Stray Cat just had kittens. Questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J jeapa507

I use Tidy Cats litter in covered boxes, and I use my powerful upright vacuum to get any loose particles out of the carpet.

I recommend that you use pet pee pads around the outside of the box to catch any poop and litter particles. That's what I do.

The covered boxes help with odors. You'll also need a small, kitten sized box for when the babies start to train.

My stray that I adopted was very messy initially, kicking litter everywhere, but over time she has improved her ways and is very good about things now. I think Claire will learn to do better over time. The pee pads are great because you can just toss them if there is an accident :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you checkers checkers . I enjoyed taking the photos and I am sure there will be many more:clap:

I am going to work on the litter box problem. Thank you for your ideas. I was amazed at how strong the odor can be. I had cats when I was younger and lived at home with my parents, but I don't remember smelling the litter box. I have probably forgotten about that little detail. I will get the hang of this soon enough so no worries. I will let you all know what I come up with. have a great night.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats litter in covered boxes, and I use my powerful upright vacuum to get any loose particles out of the carpet.

I recommend that you use pet pee pads around the outside of the box to catch any poop and litter particles. That's what I do.

The covered boxes help with odors. You'll also need a small, kitten sized box for when the babies start to train.

My stray that I adopted was very messy initially, kicking litter everywhere, but over time she has improved her ways and is very good about things now. I think Claire will learn to do better ovef time. The pee pads are great because you can just toss them if there is an accident :)
Thank you Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I will look for the pee pads. I really want to freshen up that room tomorrow. I can't imagine Claire likes the odor either? I hope the enzyme cleaner works. I really saturated the carpet with it.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507, for my big, clumsy cat I bought one of those large litter boxes with the removable lid, and left the lid off so he wasn't enclosed.  I've read (I think on this forum too) that the enclosed boxes have some negative aspects.  

I hadn't thought of this till now (so obviously didn't try it myself) but I wonder if the lid of the litter box could be turned upside down, lined with a large garbage bag, and filled with litter to make a 2nd large litter box.  Then every so often you could just toss the garbage bag and put a new one in and you wouldn't need to wash out the tray.

Re the type of litter to use, one thing I was warned strongly against was the crystals.  They're okay for most adult cats, but kittens tend to eat the crystals and that causes serious stomach problems.  So while you have kittens, steer clear of the crystal litter.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507   Do you have other food you can feed her.  Most people have 3 or more brands of wet food that they rotate.  Cats get finicky and if you are only feeding one brand, it is hard to switch  them,  It is also a way to save a little money by using a mix of cheaper and expensive food.  I would try a different food and see if that makes a difference.  It might not be the FF but the flavor that is effecting her.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been looking at the Natures Miracle corner hooded boxes online. They look large and have a fairly large opening. I will take a trip to Petsmart tomorrow and see what I can find. Thank you checkers checkers for mentioning about not using litter with crystals. I will look for something else. I plan on purchasing the litter deodorizer also. Will that be safe for the kittens? I wouldn't expect they will be using the big boxes though? I will need to purchase a small box or two for them. LoL... I will have 4 boxes in there before long. Thank you!!

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507
  Do you have other food you can feed her.  Most people have 3 or more brands of wet food that they rotate.  Cats get finicky and if you are only feeding one brand, it is hard to switch  them,  It is also a way to save a little money by using a mix of cheaper and expensive food.  I would try a different food and see if that makes a difference.  It might not be the FF but the flavor that is effecting her.
Oh dear handsome kitty handsome kitty I bought a lot of different flavor all fancy feast. I have at least 15 cans of different favors. I guess I really goofed that up. I can try a different brand. I guess I will buy a few from a new brand and see how she does. Thank you.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507   It could just be one flavor that she reacts to.  I know Eclipse doesn't have that reaction to all the FF flavors, just wish I knew which one bothered him.  It sounds like this is a new behavior for Claire.  Can you remember which one you fed her the last couple days?

You still want to have your cats used to different brands so you will be okay if there is a recall or it's discontinued.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507
  It could just be one flavor that she reacts to.  I know Eclipse doesn't have that reaction to all the FF flavors, just wish I knew which one bothered him.  It sounds like this is a new behavior for Claire.  Can you remember which one you fed her the last couple days?

You still want to have your cats used to different brands so you will be okay if there is a recall or it's discontinued.
This is actually the second time she has missed the box, but I thought it was because the other box had low sides so I bought one with higher sides, but it didn't work. I don't think Claire is used to eating can food. We used to just feed her dry food and sometimes chicken or turkey breast. Maybe her system just isn't used to it. Thanks for the ideas handsome kitty handsome kitty

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is common with stray cats who are brought inside to react to a steady healthy diet. They have large, soft, smelly stools for a few weeks until their systems adjust. If they have no worms - and a stool sample to the vet can ascertain that - then it's just a matter of settling in. Some cats will have an upset tummy when their food is changed. You just have to figure it out. I have stayed with Fancy Feast myself.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick question for handsome kitty handsome kitty and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 do you think a vacuum will scare Claire? I really need to get the litter out of the carpet today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it will. Do you have a little hand broom and dust pan to do what you can with for now? That's what I did until they began to move out of the nest.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if the small broom is upsetting you can use one of those adhesive lint rollers to pick up the kitty litter.  Or masking or duct tape wrapped around your hand sticky side out.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks you two for your quick responses. I have tried to use a broom and for some reason Claire hated it and attacked it. The main reason I want to clean it well is when I tried to clean the poop up the littler in the carpet got wet and because it is the clumping kind it made a mess. I will figure out how to clean it some how. Thanks a bunch. I will post and update as soon as I have had a chance to get Claire's new littler box area finished.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's weights:

Calico- 6.4 oz = .5oz gain

Orange- 7.1 oz = .6 oz gain

I learned a valuable lesson today. I need to remember that although Claire has accepted me and has been very sweet she is still a mamma that will defend her babies if she feels threatened. Claire bit me quite unexpectedly today while I was trying to scrub up the stain on the carpet from her accident yesterday. I did not see it coming. It is quite painful, but not too bad I think. I did too much today. I should not have lifted the 28lbs box of litter. I have some pain now at my incision site but no bleeding. I had abdominal hysterectomy on june 24th. My doctor would be angry with me as I am not supposed to be lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Ah well it looks like I have learned a few lessons today the hard way!

Is there anything special I need to do to avoid infection? I washed it out and used neosporin antibiotic cream. I will stop worrying about cleaning up in there for now as it is clear to me that Claire does not like it at all.

I have added a second litter box and bought some Armour Hammer litter along with some litter deodorizer. I hope Claire likes this set up. Here is her litter area and across the room is her nesting box and food.

I had to take at least one photo of mamma and babies:

I hope Claire will forgive me for making her feel so defensive. She did seem fine after I took the scrub brush away. I think the kittens are doing well and I think the orange boy was trying to open his eyes a little today. They are growing fast!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just assumed the litter box was closer to the nest.  That's a nice set up for her.  You may want to move the table/desk by the window for her.

Have we mentioned that she can go into heat as soon as a week after giving birth?  And she can conceive even though she is nursing.

If the bite starts to look pink/infected I would use peroxide. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your bite does not look too bad. You've washed it out and used ointment so it should not get infected.

Mother cats are protective of their babies for sure!

Those litter containers are heavy!

The kittens look great and the weight gains are good!

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just assumed the litter box was closer to the nest.  That's a nice set up for her.  You may want to move the table/desk by the window for her.

Have we mentioned that she can go into heat as soon as a week after giving birth?  And she can conceive even though she is nursing.

If the bite starts to look pink/infected I would use peroxide. 
Yes @Handsome Kitty  I know she can go into heat and so she will not be allowed outside until she is spayed. I am glad the set up looks good. There is a second window in this room and I plan on placing a cat tree there soon for her and the kittens. 

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your bite does not look too bad. You've washed it out and used ointment so it should not get infected.

Mother cats are protective of their babies for sure!

Those litter containers are heavy!

The kittens look great and the weight gains are good!
Thank you @sarthur2  it is a relief to have experienced people confirming that everything is going well. Claire seems to be getting more protective everyday. I wonder if I should stop weighing the kittens everyday? She seemed more nervous today about everything I did. I don't want to become worried around her, but I know I will be more careful as I don't want to get bitten again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you can safely let them be. You check enough to know if one or the other is not thriving.

It sounds like Claire could use a break! :)