Stray Cat, 7 Kittens, Lots Of Questions

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The other day we had seen a cat. Yesterday dh discovered her kittens. 6 of them in a spot in the yard. Not a good safe or warm place. I went out this afternoon. She was there. Brought food out and she is gone. Havent seen her since. Trying to at least get her food.
What's the longest she would be gone? Im starting to worry they will die :(

Attachments

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I don't know. I hope one of the resident experts comes by soon with advice. Do you know if the mother is feral or tame ?

Good luck with them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is feral, she may have freaked out because she saw you by the nest of babies. So just stay away from the babies and she should come back.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She might not come back for 12+ hours. Also some cats will watch there kittens from a distance.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If no one has been taking care of the mom she will hunt on her own and be gone most of the day. They can still be friendly. Continue to leave out canned food and water for the kittens if they are old enough to eat out of a can.
Also assuming the mom comes back and the kittens are weaned get TNR done.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the kittens are very young. They eyes were not even open. We left food out and she did not eat it. It is 45 and windy. im afraid
they will not survive the night :(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in Houston I have never had to shelter kittens because of it being cold. Hopefully someone who does will respond. Call any shelter and ask for suggestions

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I contacted a rescue who will take them. But They want to see if they can get the mother first. She said seeing they are content to wait til morning and if they are crying then mom has not come back. To call her. Its going to be a long night with 39 degree windchill and getting colder

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not familiar with cold weather but can you use a heater or a warm blanket? I wish I could call people on tcs on the phone

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope they were not abandoned. Hard to believe a mom would leave her kittens so long instead of keeping them warm

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The mother probably will come back once she decides it's safe, but there is always a risk that something has happened to her.

One way to keep the kittens warm is to get a sock (Cotton, not nylon!), fill it with uncooked rice, tie the end and heat it in a microwave for about 2 minutes. Put this in a cardboard box, cover with a blanket, then put the box in the same place the kittens are and put them inside.

If the kittens are piled up together sleeping like they are in the picture they're fine. If they start moving around and calling for Mom it means they are hungry.

I think it's better to leave them for a few more hours as the mother is more likely to come back after dark.

Could you check again later to see if they are still there? As long as they are warm and can't move too far (because they're in a cardboard box) they'll be OK. If they seem distressed and it's been more than 12 hours you might have to step in and help them.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im afraid at this point to move them. Dont want to move them if the mom is coming back. So far they are piled up and pretty much sleeping. the rescue i talked to said she will take them tomorrow if the are crying meaning mom hasnt returned. I wish i had a way to watch without getting to close :( Im not getting any sleep tonight. UGH i just hate the guilt and not knowing how to help. The big problem is finding the mom

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you leave out smelly food will she come? It's late here. That would keep me up all night

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we did put some out for an hour maybe hour 1/2 and she never came or at least at it

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If they're in the same place, just in a cardboard box with a rice sock and blanket, it won't scare the mother off. Even if the kittens have your scent on them their own scent will be stronger and their cries will make the mother care for them.

They can go for a night without food, but getting too cold is the biggest worry,

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I left them out last night. I got up at 6 and they were fine. But mom not there. I did see her in the back of our property so put out food for her. She came and ate it but not sure if doesn't seem to be staying to keep the kittens warm. Or feed them. Its cold windy and sleeting :(

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep feeding her, but try to not to spend time around her or the kittens. She could move the nest if she doesn't feel safe. The best think is to trap her and put her in a cat condo or a bathroom with the kittens. It needs to be a contained space where she can not hide the kittens or escape. Then once the kittens are old enough, between four to eight weeks, take them from her and TNR the mom. Is the rescue able to help you with doing that?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If the rescue will take her and the kittens now you could use the kittens as "bait" to catch the mother. Put the kittens in a carrier with the door closed. Put the carrier with the door right up against the back of a humane trap. Cover the carrier, but not the trap, so mum has to enter the trap to see the kittens. When she steps in it will spring the trap.

Ultimately any cat or kitten will be much safer indoors, or will need to be spayed if too feral to be kept in. It makes sense to do this now before any of the kittens are lost. Much easier while they are too young to run around as well.

Would the rescue keep her until the kittens are weaned and she could be spayed and released? Or do you have a room where you could keep her for a month or so?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put the kittens in the greenhouse, in the carrier because if sleet cold and wind. How much will a mom look for them? I feel bad