidget in the driver's seat and my butt was starting to hurt. That was on a Friday and on Sunday, when I hit the treadmill, it hurt. Since then it got progressively worse. When I couldn't walk without a lot of pain, I went to the doctor....he said it was the piriformis muscle and started me on physical therapy. But other than the PT stretches, a bit of heat, etc, there's really not much that can be done. I'm doing the exercises faithfully twice a day and am now doing two sets of each for a total of four sets a day. This morning, the pain wasn't too bad on the treadmill. I may try the elliptical this weekend and see if that's any better.....and when I even think about hitting the elliptical, that's when you know I'm getting desperate.....I really hate the elliptical!

I had true sciatica several years ago and told my husband that, if I ever got it again, he had my permission to just shoot me. And I was serious. Having my son took less pain than dealing with sciatica for three months. Horrible, horrible pain. I lived on Advil back then and I couldn't walk, couldn't sit, could't sleep, couldn't do much of anything. I never, ever want to go through that again. You're right, you don't ever take feeling good for granted after you've dealt with that crap. And now, here I am. Again. It's not nearly as bad as it was that other time, thank goodness.

The therapist released me as there's really nothing else he can do for me. And I do manage to walk, but like I said, some days are better than others.

I did my PT stretches in bed this morning and then I hit the treadmill for 3 miles.

@Artiemom, sometimes I think that those days when you really don't want to hit the gym? Those are the days when you really DO need to go anyway. There have been times when the last thing I wanted to do was exercise. But I'd think, "Well, I'll just do a few things here and there"  and before I knew it, I was done! Good for you with the Elliptical from Hades (I feel your pain).

I'm glad that you're all finding the sciatica link helpful. I debated about posting it, but glad I did. Anything we can do to help each other out is always a good thing.

JTbo, hope that foot is healing.

Tammat, where are you? You OK?

Keep going everybody!

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done 1 hr 45 mins of yoga today. Very tired right now. Not sure whether or not I'll be going out later (Collie :heart3: or shopping if I do ;) ).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, thanks Norachan
I just know that if I CAN manage some yoga, I'll feel better for it after....even if it takes a LOT of self persuasion to get on the mat some days
I'm absolutely in awe of the amount of exercise you pack into most days though
Makes me wistful for my pre-fibro days

Ginji is STUNNING
Was it her you rode today? (or is it yesterday now where you are?
). A 90min hack sounds like heaven
SO jealous of all the great trails you have up there!

Such unusual tack too - looks much closer to a Western saddle than an English one. What's it like to ride in?

It is a bit different to English tack. I've never ridden in a Western saddle but it looks quite similar. I've ridden with a Mongolian saddle a few times and it's a lot more comfortable than that. The guides who take us out on the hack sit to trot and stand up to canter, but I can rise to the trot and sit to canter in these saddles without any trouble. I'd rather sit to canter, I feel to unbalanced standing up.

The reason they stand up to canter is that in Japan they still ride the way samurai used to and standing up made it easier to use a sword of fire an arrow from a bow. A few of the horses at the stable are trained as Yabusame (archery) horses. I've seen them practicing a few times. It must take so much skill to do this.

Actually, the reason I didn't ride Ran Maru this time is that he's part of a group of the horse were up in Tokyo taking part in a festival at one of the major temples up there. Some temples have a horse that is kept there all the time and one or more of the monks will actually be a groom and archer who look after the horse and take part in archery demonstrations throughout the year.

What an awesome job to have!

My exercise for today was teaching two classes on kindergarten age students, then taking Little Boy for his daily walk. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone:wavey:
I have been exercising and eating myself into sugar induced comas. I haven't posted because Then I would have had to drop into the weight loss motivation thread and confess and I wasn't ready to do that.
I've still been walking every day with the kids. I tell them it's 30 mins but it's more like 45!!! ;)
I've done all my weight training for the week. Chest/ abs and top up shoulders to go today.
Everyone is doing so well here :clap:
Keep going :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been exercising and eating myself into sugar induced comas. 
Some times we need to eat ourselves silly. It's good to show your body what you could be doing to it every once in a while. Then it's going to appreciate all those green salads and work-outs all the more.

I did an hour of yoga this morning, then about an hour of weeding in the garden. 90 minutes walk this afternoon.

Going to treat myself to my weekly glass (or 2) of wine now, just so my body knows how good it gets it most of the time.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have been exercising and eating myself into sugar induced comas. I haven't posted because Then I would have had to drop into the weight loss motivation thread and confess and I wasn't ready to do that.
I've still been walking every day with the kids. I tell them it's 30 mins but it's more like 45!!!

I've done all my weight training for the week. Chest/ abs and top up shoulders to go today.
Everyone is doing so well here

Keep going
I was wondering where you were. Glad you're OK, other than the sugar-induced comas.....

Some times we need to eat ourselves silly. It's good to show your body what you could be doing to it every once in a while. Then it's going to appreciate all those green salads and work-outs all the more.
I do like your way of thinking, Norachan! 

Did my PT stretches last night and this morning. 3 miles on the treadmill; they were good miles, too, with little pain. Booking right along here....

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you're ok tammat tammat :hugs: I was wondering where you'd been too!

Ok...time for a Collie :devilish: / :angel3: saga:-

I did just over an hour's yoga this morning (of a 80min class), but skipped part of the cool down and savasana so I could go to the yard and lunge Collie. Probably the worst idea I've had for a while :rolleyes: We nearly had a full blown two way argument/fight - with me almost losing it with her and her threatening me like she would another horse :argue::censor::bat: NOT happy with her for that. I know she was resisting going on the left rein (anticlockwise) because she was sore, but all I wanted was a few steps nicely so we could go to the right rein (clockwise) on MY terms, not hers! It was a definite case of 'Pony says NO!' :uuh::rasp::lol3: As soon as we changed the rein she was a little angel :angel3::frusty: So, things ended nicely enough, and I put her back out. After I'd let her go, dad appeared saying she needed her rug (in this case an equivalent of a mac) as it's due to chuck it down later. Madam was none too keen to be caught again, but I eventually managed it. Dad started faffing with the rug as he approached and Collie totally freaked and ran straight over the top of me (literally - her knee hit my head on the way down and pulled my glasses off, and she went right over my foot too. I'm just lucky her hooves missed my head :cringe: ). It then took a long time to get near her again, with me limping badly at first. I can walk again now, but my back's back in spasm and I've definitely got whiplash :sigh::stars::smshfrk:

Going shopping this afternoon.

Hope everybody else's exercise goes more smoothly than mine did today :lol3:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
@Columbine  

Please take it easy!!  You have had a blow to the head, body--back, please rest!!!  Watch yourself...I am so glad you were not seriously hurt. I guess you could say it was an "off' day for Collie...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Had to really push myself at the gym.. elliptical is getting a bit easier. I did 23 minutes on it at a 3-3.2mph.. I managed 1.27 miles and then my legs had enough. 

I also increased the weight a bit on a couple of the machines and tried out 3 new machines. 

I am at Planet Fitness, so I am taking my time...I think I will have to miss my next gym day because I took a shift at the shelter. I do not think I can manage a gym routine and then at the shelter to feed/clean up.. all in the same afternoon. I do not think I would be doing justice for the kitties. I will see how Sunday goes, but at this point, I am not so sure. 

Had a power bar on the way home, did an errand, came home, had a power shake and some nuts. 

I am full now. Wonder if those are empty calories? Very thirsty. Drank a 16 oz bottle of water and another 1o ounces. 

I was going to jump in shower, put some clothes on to wash, and sit outside, but it is clouding up. We are expected to get some heavy storms later. I put out some 4th of July streamers, on the balcony railings. Hope they do not blow away. I do not feel like taking them down. Oh well, if they do, they do... win some, lose some.

If I do not go to the gym, then they are open on Monday from 7am-3pm...

not sure about supper, not hungry now...

Funny thing about working out. Since I do have a bad knee and a bad shoulder (which should be better), and have been known to have lower back muscle spasms,

I am afraid of really pushing myself to the limit. I am afraid of doing damage. 

Does anyone else feel that way? I guess once, you have been through really bad pain, you are afraid of taking the chance of inflicting more damage to an already injured joint. Does that make sense. I guess that is why I am so frustrated at my progress. I guess I am just scared. That is why I am going very slow, easy, and in tiny steps. 

I would ask a 'trainer' there, but, in my opinion, I do not think they are 'real' trainers-- at least at my location. It just seems like some guy off the street, that was just shown how to use all the equipment and has a shirt that say 'trainer'... I really do not see him working with people. He likes to socialize a lot. I heard there was one guy who was really good, but I do not know think he is there anymore....This guy does not look like a 'trainer' either-- very thin and no muscles visible, and no fat, but that is another thing. 

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Columbine Columbine I hope you are mending. Hugs.
Yesterday I did my chest, abs and shoulders top up. I'm getting better at lifting with my chest. My legs were pretty sore from the day before and my back. Mmm?? I could feel my lower back during squats so there was some pretty bad technique going on. My legs are changing. Thank goodness because leg day is cruel.
My husband has agreed to start working out. He is starting today. ( or will he?) I'm planning on 10 mins of cardio. I would love to play personal trainer. I relish the thought of making someone else do 30 excruciating squats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.