The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It never looks as good as you think it does. I'm not very tall, so 100 lbs wasn't that thin, but I've noticed that my hair and skin look a lot better now that I eat properly. I used to keep a pair of my super skinny days jeans and look at them wistfully from time to time. Eventually I decided that I didn't care if I couldn't fit into them any more and threw them out.
I still have jeans from when I was thinner. It's probably not the best idea (not even going to post my lowest weight...), but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I have others that I wore back then that I can still wear, but the fit is drastically different, so I don't feel very confident wearing them.

Anyway...

Did 80 mins yoga again today. I was shaking by the end, but I did it :)

I'm going to have to fiddle with my meds doses tonight - I can't carry on like this :sigh:

Keep going everyone :hyper:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, I went from 196 to 119. And I looked dreadful. All skin and bones. My face looked gaunt. Yeah, I was in a size 4 pair of jeans, but man, it wasn't good. I felt terrible; my hair was brittle and my skin was dry and crepey. I lost my gall bladder through the whole thing. Maybe it's OK to be really thin when you're young, but when you're my age, it just doesn't work. People actually thought I was ill, that I had cancer or something; one of the Planning Commission members went into talk to my boss one day to find out what was wrong with me, she was really concerned. My doctor actually said to me, "Pam, I never ever thought I'd have to say this to you, but you need to gain weight." It wasn't until I gained about 15 pounds or so that I started feeling better and looking better. 135-140 is a good weight for me; I'm 5'4-1/2". I feel good and I look good right around there. I got rid of the size 4 jeans (but I have a few pairs in size 6 
 that I look at from time to time. 
 Right now, I'm wearing 10s and would love to get back into 8s.) It's more important to be fit no matter what you weigh, than to be thin and feel crappy all the time. It just doesn't work that way.

So anyway, that's my two cents for the day.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. It is dreadfully humid outside right now. It's like we're living in a rainforest! I don't mind the heat so much, but the humidity is terrible. Even in the basement with the treadmill fan running full tilt and my hair back in a ponytail, I was sweating like crazy within about 1.5 miles. Oy.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Pam - you and I are exactly the same height :lol3:

Had a riding lesson/argument with Collie today. She's in season again, so was feeling extra specially awkward :rolleyes: Still, I've known her be far worse. I'm just praying my instructor doesn't get her green card - she's planning to emigrate to America, and I don't want to see her go :bawling:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm over 6 feet, so for me ideal weight is bit more, also build affects it a lot, some are lighter build than others, some have longer legs and some longer torso, legs weight less than torso in my opinion :D

I would be happy to get into 200 pounds, chart weight is bit below 190 pounds for my build, but for me 200 pounds would be enough close and I would not have issues if I can't get calories in quite as soon as body excepts.

Well that is something close to 30 pounds to be lost, if I manage to loose pound a month I will be happy, that is permanent loss that does not creep back :)

Today I did 40 minutes of bicycle riding, it was bit rainy weather so no longer riding today.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm back :banana1:

I started a new programme today after 4 rest days. I did legs and shoulders. I'm going to be doing my legs 3 times a week :clap:

Keep going everybody. :clap:
We want happy healthy people here. No skin and bones please :lol3: only joking. Everybody is welcome of course.
It doesn't matter how you move just keep moving.:D

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have today off from work
I'm planning to go out soon to run errands:  to the indpendent market first and back (it's right across the street so not too many steps to get there
Just need milk and some locally grown produce) then about a 4 mile round trip scenic walk into town and back (library as usual then pharmacy, maybe the bank), then the chain supermarket (for other groceries) since it's right there as I get off the river path.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Had a riding lesson/argument with Collie today. 
That made me laugh.

I did an hour of yoga on Monday. I did 90 minutes of yoga on Tuesday morning, then 90 minutes of running (on the flat bits) and walking (uphill) on Tuesday. Today I took a day off, pouring with rain and so many chores that needed to be taken care of.

I'll be back tomorrow.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do a plyo workout today. Ouch, it was rough. My daughter stood beside me shaking pom poms saying "go mommy".

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catlover19 catlover19 a personal cheerleader must be a great help/motivation :D

I'm still really struggling with my meds :sigh: Have had yesterday and today off. I really want to get back on track tomorrow....

Everyone is doing so well. I think I need someone to give me a giant kick up the backside to get me moving again :lol3: tammat tammat - I need your energy...what's your secret? ;)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soon 3 days without sugar, I read it should take only 7 days to get 'out' of it, it will be now long 4 days of rain, but I did start this so that during worst part shops are not open because of mid summer festival, if I only manage tomorrow and next morning if I sleep too long it should be impossible to get sugar products :D

I did little firewood chopping today, but not much as it was bit wet for that.

Had issues with balance today so didn't do much, but I did do some write up of my space romance book thing, it is progressing very slowly though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I just set a new personal best step
Last weekend I set a new pesrsonal best because it was a mini challenge weekend. Today I beat than and then some
I'm almost at 23,000 steps
I wasn't intending to set a new personal best step but it just happened. It was a nice day for walking.

Got my new sneakers today and plan to check out the fitness center this weekend. Hopefully the treadmill isn't complicated to figure out

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work everybody :clap:
I did my chest and triceps today. I love my new programme. it takes a. Lot less time but it's very exhausting. Columbine Columbine I'm afraid I can't share energy. I would have to go to bed at 4pm in the afternoon :lol3:
@ JTbo do you like dark chocolate? It has minimal sugar and some great health benefits.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ JTbo do you like dark chocolate? It has minimal sugar and some great health benefits.
Sorry, it has less effect than eating a bread what comes to my sugar tooth, but I'm hanging there, even when I visited shop I did not fail, at the morning had bit difficult time, but then I took longer and harder bicycle route, 1.5 hours of bicycling up and down in middle of forest.

There are lot of different kind scenery on that route, beach sand like sand where grows only pine trees, not much undergrowth, then very wet swamp agricultural fields.

At one desert kind of section there were two large trucks making wood chips from logs they were wider than the road, so I got around of them from forest side, I was surprised how well bike did go there without any kind of path.

I wonder where from I have gained this 4 pounds since I dropped sugar though, I'm not eating any more than before, but my weight started to get up after dropping sugar and it is bit more than pound a day. I'm barely getting enough calories of my base consumption and I'm still burning more as I'm moving around.

During whole day I get around 1800kcal when my calculated base consumption without moving around is over 2100kcal, maybe I should eat more to loose weight? :D

Daily I burn 3000-4000kcal typically, but some days are much harder than that.

At least blood pressure is getting bit better after dropping sugar, 115/83 with 52bpm at morning.

Only thing I'm not sure is this sugar in orange juice, it is completely natural juice without anything added 100% orange, quite thick juice, but orange has some sugar so I get 100 grams from 1 litre of juice, it is also 450kcal. Maybe I should drop my main source of vitamin C also, peeled oranges had as much sugar.
I believe many other fruits have surprisingly lot of sugar.

Oh yes, according to this chart I'm Athlete level, I wonder when that shows on my waist or how fast I can ride with bicycle? :D
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Only thing I'm not sure is this sugar in orange juice, it is completely natural juice without anything added 100% orange, quite thick juice, but orange has some sugar so I get 100 grams from 1 litre of juice, it is also 450kcal. Maybe I should drop my main source of vitamin C also, peeled oranges had as much sugar.

I think it's better to eat the whole fruit rather than drink the juice. That way you get all the fibre from the fruit too and it takes longer for your body to absorb it. Juice gives your body an instant sugar hit, but then once that wears off you hit another slump and your sugar craving comes back again.

I did an hour of yoga this morning then walked for 2 hours this afternoon. I found a new route, quite steep in places but with pretty views.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's better to eat the whole fruit rather than drink the juice. That way you get all the fibre from the fruit too and it takes longer for your body to absorb it. Juice gives your body an instant sugar hit, but then once that wears off you hit another slump and your sugar craving comes back again.

I did an hour of yoga this morning then walked for 2 hours this afternoon. I found a new route, quite steep in places but with pretty views.
:yeah: I think that the body processes fruit juice pretty much like pure sugar (as in cola and other fizzy drinks). Whole fruit is a much better option. If you want an energizing drink, skim milk is a good choice - it has some natural sugar, but a decent amount of protein, and the body processes it like a food...meaning you can end up less hungry as well as being free of sugar highs.

25 mins slow walk today...and ended up feeling really dizzy and nauseous (which still hasn't gone away :( ). I'm praying these meds settle soon...and this rate I'm not sure if I'd prefer to just be ill :rolleyes:

Everyone's doing so well. You all definitely motivate me to keep trying :nod:

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad we don't get proper oranges here, they have very strong stinging aftertaste from who knows what chemicals put into them. I have eaten oranges from orange tree and those are actually edible, however in our climate even tomatoes are a challenge! :D

I don't know about those sugar highs, I don't think I have experienced such, it really has not much of any effect if I don't eat anything for 48 hours or if I take 200 grams of pure sugar in all of sudden, everything still feels same.

I even have to keep book of what I eat because I could easily skip a day or two if I'm busy with something.

However I could try to do without orange juice, but there is vitamin-c and potassium that I need to replace with something else and my intake limitations mean quite a challenge with those.

Tomatoes as other veggies from shop are not so well, quite soft and often have mold spots etc. selection is also very limited. Joys of living in remote area.

I added about 1 hour of exercising, warmups, 100 situps, then harder ones where you keep torso on place and lift + hold your legs up, I don't know how that is called, after 30 of those I started to feel that I got enough of those.
10 x 10 reps with 11lbs handbells, three kind of movements to get some activity to those sideways core muscles too. Also 5 x 5 reps of good morning move with 30kg (~66 pounds) weight over my neck. I think I should add more reps to that.

Also not sure if I keep enough long resting between reps because there is so many mosquitoes outdoors and at indoors I get so hot so fast that I really prefer doing those in 12 Celsius (bit under 54F).

I'm thinking about getting this, it would make bit safer to do those situps and would help to improve my back strength:
https://www.karkkainen.com/verkkokauppa/kk-vatsa-selkäpenkki

I can't was dishes when standing, holding even my arms at front of me like that causes back pain, but there is no issue of picking up quite heavy weights and that good morning move I have found out to be very easy with added weight, only issue is that I don't breathe properly and run out of steam easily.

edit: Forgot to mention 10, 5, 3, slow pushups, 3 seconds up, 2 seconds hold and 3 seconds down, can't do much more of those with this Jupiter amount of mass, but at least I'm trying :D

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, it has less effect than eating a bread what comes to my sugar tooth, but I'm hanging there, even when I visited shop I did not fail, at the morning had bit difficult time, but then I took longer and harder bicycle route, 1.5 hours of bicycling up and down in middle of forest.

There are lot of different kind scenery on that route, beach sand like sand where grows only pine trees, not much undergrowth, then very wet swamp agricultural fields.

At one desert kind of section there were two large trucks making wood chips from logs they were wider than the road, so I got around of them from forest side, I was surprised how well bike did go there without any kind of path.

I wonder where from I have gained this 4 pounds since I dropped sugar though, I'm not eating any more than before, but my weight started to get up after dropping sugar and it is bit more than pound a day. I'm barely getting enough calories of my base consumption and I'm still burning more as I'm moving around.

During whole day I get around 1800kcal when my calculated base consumption without moving around is over 2100kcal, maybe I should eat more to loose weight? :D

Daily I burn 3000-4000kcal typically, but some days are much harder than that.

At least blood pressure is getting bit better after dropping sugar, 115/83 with 52bpm at morning.

Oh yes, according to this chart I'm Athlete level, I wonder when that shows on my waist or how fast I can ride with bicycle? :D
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm
If your body is not getting enough calories then it can go into starvation mode and actually store fat. You may actually need to eat more food to burn fat. Lean protein and healthy fats eg peanutbutter, avocado, olive oil, nuts ect.. Will help to fill you up and burn fat. Orange juice is high in calories because it takes about 6 oranges to make a small glass of juice. A whole orange is rich in fibre also. It's a shame you can't get fresh fruit and veg easily. Can you buy frozen veg? They are snap frozen and can often be fresher than vegetables that have been on a shelf for days. Have you had migraines since you gave up sugar? I have heard that the combination of chocolate and cheese can trigger migraine in some people.

I did my back and biceps tonight. My new programme takes just under an hour for 2 muscle groups. I love the time factor. It feels like I've worked out for 2 hours though. It's a rest day for me tomorrow and then I'll have a full week next week.
Keep walking:walk: riding, yoging- is that a word?, lifting and jumping :blobyello - that's for the plyo Mrs B !! And everything else we do. This is good for us :clap:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood pressure skyrocketing today 153/94, good part of it is that I don't feel dizzy when pressure is so high, when it's lower I get dizzy, but can't do much workout now.

There are frozen carrots, beans and peas, also some corn, but that is about it.

Migraines have been easier for some time, for me bright spots seem to be worst, I'll see what comes when I'm weaned from sweet stuff :D

I would like to go to gentle bicycle ride, but every few moments there is very strong flash rain, but maybe I put raingear on and go for a ride anyway, slow bicycle ride seem to ease blood pressure a bit.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday today. I went for a nice walk with my kids and then I did my legs and chest. I love doing 4 sets. At the end of the third set I find myself thinking " I just can't do any more" but then I realise there is only one more to go so I somehow get it done.
Keep going everybody :clap: we can do it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Soggy day today, no thanks to remnants of Tropical Storm Bill
I was going to check out the fitness center next door but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Don't want to lug wet rain gear in and, no, there is no where to store personal items. Fitness center is great if you live in the building, not so much if you live next door and have to deal with the weather, even for the 2 minutes it takes to get there
Not doing too much today so I'll get my steps in by jogging in place for awhile. Second stage of the walk challenge starts today
I need to average some 17,000 for this stage. I've been doing about that many steps daily so this stage should be easy

@Jtbo, hope you can get the blood pressure down
I have the opposite problem - my blood pressure is always abnormally low
It has never bothered me and my doctor isn't concenred about it though once my pressure was so low the doctor said she was surprised I was even concious.

A walk with the kids sounce nice, Tammat

Status
Not open for further replies.