Starting Feral Cat Caretaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tweedle and Dweedle definitely getting over their fear of me. Pretty sure Dweedle is a little girl kitty. These two are eating a lot! I hope it's safe to let them eat so much. Kind
of wish there was a way to feed them separately so I could feed them kitten food.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like my Kitty and Rusty. This is them on Dec 18, 2015 at approx 3 months old.

I started feeding them in early November and I couldn't believe how much they ate compared to my house cats. I was told to feed them wet food as much as possible if not feeding them dry kitten food. A bit easier than your situation as it was just them so I didn't have to worry about other cats eating the wet food. Mother came around later in the day at first and then stopped coming around by end of December.

When I contacted the Ottawa Humane Society they didn't seem concerned with my feral kittens eating a lot. They told me to make sure I feed them wet food as much as possible because they are kittens. When I took them to the vet they told me after spay / neuter and them living inside their appetite would go down. It has gone down quite a bit in the 2 1/2 months I have had them inside.

And yes that is cardboard and paper I was feeding them on in the photo. The kittens, or possibly raccoons later in the day, kept pushing the bowls and plates into the large steel beams where I couldn't reach them.

Last edited:

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tweedle and Dweedle surprised me this morning by being with the other cats who greet me by the back porch and walk me to the feeding station. I've been asked not to trap until the week of the weeks of the 15th or the 22nd. I might be able to pick them up and set them in traps by then. Must ask Ondine to.send vibes....those really work.

Coney Island let me put out more brochures. Was really excited to find brochures in Spanish at Alley Cats! I shop a lot at the mexican market and they were happy to let me put them out. Saved a few of the brochures in Spanish to take down to the library. Still need to put in mailboxes around neighborhood but waiting for one more flyer.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is the shelter the Humane Society gave me! The front lifts up so it will be easy to clean. I am very happy with it but I plan on insulating it before winter gets started.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow!  That's beautiful.  Insulating it will be great.  Use straw as bedding (not hay).  Hay still has green matter and will mold.  Blankets will wick moisture and will also mold.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was supposed to try trapping this week but well...rain and of course more drama. The not quite sane neighbor and her daughter started a fight with downstairs neighbors wife...over me and what I'm doing with the ferals. Not only that but the daughter keeps complaining to landlord and wants me evicted. Landlord keeps hanging up on her and won't answer phone if he sees it's her calling. It is good people (some people) support what I am doing but the negative stuff has gone to far. Really not sure what to do about it all.

Cat stuff:

Worried about Patches when she is returned from fostering. How the other cats will treat her and such.

Dottie has to be fed separately from the other cats. Otherwise she refuses to eat. Also Bandit keeps chasing her away from food station. There are a couple outsiders to the group that I just can't seem to integrate.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, boy.  If it isn't one thing ...

I can only send vibes that things calm down and your trapping goes well.  I am hoping they all get along better when all are neutered

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have been working so hard!

Have you really listened, to find just how many haters are there? And listen closely to know who is pro a who is neutral.