Tera + 2 - 4

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

So, how are the little rascals doing today?  If you, and they, were here, you could have the windows wide opened  It's going to hit near 80 before dark...then cool down RAPIDLY to near freezing, and not get about about 56 tomorrow.  Why we don't all have pneumonia is beyond me.
It's 45 right now. Burrteens last night. All of my big windows are south facing so it solar heats in here when the sun is out. I have a window on the North side that I can open even though there is no sun. I switched to the good seed cakes yesterday for my birds so they are having a party and the kits are going crazy seeing the flutter feathers in the window. On the south side I have the front door open and it's flooding the living room with warm sunshine.

Glad you and Hekitty are enjoying the warm weather.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is our Last Hurrah.  Temps will plummet tonight...well...a North Carolina plummet...to the low-mid thirties.    But for today, the Smellavision is on.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

It is our Last Hurrah.  Temps will plummet tonight...well...a North Carolina plummet...to the low-mid thirties.    But for today, the Smellavision is on.
I make a point unless the wind is howling to open a window for the cats every day for at least 15 minutes. It is an amazing de-stressor for house cats.

Toad found his way up to the top of the kitchen cupboards today. What I lovingly call the cat balcony. He was quite smug until Mercy hopped down and left him up there alone. I had to spend a half hour talking him off the ledge. I made him a step out of a sturdy box and wedged it in so he has a step up and down. It was awful as he kept reaching his paws out to me. But what if I'm not there the next time ya know. I talked mommy cat to him and he finally got the courage to get down.

The babies have found Temptation and said they are good. If I so much as touch the treat jar 4 cats crowd the counter. I put one in Kitten's cabinet. I have no idea of how to traverse the next 10 days. She would have demanded her own spot as she never ate with the commoners.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, every time I check in these two grow 3 more inches.  They're little cats now with baby faces. LOL

So happy Mook isn't stressed out.  This is encouraging to me for the future and possibly getting another with Chestnut.  

I wouldn't feel guilty about caging them, you gave them nice digs, better than some studio apartments I've been in, LOL.  Plus, kitties love to crawl into small boxes and spaces, I'm sure they didn't mind too much.  Also they were kitties and sleep was needed.  So don't beat yourself up.

Congrats again on this happy little family.  I hope you're finally getting that much needed sleep you've been craving.

Best to you, Hope

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice.  This is protocol in our home, too.  I have everything open every chance I get, and there are perches on 2 windows, plus french doors looking out on the patio, and lots of windows throughout.  We have birds, oppossums, raccoons, lizards, mice, rats, squirrels, and insects here so there is usually plenty of entertainment on show. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
So we have a vet visit in another two weeks and Dr. Nolan brought up the subject of the Feline Leukemia Vaccine for the kits. Since our cats are indoor only it's never been a concern and none of the others have every been vaccinated for it. My biggest concern out here if they ever got out would be coyotes, cars and rabies. The feral/stray cat population is pretty much zero. She isn't putting pressure on us she simply presented it and the pamphlet for us to consider.  Personally I don't see the need to add yet another vaccine to their little bodies. I do want them fully vaccinated as kits  We discuss all the vaccines before they are injected. These babies were taken from mom at a few days short of 4 weeks. I do consider that making sure they are well protected to avoid any illness is a good idea as they may have lost immunity from nursing for a shorter period of time. We had one goopy eye on Toad when he first opened them that I treated with the standard ointment at home. I think it was more his eyes opening than anything else. Sorry to babble but I'm just floating this out there to see what everyone has to say.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here, the rabies vax is required by law; and I always get the "kitten pak" of vax because I do feel responsible for trying to protect them, which is illogical in a way, since I am a vehement anti-vaxxer from a family of them, as regards human vaxxes (and one of the healthiest people I know).  But when someone is in my care, and there are so many opportunities for these things to afflict them, I guess I think it's the thing to do to get them the basic vax, especially if they are street rescues, which almost all of my cats have been.  No telling if they got the full immunizations from the mother's milk, so this is the thing we are encouraged to do by vets.  Many kittens born outdoors have goopy eyes and URI's, some very severe and some chronic, as did my tiny Sahra, who was never cured of hers.  Having only nursed for four weeks, I agree with you that Frog and Toad may need the vax. 

Your main concerns are always mine, too.  I'm very glad we live in a non-open plan home that has lots of doors I can close between them and me when I have to go out or when someone is coming in.  

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since they will NOT be outdoor kitties, I'd think just the basics.  That's what H. has, although if she ever gets used to the harness that Santa is bringing, and I can get her to do something besides throw a cat-fit with a leash, I may opt to add to that. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Here, the rabies vax is required by law; and I always get the "kitten pak" of vax because I do feel responsible for trying to protect them, which is illogical in a way, since I am a vehement anti-vaxxer from a family of them, as regards human vaxxes (and one of the healthiest people I know).  But when someone is in my care, and there are so many opportunities for these things to afflict them, I guess I think it's the thing to do to get them the basic vax, especially if they are street rescues, which almost all of my cats have been.  No telling if they got the full immunizations from the mother's milk, so this is the thing we are encouraged to do by vets.  Many kittens born outdoors have goopy eyes and URI's, some very severe and some chronic, as did my tiny Sahra, who was never cured of hers.  Having only nursed for four weeks, I agree with you that Frog and Toad may need the vax. 

Your main concerns are always mine, too.  I'm very glad we live in a non-open plan home that has lots of doors I can close between them and me when I have to go out or when someone is coming in.  
Rabies is required So far we have had one goopy eye for about 2 days and one constipation that was resolved in a few hours. Mercy can have the 3 year shots starting this year. They go back in 2 weeks for another round of shots and Dr. Nolan had asked if I wanted the leukemia shots I'm going to opt out of that. We have really hit the jackpot here. No URI and no worms in either fecal.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~GRIN~  I was pretty sure, given the way they are growing and developing, that they were healthy as little horses.  Probably eating like one, too.  I love watching that pair become cats.  This is one of my top favorite threads.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

~GRIN~  I was pretty sure, given the way they are growing and developing, that they were healthy as little horses.  Probably eating like one, too.  I love watching that pair become cats.  This is one of my top favorite threads.
Lifetime of raising little horses to be big healthy sound useful beasts I always have that ticking in me, the thought of what they need now to be healthy adults.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think they're beautiful but I may be horribly biased. Thanks Anne.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Toad just strutted across the kitchen floor and my mind said Hey there's a cat in the kitchen. And that is the lesson about kittens. They are cute and adorable but that childhood is brief. Given the choice in a perfect world we would have kept Tera and passed the babies to a good foster while they waited for their forever homes. It became obvious after 4 weeks of increasing hostility between Mook and Tera. And they never touched each other that we were likely going to be in for one hell of a siege getting them to cohabitate or a lifelong strategy of how to keep them from doing damage to each other. After losing plan A we went through plans BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQURTUVWXY and that brings us to Z our current one. The painful decision to surrender Tera to a no kill shelter and raise and keep the babies. Tera deserves a home but she also deserved better than living in a state of constant warfare or being fixed and put back outside. She has a free room to live in , a catio and humans that volunteer to spend time with them. Tera always deserved better than what she got. Obviously someone's pet at one time but starving  and scared when I found her. And full of kittens. I made no effort whatsoever to find out if she belonged to someone around here. F bomb them.

As I watched these little wudgies turn into meatballs and now the beautiful young kits they are I see that each one has more of it's own personality each day. Toad is always first to see touch or taste something new. loves to lay near, hates to be held. Frog is a mommy's girl with little chirps and chatter becoming more common. Loves to be held like a baby and give face pats and chin kisses. Cannot look at you without dropping a love blink. They play different and interact on their own terms even at this age. So I guess my plea is when you go look for a cat/kitten don't be set on a color, sex, or age. Find the one that grabs your heart. I don't think I've really admitted how hard it was to let Tera go.