The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Todayis cold wet, windy and miserable. The heater in the shed is not working :argh: I trained in long pants, long sleeves, gloves and a beanie. I was cold but my shoulders were burning hot ;)
Back and shoulders today. @LTS I've been on a few walks latley and I've enjoyed every minute.
Keep moving people :walk:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Everyone has been doing so well.

It's the monsoon season here, so I have to try and time my walks between the deluges. I walked for an hour on Friday and Saturday and for 90 minutes on Sunday. Weekends are when I go down to see my other ferals that live on the opposite side of the village. It's always nice to see those little faces waiting for me. (I get the bus back up the hill, so it's not that hard a walk even if it is raining.)

I did an hours yoga today.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
JTbo, I have found that walking, just walking is the best thing I can do for my blood pressure. As long as I walk, even once a day (not even considering other exercuse, just walking), my BP stays on a relatively even keel. My doctor has said she can always tell when I'm not walking regularly, just by taking my BP. I still have to take meds for HBP and I always will, but the walking helps keep my dosage down to the barest minimum that I need. I also read (somewhere and I don't remember where) that walking helps to reduce BP for a good 12 hours after the walk. 

Rick has very low blood pressure, to the point where the doctors are amazed with him. Lately, with everything that's been going on around here, his BP is actually high for him....at 120/75. Yes, for him, that's very high. For me? I'd be ecstatic. 

Everybody is doing well! Tammat, I'm sorry your shed heater died. That has to be cold in there. Norachan, I would hate to walk in the rain, although I'd bet that where you live, even walking in the rain makes for a beautiful walk.

Rick has decided that he wants to start walking at night again (he had bloodwork done and his cholesterol is elevated again; it had been fairly well, but we've not been doing well with food or exercise). I've not walked outside at home since I got hit almost two years ago, so I'm going to be very wary. He really hates the treadmill and he's not fond of the elliptical either, so outside it is. Starting tonight. We shall see how it goes.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was leg day on my workout schedule. I must be getting more used to it because I don't hurt as bad today. Last time I did legs, I could barely walk up the stairs after.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was legs day for me too. Legs and then biceps.
I'm so glad you're still walking Winchester Winchester
I must check this again with my friend but I'm sure she told me that walking burns more fat per calorie than jogging. I will double check that. It is a great exercise and just what our legs are meant to do.
Go people go :walk:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

I'm hanging in there, Tammat. Get discouraged for a while and then come back again. My heart isn't in it the way it used to be. I don't know what's wrong. Too much stuff going on, I guess.

Please do check on that, about burning more fat per calorie when walking. I need something to get me fired up again. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Just a 30 minute walk this afternoon. I had planned to do more but I got side tracked.

I'll do better tomorrow.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't walk, walking even 400 meters causes pains to bottom of my feet that will stay hours, it is too monotonic.

Running / jogging gets on to my knees, but at least less of pain to bottom of feet, then blisters are another issue, also heart rate goes way too high.

I should train around HR of 110, even with walking it can get quite big higher and added pain from walking usually ups my blood pressure to level where vision starts to darken and I hear only loud hiss from my ears.

So for me best is chopping firewood, lifting those blocks of wood up and ramming them against bedrock, that is full body workout, as large muscle groups in action as in rowing, from legs to shoulders and arms, to fingers, calorie burn is quite high while heart rate still stays in nice and safe range.

Also it is somehow therapeutic so day after doing such exercise I get usually lowest readings of my blood pressure.

Some swear in the name of exercises that use one's own body weight, for me those get HR easily to over 150 and duration of workout is still very small. Duration is the key, if you jog for 2 hours non stop, you will burn more calories for sure than walking for 2 hours, but how many jogs 2 hours non stop?
Walking 2 hours non stop is probably possible for many.

I think everyone has his/her own balance of how hard to workout and for how long, for me low intensity and long duration is way to get most calories burned, for more fit persons I believe harder workouts will do better, but time is really the key.

Walking can be burning 46% more calories if you do it Nordic pole walking style:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking

As I do bicycle a lot, mostly mountain biking on rough roads and even in rough terrain with steep hills, it does burn quite a bit of calories, but I find that for upper body I need that wood block lifting to feel fully 'worked out' :D

It is quite easy for me to burn more calories than I take in, but I think for me trouble is really quality of calories and to get them enough for not to get into starvation mode.

Just this rain, why there has to be constantly rain? It feels more like monsoon season than summer, even amount of mosquitoes is something not seen in who knows how long, so I have had great excuse of not doing anything :D

Even on yard there are large pools of water as ground is not able to absorb what rain has put down, at least a week of daily rain left according to forecast.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone 

I continue trying to walk more but I keep forgetting to carry my pedometer (My Nintendo 3DS weighing 336g / 0.74 lb) so I kinda gave up a little on counting (and didn't follow up here) but I do try to walk as much as possible, even if it's just taking the long way around things or going around a building instead of through it 

I've been watching everyone's progress and it's amazing how well everyone is doing! Keep up the great work everyone! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I've not been around - om just struggling with motivation, side effects, fibro etc at the moment. So great to see everyone doing so well though.

I hope you're able to get your blood pressure under control soon jtbo jtbo . It sounds like it can be nasty. My mum has high blood pressure, and she finds that a glass or two of beetroot juice a day really helps. Might be worth trying if you're able to get hold of some.

I have the opposite problem. My record low was 70/20...the nurse took it three times, then looked at me and asked how I was still concious, let alone standing :lol3:

Spent 90mins at the yard tonight - walked the dogs, got Collie in and groomed her etc then swept the yard. I'm going to try to get going again now. I hope I can manage it.

Keep going everyone. :hyper: You're all doing great, and you inspire me to keep trying.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi everyone 

I continue trying to walk more but I keep forgetting to carry my pedometer (My Nintendo 3DS weighing 336g / 0.74 lb) so I kinda gave up a little on counting (and didn't follow up here) but I do try to walk as much as possible, even if it's just taking the long way around things or going around a building instead of through it 

Can you get a small clip on or bracelet pedometer like a FitBit?
I have the opposite problem. My record low was 70/20...the nurse took it three times, then looked at me and asked how I was still concious, let alone standing

I don't think I've ever been that low. Lowest was like 60/45.

I've been averaging 20,000 some odd steps sof ar this week
It's stage 2 of the walk challenge and based on my steps during stage 1, I'm supposed to average around 17,000 steps daily now.

It was too humid and warm to get extra steps in today
I'm just over 15,000 steps now. Will pace around while I'm "chatting" (well, typing through a message board) with a friend online tonight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
1.6 miles last night walking with Rick (it's basically down to the stop sign at the end of our road and back).

3.5 miles this morning on the treadmill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
4.5 miles walked this morning. :walk:.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did cut the grass, as I did fill lawn mover with gas and started it, I managed to push is perhaps something like 10 feet when rain started again, took my raincoat and kept pushing lawnmower while sky was falling down, at least grass is bit shorter now, but there has been way too much of rain.

Lower section of yard is shallow pool now, I would need to dig bit deeper 'pool' and it would be filling up by itself, currently it is fine for short leg cat to swim around which she seem to like :D

Well, at least I got bit over hour of sweating for this day.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and triceps yesterday. I've got my shoulders and legs to do later today. This will be the third time for my legs this week. In the past the most I've done is twice a week. I am both excited and nervous to see how I go. I so desperately badly want good legs. If this is what it takes then bring it on!!!.
Winchester, I'm waiting to hear back from my friend. I'll post as soon as I hear.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :anon:

I continue trying to walk more but I keep forgetting to carry my pedometer (My Nintendo 3DS weighing 336g / 0.74 lb) so I kinda gave up a little on counting (and didn't follow up here) but I do try to walk as much as possible, even if it's just taking the long way around things or going around a building instead of through it :sweat:  

I've been watching everyone's progress and it's amazing how well everyone is doing! Keep up the great work everyone! :woohoo:

You are doing great. It doesn't matter how many steps. You just keep on stepping :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I just heard back from my friend. She swears that walking burns more fat per calorie than jogging. Let that be motivation to you my friend. :clap:
Walk those booties everyone :woohoo: if you don't care about burning fat then walk anyways ;)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester I just heard back from my friend. She swears that walking burns more fat per calorie than jogging. Let that be motivation to you my friend.

Walk those booties everyone
if you don't care about burning fat then walk anyways
I don't have any fat to lose
Since walking I have lost weight (not much, maybe a pound or two, give or take some ounces) so now I"m currently considered "underweight" by BMI standards.

Did 21,000 some steps yesterday
Got most of those steps at work and then later I did a few laps around the complex since it was such a nice day (comfortably warm, not humid, sunny). I may have done a little too much because my knee was a bit painful going up the stairs afterwards

I heard that walking is better exercise than jogging, too. It's easier on the joints, too. 10,000 steps daily is usually the recommended amount.

Keep it up everyone!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester I just heard back from my friend. She swears that walking burns more fat per calorie than jogging. Let that be motivation to you my friend.

Walk those booties everyone
if you don't care about burning fat then walk anyways
Thanks, Tammat!

I walked 1.6 miles last night with Rick. 

Status
Not open for further replies.