Stray Cat just had kittens. Questions

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute.

A couple of days ago I saw nice looking cat trees at Costco for $69.00  You can also find smaller inexpensive cat trees at Big lots.  It would be nice to put something b the window so they can look out.

Here is an article for you

[article="29682"]Introducing Cats To Dogs​[/article]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So cute.

A couple of days ago I saw nice looking cat trees at Costco for $69.00  You can also find smaller inexpensive cat trees at Big lots.  It would be nice to put something b the window so they can look out.

Here is an article for you

[article="29682"]​[/article] 
Thanks for the link to the artical on introductions. Claire already knows my dog, but the kittens do not. I think Tink may end up wanting to play with the kittens, that is what I am hoping for.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if your DH is waiting for you to say what your thoughts are on keeping the kittens? You've not spoken up yet, although I think you said he mentioned keeping one. Maybe he's testing you for a response.

Good move to what looks like a fun room! I'll bet Claire likes it too. It will be much easier to bring them into the family area to enjoy them now.

The kittens are just adorable :).

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a great move for the kittens, @Jeapa507  . Not only a more interesting and fun environment, but I think a change at this stage of their development is great for their progress.

I've not had to introduce kittens to dogs, but I think if Claire is there when you do the introduction, it will make things a whole lot easier for the kittens and Claire, and show the dog that they are an extension of Claire.

I just LOVE the photos - especially the one of Chex peeping out through the star-shaped red and yellow 'window'.

If we are passing, I sometimes take my mother to the RSPCA refuge and one of those times was yesterday.  I rarely see calico cats and yesterday they had one. I got quite excited and showed my mother how much like Claire she was.  But calico cat was much more interested in sleeping than paying any attention to us!

It's still early days as far as decisions with your husband and the kittens, so I think you can relax about that one at this stage.
 .  And I agree with @sarthur2, there may be a little test happening there. He he.

Thank you for the update. Makes my day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love the pictures.  Especially the one of Mom and kittens at the food dish.  There's just something so cute about kittens doing things like Mom. 

Though it would be wonderful to keep the kittens with Mom forever, I can see why that might not be possible.  It was, after-all, not that long ago that you had a cat-less home!  And going from 0 to 3 cats is a big change in any household, and I would imagine, especially one who already has a dog.  You have to think about not just a more crowded household with 3 adult purring machines, but also the expense of caring for all 4 animals.   Not trying to discourage you keeping both kittens, but can certainly understand why it might not be the best decision. 

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is definitely much to think about considering the decision on what would be best for both my family and Claire and her kittens. The only thing I know for sure is that Claire will be spayed when her kittens are 8 weeks and she will be staying. The truth is financially we probably could afford to keep the kittens, but it was not something we planned on. The difficult part would be time wise. Both my husband and I travel quite a bit with our jobs and I can't rely on my son to always be here to take care of the cats. Thus far we have not had to worry about it because I was home on medical leave. I have two 3-5 day trips coming up in the next couple of months and I am not sure yet how I would handle this. I really haven't thought this through much as I tend to go with my heart and worry about logistics later. I certainly have a lot to think about in the next few weeks.

As a side note I am fairly certain Claire is in heat now so I am having to be very careful she does not get out. Since moving downstairs she did venture out into the living room for a few minutes yesterday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy, the heat cycle is not a pleasant event to live through at all. Continue to be very careful about not letting her out.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision regarding the kittens when the time comes. The head generally takes orders from the heart. It will work out the way it's supposed to in the end no matter what. You still have lots of time to decide.

old possum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jeapa,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy following your story about Claire and her kittens. I find it amazing that Claire decided to come to your house to deliver her kittens----how did she know you were going to provide so much for her even though her instincts told her to be wary of humans? The playful kittens bring such joy to anyone watching them, but I find that a deeper sense of happiness comes from knowing that an anxious desperate mother has been able to secure some comfort in a loving home.

I know that it is not easy to make a decision on keeping the kittens as you must consider the practicalities, logistics and the needs of others in your family. I had 3 cats and a dog for years (they all lived to be in their twenties), when the kids were small.  One day my Dh (does that mean "dear husband"?), and I were having "strong words" over an imbalance of domestic duties. He stormed out of the house and returned home an hour later with a "self-cleaning electric cat litter box". I wasn't so impressed at the time but after a while I really liked that thing. You can't use it until the kittens are a bit older but it was a fantastic way of keeping a clear litter for multiple cats. It senses movement when the cat jumps in the box and a few minutes later a comb automatically clears the waste into a covered receptacle that can be easily thrown out. I know it isn't the answer for everything but it definitely helps.

Should you decide to give up the kittens, you know that you will be passing on a lot of happiness and love to the person who gets them. It is a win-win situation any way you choose.

Good luck with everything Jeapa, and please keep posting pictures. I will be posting some of my own soon.

P.S

My Queen of Sheba a.k.a "Babs" had her kittens two weeks after Claire, so I have been following Claire's development over the course of pregnancy and birth. How do you know that Claire is coming into heat? Was she crying out or bleeding? I can't believe it could happen again in such a short time, Mother Nature shows no mercy. I guess strays and ferals must reproduce so often because so many would not make it in the wild.

So kind of you to release Claire from this relentless cycle. 

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your wise advice and kind words. O old possum Claire is behaving very sexy. I don't know how else to describe it. When you pet her she acts like you are stimulating her and she puts her tail up and leans down low. She is more vocal especially at night then she ever has been, and the really clincher is the two male cats that have started coming by this weekend and hanging around my porch. It seems almost like she is able to send a signal through the airways to all the males in the neighborhood that she is ready to mate.

I think Claire was dropped off in my neighborhood. She must not have been raised feral because she never feared my son. I would never describe her as a friendly cat by any means, just not truly feral.

I look forward to seeing some more photos of Queen Sheba and her kittens. Is she getting more comfortable with you?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You want to schedule her spay between heat cycles.

My cat experienced her first post-partum heat when her kittens were seven weeks old. I had her spayed at the end of that week when the cycle was winding down. The surgery was performed two days before they turned eight weeks old. Once in heat my cat was less interested in nursing and more interested in courting through the screened-in back porch.

How much are the kittens nursing Claire?

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I wonder if the kittens nursing less and beginning weaning has been the signal to Claire's body to go into heat? Chex is eating solids very well and I have not seen her nurse for at least 3 days. She maybe nursing a little and I just have not seen it. Cheeto is still nursing ( I'm not sure how often) but has started nibbling some on the dry kitten chow. He even drank water from the bowl, but does not seem to like the wet food.
I am thinking another week to 10 days and I should go ahead and schedule her spay.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507   I think she went into heat because it was her time. My momma cat went into heat when the babies where about 11 weeks and by that time they were eating wet and dry food by themselves but still suckling. I took her straight to the vet and had her sterilized. Long story short, the kitties are still nursing and they urn 5 months old on Thursday! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you can go ahead and schedule the spay soon too. She will still be able to nurse. My cat continued nursing for another two months!

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the kittens are 6 weeks old today!! This was a big week for them as they got to meet Tinkerbell and spend some time out in the living room with the family. Everything went well and Tink just acts like she wants to play with Cheeto and Chex and the kittens don't act like they are afraid at all. I suspect it won't be long before they are all playing together. Claire was a bit nervous about having the kittens wandering around and tried to herd them back into the other room the first few times I let them out. I am leaving the door open for a couple of hours every night after dinner when I can keep an eye on them so they don't get lost or hide somewhere. 

I had a talk with my husband about what we should do about finding homes for the kittens. He told me the decision is up to me and he will be fine with what ever I decide. So I am considering keeping them or at the very least just not letting them go unless a very awesome family asks to adopt them. We shall see. I have no plans to advertise them, but I have told several of my collegues at work. This far no one has expressed any interest. My dh has started calling Cheeto...Gato so I guess he has his first official nickname...lol..

@Checkers  , @sarthur2  , @Handsome Kitty  , and @old possum   enjoy the photos from this past week!

Tinkerbell getting to know the kittens!

Family dinner!

Mr. Cheeto aka Gato.

Chex has beautiful eyes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are both beautiful kittens!

I'm so glad your husband has said it's up to you. It makes everything easier!

Sounds like your dog is a friendly fellow too!

Great pictures, as always :).

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507  - these photos are too adorable. What a gorgeous pup Tink is, and isn't it wonderful the introduction went so well, with Claire keeping her maternal eye on things. Now they've been introduced and there's no fear on either side, I reckon Cheeto, Chex and Tinkerbell will be great mates in no time - and inseparable.  Thank you DH!

If it's any help,  I still get very sad over giving up my 3 kittens for adoption.  If the refuge rang me today and said they'd been returned and offered them to me, I reckon I'd have to say 'yes'!  I miss them so much. (BUT, it means I'll be able to foster again, at a time convenient to me, and give some other needy cat/s a good start.  That's my only solace!)

Please keep the updates coming.  They are so heart-warming.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens look so big already.  Pretty soon Tinkerbell will be the smallest of the 4.  Keep the updates coming, we need happy stories.

@Checkers have you had your surgeries yet?

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Handsome Kitty, thanks for asking.
 .The first lot of surgery was postponed by the doctor until the end of Sept, and the second lot is in December.

I will have a permanent reminder of my kittens search. But it was worth it!  Looking at Cheeto and Chex brings back the best memories.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now that your DH is no longer opposed to the idea of keeping the whole precious kitty crew, and has even nicknamed one of them, I bet he'd be upset to see them go.   Great pictures!  And Chex does has beautiful blue eyes!