Starting Feral Cat Caretaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heard this awful screaming cat today. Even my indoor cat, Sweetie, was startled. I went running downstairs expecting to find a bloody dying cat. What do I find? Slappy pacing back and forth on the porch. He looks up at me and mews sweetly then rolls over on his back wanting a belly rub. I hope he doesn't make a habit of this.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heard this awful screaming cat today. Even my indoor cat, Sweetie, was startled. I went running downstairs expecting to find a bloody dying cat. What do I find? Slappy pacing back and forth on the porch. He looks up at me and mews sweetly then rolls over on his back wanting a belly rub. I hope he doesn't make a habit of this.
Oh man, he sounds like he's got things under control!  

Last edited:

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning I wake up by Sweetie slapping my face and urgently mewwing. I rolled over to check the clock and see a man in a ladder outside my window looking back at me. Yeah great start to the day. This place is crawling with workmen repairing or replacing the roof. Pretty sure cats have all taken off and are probably hiding in garage. No way I can try feeding them. Most of the day both exits out have been blocked off. Kind of want the cats to stay in hiding until after this madness us over. Don't want to tempt them with food. Trying to find some good in all this. Outside of roof not leaking. Doubt landlord can afford much work on house after this so maybe a chance for peace?

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Roofers didn't leave until 8pm. Slappy was downstairs crying on the porch before the roofers had pulled out of the driveway. I decided to go down and feed him and whoever else showed up. For awhile it was just Slappy and I but then Bandit came running. Wolfie slinked over across the back fence. Others still in hiding.

Odd thing about Slappy and Bandit. I've watched them from the window playing together. They are real buddies...when I'm not around. When I am there they are on either side hissing at each other.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad the roofing is done.  Poor cats.  We had a new roof put on our house about three days after the cats all arrived.  They were each in a crate in a new house with new roommates after an 8-hour drive in a stranger's car to get here.  I am amazed that they came through that without permanent trauma.  But they recovered.  Things will get back to "normal" soon.

Hmm, interesting about Slappy and Bandit.  They each want you all to themselves.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Roofing not done...workers, mess, and noise still going on. This is supposed to be last day though. Slappy and Bandit were playing in backyard very early this morning but when workers started showing up they vanished. I am always amazed at how resilient cats can be. I should learn to have more faith in their abilities. But I worry anyway.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we all worry.  What else would we do with our time?  No matter how often I tell myself to stop, I don't.  I guess it helps me feel in control.

Fingers crossed they finish SOON!

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Roofers finished early afternoon! I went outside to see if anyone would come out of hiding. Of course it would be Slappy who poked his head around the corner of the garage and came running. He wanted a good belly rub then took off mewing. If looked like he was going around telling the others it has ok to come out. Just looked out window and several are starting go gather around feeding station! Looks like we all survived!!!

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More great news! Jackson the one without the big macho aditude, tonight actually begged to be petted! Took me by surprise. Usually he takes off if I get near him but tonight I was cleaning up the dishes and he starts mewing at me. He started rubbing against my back and legs then pushed his head under my arm. I am in shock!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He was happy to see someone familiar after all those strange people were on the roof making so much noise and mess.

He's taking baby steps, brave boy.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Half my ferals are missing today. I suspect that Patches went on hiding to have her kittens and that her older children and grandchildren followed her. Their group is called those devil white cats by my crazy neighbor. I am going exploring tomorrow to see if I can catch a glimpse of them. Knew something was going to happen when Patches wasn't hungry last night. For about a week now she has been stuffing herself and last night nothing. Hope that neighbor meant it when she said I could go in her yard anytime.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And this morning almost everyone was back? Patches is as fat as ever and ate several plates of food. She is going go keep me on pins and needles till these kittens are born.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How some personalities have changed! Rudy who never use to come out of hiding is now something of a cuddly fella, loves having his chin and neck scratched. Patches still pretty much keeps her distance but surprised me this morning by grabbing my hand with the food scoop any meowed like Me Next! I don't think it can be much longer to kitten birth. Her belly is huge and her walk is more of a waddle. She's taken to laying on any cement or metal that has been warmed by the sun. I was so hoping to trap her before her litter came but now not sure that's possible. Humane Society said we would trap this coming Monday but would call first. So no call of response to my calls. Lady I have been working with was going on vacation so maybe that has something to do with it.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not knowing if trapping is going to happen tomorrow I decided to feed cats as usual. With neighbors leaving food out 24/7 it doesn't really make much difference.

When I moved away from feeding station to let the shyer ones eat Gray marched her two kittens from the garage to the shelter tent. She let them sniff and play around there awhile then walked them over to the food dishes. They ate quite enthusiasticly. I am confused though. Their mother when she was nuetered showed no signs of lactating??? She is the one who started lactating immediately after nuetering.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure what you mean.  She did or did not lactate after her spay?  Are the kittens weaned and she's lactating?  Maybe she has some extra hormones from the pregnancy?

And vibes being sent that trapping goes well, whenever it happens!

Last edited:

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the confusion. When she was sent go be spayed she wasn't lactating. Almost immediately after she was returned she was lactating. I questioned it but came to the conclusion it was a case of hormones gone crazy. Then a couple of weeks later kittens showed up near garage....sigh.