Stray Cat just had kittens. Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Tink is a very playful and sweet dog. She will most likely be the smallest at only 5.5 pounds. She wanted to join in so bad when the kittens were chasing each other and wrestling, but with mamma Claire giving her the stink eye she wisely stayed put and just watched lol.

My house will never be the same, but in a good way. I told my husband it has been to quite around here lately and we need some action. I will keep updating as long as everyone is still interested.

Last edited:

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. I will keep the updates coming.

The next step is getting Claire spayed. I will be calling this week to schedule her sometime the week of the 24th. Claire has been a great mother and I am glad that she will get to continue on with these kittens, but will not ever have to go through pregnancy again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good. She will still be able to nurse for awhile but will not have to live with heat cycles. She'll be happier and healthier and still interested in her babies. You're doing her a big favor! :).

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted an update for almost 2 weeks. The kittens are 8 weeks old today! They are beginning to explore more of the house every night and especially like playing on the stairs. they are my nightly entertainment, and I am happy with my decision to keep them. This is the first time I will have ever owned an animal from its birth. I think this is proving to make raising them a much easier process. Claire has done an awesome job and these two have very good manners and do not bite or claw at you. I have been very careful not to use my hands as a play toy and this is working out well. I have a very nice cat tree on order that should arrive on Tuesday. It is 54" tall and should give the kittens plenty of scratching sites and a good view out the window.

Claire has her appointment to be spayed on Sept. 3rd so just a few days away. I have not seen the kittens nurse for quite some time, but I suspect they may still get one or two short feedings at night when I am not with them. I will get the kittens in for their first shots the following week and will see about scheduling their spay/neuter when they have reached the appropriate size and age.

Chex and Cheeto have completely opposite personalities. Chex is very brave...nothing scares her and she is the first to inspect anything new in her environment including people. Cheeto usually hangs back and waits to see how things go for his sister before he gets comfortable. He is a purring machine as soon as i touch him, but Chex does not purr??  I can't wait to see how they both react to the cat tree on Tuesday.

@Handsome Kitty   @Checkers   @sarthur2  and @old possum  enjoy the photos. I will post  another update next week.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh @Jeapa507, what a change in such a short time. Their development is so evident, and they are maturing so beautifully.  They are magnificent!  Congratulations on doing such a great job, along with Claire, of course.

That cat tree is amazing. What spoilt kittens they are.  I bought one of similar size (2nd hand, but almost new) for my kittens, and they just loved it.  And your stairs are just as good as a cat tree too!

I noticed the same with my kittens. They had very distinct personalities.  One of mine sat back and let the others go first until he thought it was safe to do what they were doing.  They are so entertaining.  You won't find the TV gets nearly as much viewing!

Thanks so much for the update and the photos; I can't stop scrolling through.

So pleased you've decided to keep the kittens along with beautiful Claire.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both Cheeto and Chex are absolutely beautiful kittens! I see very healthy, shiny coats on them. They are adorable! I love that Claire is right there with them, and they both have some of her colors and markings.

I'm sure the babies nurse at night, and will still be able to for awhile after Claire's spay next week if they wish. Be sure to ask for pain meds to take home for Claire. Some vets do not seem to think cats need them, but in my experience they do for the first three days.

I think the cat tree is out of this world! I'm sure it will get much use over the years! Cheeto and Chex are living the good life!

I'm so glad you've decided to keep them. When you watch them develop from birth it's hard not to! They become family members!

You've done a fabulous job with all three, and Claire could not have found a better home :).

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh they are too cute, I'm jealous! How is Clare with you, is her personality and behaviour the same as when she was pregnant?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so cute.  I love the colors.  Your camera is wonderful.   Chex looks like a cuddly ball of fluff!

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh @Jeapa507, what a change in such a short time. Their development is so evident, and they are maturing so beautifully.  They are magnificent!  Congratulations on doing such a great job, along with Claire, of course.

That cat tree is amazing. What spoilt kittens they are.  I bought one of similar size (2nd hand, but almost new) for my kittens, and they just loved it.  And your stairs are just as good as a cat tree too!

I noticed the same with my kittens. They had very distinct personalities.  One of mine sat back and let the others go first until he thought it was safe to do what they were doing.  They are so entertaining.  You won't find the TV gets nearly as much viewing!

Thanks so much for the update and the photos; I can't stop scrolling through.

So pleased you've decided to keep the kittens along with beautiful Claire.

Claire gets most of credit for raising these two so beautifully! I was just the worrier...lol..  I tell my dh every night after dinner that it is time for cat tv when I open the door and let the kittens and Claire join us in the rest of the house. My little pooch enjoys this also and loves to just sit and watch the kittens play.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both Cheeto and Chex are absolutely beautiful kittens! I see very healthy, shiny coats on them. They are adorable! I love that Claire is right there with them, and they both have some of her colors and markings.

I'm sure the babies nurse at night, and will still be able to for awhile after Claire's spay next week if they wish. Be sure to ask for pain meds to take home for Claire. Some vets do not seem to think cats need them, but in my experience they do for the first three days.

I think the cat tree is out of this world! I'm sure it will get much use over the years! Cheeto and Chex are living the good life!

I'm so glad you've decided to keep them. When you watch them develop from birth it's hard not to! They become family members!

You've done a fabulous job with all three, and Claire could not have found a better home
Thank you @sarthur2  . I don't think I could have done this without having found this site. I will be sure and request pain meds for Claire.

I enjoy watching Claire interacting with her kittens. She stays very close to where they are playing and will herd them away from any place she decides is not safe. 

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They are so cute.  I love the colors.  Your camera is wonderful.   Chex looks like a cuddly ball of fluff!
Chex is definitely a ball of fluff ..lol. I call her my little Diva girl...lol she gets so ramped up when she is playing and will growl at the toy or her brother.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahh they are too cute, I'm jealous! How is Clare with you, is her personality and behaviour the same as when she was pregnant?
Claire has started to finally relax a little more with me around her kittens. She has not acted like she was going to bite or scratch for the past couple of weeks. I think she was just a very protective mama. She is not a cat that likes a lot of petting and she is not a lap cat, but this may change over time. I can pet her for about 30 seconds then she has had enough and will move away or turn her head and give me the look that says ok thats enough for now... She is looking fatter and healthier everyday!

I am confident that over time she will just be a very spoiled slightly independent cat.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Claire has started to finally relax a little more with me around her kittens. She has not acted like she was going to bite or scratch for the past couple of weeks. I think she was just a very protective mama. She is not a cat that likes a lot of petting and she is not a lap cat, but this may change over time. I can pet her for about 30 seconds then she has had enough and will move away or turn her head and give me the look that says ok thats enough for now... She is looking fatter and healthier everyday!

I am confident that over time she will just be a very spoiled slightly independent cat.
Sounds like you're well on you're way for that :clap:

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy this all turned out so well. They are all so beautiful. A very happy story :)

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Checkers  I forgot to mention that Chex has a nickname now and believe it or not it is Checkers!! My dh is the one who seems inclined to come up with alternate names for every person and animal in our home, and he started calling her Checkers last week...lol..

Lets see we have quite a list:

Tinkerbell = Tinker Stinker

Cheeto=  Mr. Gato

Grandson Isaiah= Ratonsito (translation= little rat) lol

Granddaughter Destiny = Destina, and little Gijo ( a mouse from a cartoon my dh watched as a child in Peru)

Have you gotten any more foster cats yet? I suspect with your upcoming surgeries you are holding off. I pray all goes well and you are healed and back to 100% ASAP.