Stray Cat, 7 Kittens, Lots Of Questions

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put on a pair of thick work gloves and wear long sleeves so you don't get bitten or scratched. Ask the vet prescribing the Drontal for a little plastic syringe called a pill gun. You can open her mouth and just shoot the pill straight down her throat with the syringe, it's very easy, it's how I administer pills to my cats. Or you could try to smash the pill up and put it in some tuna or other food, but in my experience, the pill must have a bitter taste because that method has never worked for me and cats have not eaten the food with the Drontal. If you're going to place the pill directly in her mouth, take special care not to get bitten. Even docile domesticated cats can panic and bite. Also, if you are near a PetSmart or some type of store like that, you might want to get some Feliway spray. I have a small bottle that has lasted me for years. It is a calming pheromone based thing that I spray my pet carrier with when having to take a cat to the vet. There are Feliway plugins, but I think they are more expensive, the spray doesn't cost that much and lasts for a long time. You could spray the box she is using, or some other object she is near when she is in the room. Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dh wrapped her in a sheet. I just used the old fashion method. open mouth insert pill. Took a couple times. But didnt go to bad. No worse then pilling some of our own cats. Now i wonder if we should give mom something for fleas. havent seen any yet. Bit of course scared she does have them. What is safe for nursing cats?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give her anything unless you actually see fleas on her. Pet and stroke her until she rolls on her back. Look where her back legs join her abdomen, The hair is very thin there and fleas can be easily seen. Run your hands through the hair to part it. my cats have never had fleas, so they don't HAVE to have them. I give Drontal by breaking it up and hiding it in a small amount of tuna. The feral cats scarf it up.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg. I just remembered this morning. She was given pyrantel on the 11th of oct. It hasnt been 2 weeks yet. I hope it's ok. She did have dead worms in poop this morning. But are their side effects to giving it to soon?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drontal has a very low incidence of side effects. If she had tape worms, you absolutely did the right thing to give her the Drontal. Sometimes it takes a few doses of de-wormers to rid a cat of parasites. Hopefully she will start to feel much better and be less agitated in your home.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is a float test different then what they do for worms i think they only checked for worms. :( poop is firm but kinda greenish

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a second litter box. And she still pooped on the floor. Today she pooped in the litter box but also on the clean rug i put down. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Caring for her til the 13th. When the rescue can take them. She had 7 kittens now about 4-5 weeks old.
What does it look like? What is normal? Ive noticed swelling but is that normal when the sacks are full?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also how many calories does she need? I put dry kitten chow, 24/7 But she prefers wet. She is so thin and had worms. Trying to figure out a schedule. Im losing sleep :( i bought fancy feast kitten wet food. Is 2 cans every 5 hours enough? I think they are about 95 calories each. So 190x5 is 950 plus any dry food she eats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
7 kittens is much. Also, if she was homeless and or had previous litter less than a year ago, her reserves were already drained when she got this new litter.

So, dry food of high quality - kitten type. Wet food, as much as she can eat.

Goats milk is good for drinking, it contains also extra calcium. and or some full fat plain yoghurt (if she loves flavored youghurt it is not harmful, even if I prefer plain.
Egg yolk is good. If you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs at your place, you can mix in raw egg yolk with the wet food or goats milk or youghurt.
Maybe some pedialyte as her drinking water - contains some extra calories because pedialyte contains dextrose.

Some nice vitamine paste...

There may be some swellings without it being mastitis. A difficulty is a good momma will allow her children to suckle even if she is in pains... While others clearly push of the kittens from sore teats...
If there becomes black then you KNOW its mastitis...

You can always smear some coldpressed cocoa oil or coldpressed rapeseed oil.
Olive oil works too, but rapeseed is more neutral in taste.

ps. With such a big litter you may want to rotate them, 3 on 4 off, and change after a while, 4 on 3 off...

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you text this picture to your vet or a vet at the rescue for their feedback? It's hard for me to tell from a picture if there's anything abnormal about her feces. How is she doing otherwise?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
not sure, her eye is now has black crusties and all red. :( No christmas for me this year. all my $ is going to keep these cats alive. :frown:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not mastitis, but if you do have access to a good vet, its wise to let him take a look up. Yes, I would do so.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its not mastitis, but if you do have access to a good vet, its wise to let him take a look up. Yes, I would do so.
So is it normal? Why do they need to look it?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not saying its normal. Im just saying its not mastitis.
Its too big for me to be happy. Although "used" teats can be quite large. Look at dogs, there can be very visibly hanging pouches. its not that visible with cats, but the same principle.
Anyway, I dont want to guess. Its better a trained vet guesses. :)

Do the kittens grow nicely? Ie they get what they need? Ie are her teats functioning normally otherwise?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is really thin. Picky with some foods. Nursing 7 kittens. So when i went to get more kitten food. I got this. She loves it. It only makes 16 ounces. How much should i feed her? I gave her 2 tablespoons to start and see if she would like it.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fine. You can use kitten milk replacement formula instead, if it's cheaper. Poor nursing mamas need as many calories and nutrients as they can get! Does it say on the container how much to give her?

The KMR directions say 2 teaspoons of KMR powder per 5 pounds of body weight for a nursing mama cat. Mixed with whatever amount of water she likes, I suppose.

She should also be eating kitten food. What brand are you giving her?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ya thats what i wasnt sure about it either. My oldest cat had kittens. But it was 7 years ago. and dont remember them being this noticeable. But she only had 5. I weighed them again today. They are gaining weight but most are below what they should be (450-550 grams) for 4-5 week old kittens. But there are 7, so maybe not getting enough and i just started giving them "solid food". we have an appointment for 8:40 tomorrow.
My local FB group has pledged $85 so far to help with fees. This has so hard on me. I will need care next to heal my ulcer. when all this is over. :(