Starting Feral Cat Caretaker

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! New to this site and feral cat care. I can use all the advice and help I can get. So far I have landlord approval which was a huge step. Currently setting up feeding station away from house (work in progress) found area by back fence away from house to set up feeding station and shelters (still working on getting materials needed). TNR starts 5/31!!! So far have counted 12 cats may be more (some so people shy they don't come out till I have gone....I only see them from upstairs window). Would really appreciate any and all advice from those experienced in this kind of cat care.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!   What a wonderful thing you are doing.  Very smart to get the landlord's support up front.  That will make things so much easier.

I take it you have traps and a place to recuperate the cats once surgeries are done.  Females will need a few days; males can be released after one night.

Large dog crates work well as they provide room for a carrier to hide in and a small litter box.

You can also keep the cats in the trap, inside a shed or garage, for the duration.  Place pee pads or newspaper under the trap so when the cat goes potty, all you have to do is lift it and replace the pads.  You can also feed in the trap - the cat usually backs into the opposite end of the trap from where you are.  Keep the crate or trap covered with a blanket or sheet - this helps keep the cat calm.

There are several shelters available online.  Feral Villa makes both stations and shelters.  I bought one of their ready-to-assemble villas and it was easy peasy to put together.

I have also made many shelters out of Rubbermaid totes.  One caregiver I made them put hers on pallets and then covered them with plywood.  Eventually, she positioned them so she could put a "roof" on them, complete with shingles.  They have lasted for eight years and are still in good shape.

We have all been where you are and have each faced obstacles, so ask away!  The support here is invaluable.  Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Welcome to TCS!   What a wonderful thing you are doing.  Very smart to get the landlord's support up front.  That will make things so much easier.

I take it you have traps and a place to recuperate the cats once surgeries are done.  Females will need a few days; males can be released after one night.

Large dog crates work well as they provide room for a carrier to hide in and a small litter box.

You can also keep the cats in the trap, inside a shed or garage, for the duration.  Place pee pads or newspaper under the trap so when the cat goes potty, all you have to do is lift it and replace the pads.  You can also feed in the trap - the cat usually backs into the opposite end of the trap from where you are.  Keep the crate or trap covered with a blanket or sheet - this helps keep the cat calm.

There are several shelters available online.  Feral Villa makes both stations and shelters.  I bought one of their ready-to-assemble villas and it was easy peasy to put together.

I have also made many shelters out of Rubbermaid totes.  One caregiver I made them put hers on pallets and then covered them with plywood.  Eventually, she positioned them so she could put a "roof" on them, complete with shingles.  They have lasted for eight years and are still in good shape.

We have all been where you are and have each faced obstacles, so ask away!  The support here is invaluable.  Keep us posted!
I want to add, succesful homeless have usually the immune system and the healing meat above average.  They must have, otherwise they would perish soon.

And thus, the recovalescent time is often shorten than for an average family girl.  Which is good to know if by any reason, you can not keep them inside. It may be they get impatient and begin to climb the walls, it may be you dont have suitable resources. Or even there are their kittens out there whom you didnt managed to find.

Still, do keep them females several days if possible, till you are sure everything is OK.  A big bonus is, sometimes it turns out in that time this female is excellent candidate for fostering. If so, its just to proceed and foster...

Ondine  reminds you can use the trap as a cage if necessary.  A similiar tip, when you trap for the TNR, you dont need to trap them immediately before the visit.  It would put a moment of stress on you.

You can easily trap them even a full day before, and let them wait in the trap.  Perhaps not optimal, but the shy cats are used to hide in a hidey 24 hours running and even more.  Just cover the trap so it is as a hidey.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Much Thanks! The humane society will keep them a day at least I have been told. Finding them a secure recovery area is problematic. Thanks for the advice on those ultra shy ones. I think one of mine has a broken leg but he won't let me close enough to even get a good look. Maybe a she...really can't tell.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Much Thanks! The humane society will keep them a day at least I have been told. Finding them a secure recovery area is problematic. Thanks for the advice on those ultra shy ones. I think one of mine has a broken leg but he won't let me close enough to even get a good look. Maybe a she...really can't tell.
That means they themselves do guarantee the minimum recovery time.  That means also, if you dont have suitable recovery place, you can essentially just release them... Just make sure they are reasonably safe and sound at the releasing place, so they dont need to defend themselves immediately they were released, but can take it easy and find shelter, food and water without any trouble.

That short recovery isnt necessarlily optimal, but if you cant give more, its no catastrophe.

An aspect with shy semiferales whom are sick or wounded.  If they get your help, and they know you are helping them, it makes the Window of easy socialization opens up again.  It can go surprising quickly sometimes.  The drawback?  If they are THAT severly sick, they may die of it and often do.   but those whom survive tx to your care, are almost automaticly fostered.

But you must of course catch them first.  Or even better, they themselves come to you.  IF they do, you know you are into that zone.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks I am very worried about recovery time but not attempting to get them TNR seems much worse somehow. Most of them are staying several yards from me. They have started coming into sight and just sit watching me. There are about 5 that will run up and great me as long as I don't reach for them. There is one who begs go be petted and wants belly rubs....hoping to get him homed...I think he wants to be an indoor cat.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One tip - if you ever reach out to them, use your fist, not an open hand.  It will look like a cat's head, attempting a head bump.  They may or may not respond - which is fine.  But an open hand is a challenge and it will frighten them/cause them to swat.

Again - what a wonderful thing you are doing!

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Again, thanks so much! Just getting ready go take them morning feeding. Am going to try that fist thing if they're willing!

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: the fist thing worked...well kinda...got my hand slapped away but no claws or hissing. Broken leg came out of hiding (within four feet of me!!!) has started using leg a little bit. Leg is bloody around elbow (what is that called on a cat?). It is wet and rainy so not a big turn out but some of the ultra shy were making their presence known. Question: some cats refuse to go near food until others finish....normal? dominence thing?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update: the fist thing worked...well kinda...got my hand slapped away but no claws or hissing. Broken leg came out of hiding (within four feet of me!!!) has started using leg a little bit. Leg is bloody around elbow (what is that called on a cat?). It is wet and rainy so not a big turn out but some of the ultra shy were making their presence known. Question: some cats refuse to go near food until others finish....normal? dominence thing?
Often its a dominance thing, sometimes it may be some are extra shy and cautious even to their  alikes.  And sometimes its vice versa: a parenting, caretaking cat lets his or hers protegees eat first.

A wise caretaker observes closely, and makes sure all do get their share, if not in first session, so in second.

Last edited:

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am trying to get pictures of all of them but my cell phone only zooms so far. I have to admit I find them most beautiful.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am venting...former so called care taker being a real pain. His place is right off the back porch. He used to just open his door and toss the cats leftovers then got mad because the males started spraying there. He is mad over my creating a feed station away from house..and basically the landlord backing me up and helping me. Every chance he gets he's not some mean comment or tries making a racket to scare cats from new feed station. Oh and this morning I got to hear how the cats are barfing all over the yard...that's new to me..
and he doesn't want his new puppy in it. Grrrrrr.......he started this mess.......

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vent away - sounds like you have good reason.  Perhaps you can get a video camera and record his shenanigans.  At the very least, you will have a record of his behaviors.  I will never understand people - especially foolish people like him.

You are doing the right thing and it is so great you have the landlord's support.

Is there another place you can put the feeding station - farther from his place, maybe?