Stray Cat just had kittens. Questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens look awesome! Very healthy! Weigh them again tonight if you can.

It's a good sign that Claire is resting outside the box. That means she feels like her kittens are doing well.

Great pictures! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning @sarthur2  . I weighed the kittens again last night around 10pm and they both had gained .2 oz more so I guess all is still going ok. I have noticed Claire is spending more time outside the nest, but I guess this is to be expected as the kittens grow. She still has not asked to leave the room so I do believe she does not want to leave her babies.  I am going to be ready to supplement the kittens if they don't gain enough today. At what point would you decide they need a little supplementing?  Would it be normal for one day to gain only .3 oz and then the next day gain .7 oz? What I am trying to figure out is if it is normal for the weight gain to vary a little day by day and I should not jump to supplement too soon. I have never done this before so I am not at all sure of myself. It seems one minute I think everything is fine, but then when calico only gained .4 oz yesterday I started imagining that there could be problems....

I am probably over thinking this and I just hope they both had a ,5 oz weight gain for today. I will weigh them around 12:30 as that is when I did it yesterday. Thanks for your advice.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@Jeapa507, I've just caught up on the developments after being offline for a couple of days.  The photos are just gorgeous.  I love the colours of all three - especially the mother.

I'm glad the litter deodorizer made a difference. (Yes, it's harmless to kittens, but I'd check the label just in case there's a warning. Mine was fine.)

I'm so sorry to hear you were bitten. I always used Betadine on my cuts and bites, and none became infected.  Yours looks very clean, thank goodness.  I'll bet it hurt.

Your set-up with the bed and the litter trays looks great. Your tray with the lid is much higher than the one I had, and looks more comfortable and workable.  The kittens, as you mentioned, would be good with smaller trays initially, but I reckon they'll climb their way into Claire's tray too when they're up and about.

I hope you get the nipple dilemma resolved soon.

@Checkers  I missed your reply yesterday somehow. The bite is healing nicely, thank you for asking.

I don't blame Claire for being defensive. She had only just begun to trust me and I was pushing her comfort level.  I like the new hooded litter box because it is high and does not have a door to hold in the odors. I found it at Pets-mart and it was a bit costly, but Claire is certainly worth it. I purchased Nature's Miracle litter deodorizer and it says it is safe. It sure makes a difference and I sprinkle a little every time I scoop the boxes. I will need to buy smaller boxes for the kittens soon. 

I am enjoying this journey with Claire, but I must admit to being a worry wort about the kittens. Since this is my first time with kittens I don't have any past experiences to draw from. This site has been a life saver in that respect. I hope you are doing well.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon for the kittens weight gain to fluctuate.   They will go through growth spurts.  As the kittens grow they will eat more at feedings and need to eat less often and Clarie will take longer breaks nearby.  So long as the kittens aren't hungry and crying they s/b ok.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their weight gain is fine. No supplementing necessary. A gain of .2 ounces per day is fine. More is always welcome. You can weigh once a day at the same time each day. As Handsome Kitty said, it is normal to fluctuate depending on growth.

Claire will lay outside the nest. It's normal :). Glad all is well!

Are they still nipple fighting?

J jeapa507

Last edited:

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It's not uncommon for the kittens weight gain to fluctuate.   They will go through growth spurts.  As the kittens grow they will eat more at feedings and need to eat less often and Clarie will take longer breaks nearby.  So long as the kittens aren't hungry and crying they s/b ok.
Thank you so much @Handsome Kitty  . That has relieved my worry. I never hear the kittens crying unless it is the little calico protesting being cleaned or fighting over the nipple with her brother. Most of the time when I enter the room the past 2 days they are sleeping soundly together in the nest.

The orange boy only fusses when I pick him up to be weighed. He is a quiet boy.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their weight gain is fine. No supplementing necessary. A gain of .2 ounces per day is fine. More is always welcome. You can weigh once a day at the same time each day. As Handsome Kitty said, it is normal to fluctuate depending on growth.

Claire will lay outside the nest. It's normal
. Glad all is well!

Are they still nipple fighting?

@Jeapa507
They are, but I have seen the orange boy using another nipple after losing the fight with his sister. The favorite nipple looks much worn out compared to the others. I can see more fur gone and you can really tell that it is being used the most. 

You have reassured  me @sarthur2    that all is going well. The kittens do look healthy and are not fussing much at all. I think orange boy will open his eyes soon. I can see a little more today and they look very dark.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exciting when their eyes begin to open! Glad the nipple war is subsiding!

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's update and weights:

Calico 7.6 oz = .3 oz gain in 24 hr

Orange 8.6 oz = .4 oz gain in 24 hr

So they are gaining a little less in 24 hours then they were during the first 3-4 days I was weighing them. I am not hearing any fussing that would indicate they are hungry, but they are shut up in a spare bedroom. I held both kittens and they feel warm. They are still fighting over their favorite nipple, but i saw evidence today that the calico will feed on another nipple as I saw her feed very briefly from another. 

Orange boy has started to open his eyes. I am a little concerned that there is a slight discharge. @sarthur2  and @Handsome Kitty

what do you think from the photo below? I have included a few other photos I took today.

Eyes opening 9 days old today.

Still fighting over that nipple.

Calico on a different nipple.

How I usually find them when I check on them.

I  think I just have too much time to worry, but I am thankful you all are guiding me. I don't want to supplement unless it is absolutely necessary as I worry about aspirated formula from a newbie like me. 

Last edited:

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another question: I have no idea how old Claire is, but I got a look at her teeth today and they definitely don't look like a very young cat. They were very yellowish and I could see a tartar build up. Is there a way for a vet to guess her age?

@sarthur2  

@Handsome Kitty  

@Checkers  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can give an estimate of her age. Maybe when she goes in for a spay they can clean her teeth so she only has one visit.

Keep an eye on the discharge.  It's not unusual for a kitten to have an eye infection.  For now you can wipe it with a damp cotton ball.   If it is an eye infection the kitten will need an antibiotic and maybe a vet trip?.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the vet can tell you her approximate age based on her teeth (which can be cleaned by the vet) and other factors.

I would say their weight gain is fine. They are on target to weigh around one pound or so at four weeks of age, which is average.

They look healthy and adorable - great photos!

If the orange kitten is showing a discharge - green or yellow or crusty - he will likely need terramycin eye ointment. It is available through your vet or petmeds.com.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The vet can give an estimate of her age. Maybe when she goes in for a spay they can clean her teeth so she only has one visit.

Keep an eye on the discharge.  It's not unusual for a kitten to have an eye infection.  For now you can wipe it with a damp cotton ball.   If it is an eye infection the kitten will need an antibiotic and maybe a vet trip?.
Yes, the vet can tell you her approximate age based on her teeth (which can be cleaned by the vet) and other factors.

I would say their weight gain is fine. They are on target to weigh around one pound or so at four weeks of age, which is average.

They look healthy and adorable - great photos!

If the orange kitten is showing a discharge - green or yellow or crusty - he will likely need terramycin eye ointment. It is available through your vet or petmeds.com.
Thank you @sarthur2  and @Handsome Kitty  . I have ordered the eye  ointment online just in case. I can't really see a crust forming, but they look a little wet. I will try and wipe them off tonight with a damp cotton ball. I will have to make a separate vet appt. for Claire for her teeth as I plan to use the clinic for her spay and vaccinations as it is much less than my vet will charge. After her spay I will make her an appt. with my vet to give her a checkup.  I had my dogs teeth cleaned last year and it was $350 dollars so I better start saving now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is expensive. Use the clinic for as much as you can. I think February is national dental month for pets when vets usually give a discount. Also, as she eats more dry food it will clean her teeth a bit. Who knows how she had been living before!

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Another question: I have no idea how old Claire is, but I got a look at her teeth today and they definitely don't look like a very young cat. They were very yellowish and I could see a tartar build up. Is there a way for a vet to guess her age?
 I am enjoying this journey with Claire, but I must admit to being a worry wort about the kittens. Since this is my first time with kittens I don't have any past experiences to draw from. This site has been a life saver in that respect. 
@Jeapa507, very pleased to hear your bite is healing well. I had that too, a couple of times, from the mother cat, and like you, appreciated it was just to protect her babies in a new environment. And, I guess, it's putting us in our place as their servants and showing us just who's boss 
. After awhile, she appeared to trust me completely, which is so heartwarming.

Now you've seen her teeth, it looks like she's been around awhile and is probably a very experienced mother. @sarthur2  and @Handsome Kitty have given great responses to your questions (and were also very helpful to me in my journey). I used to have my adult male cat's teeth cleaned when he went under anaesthetic for other issues; it's such a shame the clinic can't do that for you while she is being spayed.  And yes, cat biscuits are good for cleaning teeth - especially those designed for teeth descaling. 

As has been said, the vets can't get an exact age but have some pointers that will enable them to give an estimate.  That said, my mother was annoyed when she took her cat, who was more than 20 years old, to the vet and he wouldn't accept his age and wrote it down as 15.  

You'll no doubt continue to gain her trust during the next couple of months - trust you'll need to enable you to pick her up and put her in a cage for a trip to the vet. I'd recommend when the kittens are up and about that you encourage her onto you lap and gently pick her up when you feel she is ready. I do hope she responds well, but be prepared for a bite. Perhaps wear long sleeves.  I managed to pick up my stray female without any bad reactions from her, but she wasn't one to enjoy being held so pushed away after a few seconds.  A cat I fostered last year (a Turkish Van quite like your male kitten) wanted carried all day and would stand on his hind legs with his front paws stretched up my legs asking to be picked up, then purred when I obliged and settled in for what he hoped was a long stay in my arms or on my shoulder.  

When you do take her to the vet, place a cover such as a towel over the cage so she can't see outside. That helps to settle them if they react badly to the cage.

I also think patting her when you can is a good idea, as it would help to condition her to her new relationship with you, but look for the signs of irritation such as strong tail movements (like whipping) as it is their warning to you that they have had enough and any more might result in a bite or scratch.  Some cats will take all you'll give them, but not all!  You probably know all this, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

And as far as the kittens' health goes, I think you are doing an amazing job. My litter was my first real experience with kittens that young, and the help from this forum was invaluable. My kittens were older when I got them (about six weeks), so were moving about and were very lively. You're experiencing the joy of watching them develop from birth, which might present some worrying moments for you while they're so helpless, but my kittens had no support other than their mother until I found them, and were all beautifully healthy apart from fleas which I treated quickly.

I do hope the weeping-eye problem heals quickly. 

Your photos are just gorgeous.  They're giving me my kitten 'fix' and helping me with my withdrawal symptoms from my adorable three kitties. Please keep them coming!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
J jeapa507 How is your cat bite. I hope it is healing. Cat bites can be very nasty. Is it getting better, not red, swollen, etc.

I think you have the most colorful group of cat and kittens I have ever seen. They are beautiful.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507 How is your cat bite. I hope it is healing. Cat bites can be very nasty. Is it getting better, not red, swollen, etc.

I think you have the most colorful group of cat and kittens I have ever seen. They are beautiful.
Thank you @blueyedgirl5946  .

The bite is healing and there is no pain or evidence of infection. I know cat bites can bad so I was keeping a close eye on it. 

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon @Checkers  . Your reply has so much good information in it and I thank you. Yesterday Claire laid in my lap while I was sitting on the floor watching her with her kittens. As I was petting her she began to thump her tail on the floor. I thought to myself that this was very different from a wagging tail on a dog and seemed to be a warning to me. I stopped petting her and got up as I was not wanting another bite or scratch. It was confirming to read your post telling me to look out for that behavior. I am not sure yet how I will get her into a crate for the vet visit. I may in fact enlist my son to do it for me.

I want to clean the kittens eyes with a damp cotton ball so I can get a better look. I have ordered some ointment for them if they need it. It is a little concerning to me as I do not know if Claire ever had vaccinations so I'm not sure if her kittens are at risk for infections.  I am thinking about calling my vet to see if he has experience with young kittens and asking him if they need to be checked out. I think I will worry less once the kittens have reached 3-4 weeks and are still strong and healthy.

I am off to feed mamma Claire and weigh the kittens. Take Care.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, the kittens seem healthy. If they are not exhibiting signs of fleas or other maladies, they are probably fine until their first check-up and vaccines at 8 weeks.

The eye infections are common, and the terramycin clears it so quickly! Only one of mine had a goopy eye (Pumpkin in my avatar), and I treated it so quickly with terramycin it never spread to the other eye or to his siblings.

Claire will need to have all her shots again regardless since you have no records on her. They can test her for worms and feline leukemia. What she has the kittens will have, but she sounds like a sturdy soul, and I am not too worried. :)