Starting Feral Cat Caretaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patches and kittens will be in foster care for about four weeks. When it's safe to separate the kittens they will spay Patches and return her here. The kittens will remain on foster being socialized until old enough to be nuetered and put up for adoption.

I was told to take it easy for a couple of weeks (no trapping). Then start trapping for Tweedle and Dweedle (the two kittens). After all for all we know now they could he female. They just started coming to feeding station today. Going to let them get used to being fed there regularly.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right-on with your plans.  When Tweedle and Dweedle are trapped, will that be it?  You have done such an awesome job, I hope you get a break.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's still Wolfie and Newbie, both males. My less than sane neighbor considers them hers though. I am on the fence about trapping them. I seriously don't want to deal with her drama. Everyone else TNR'd!!!!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You rock!  Any advice from the rescue on how to handle those two?  I have a rule - if a cat comes onto my property, he or she is fixed ASAP.  So far, no one has complained but unfortunately, all the cats I've had fixed were dumped or strays.  As it turns out, I managed to find homes for them all, too.

Last edited:

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've pretty much followed the same rule and have nuetered several of the cats the neighbor says are hers. Well depends what day and who she's talking to. One day five or six cats were hers next day only two were hers. Landlord and Humane Society both think I should TNR all the cats. We all doubt she would not know if they were fixed or not. However, Humane Society wants me to do it somehow where that neighbor won't see whats going on. She really causes a rucus. According to a neighbor two houses behind me they could hear her screaming at me from inside their house. That was the neighbor who was so gracious about our trapping in her yard.

So I probably will trap them but right now seeing as they're males it can wait till I finish getting all of mine. Just gotta learn how to be sneakier.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a law that said any cat that goes outside has to be fixed?  Gee, you think someone would get onto that.

Or maybe there's a rule that says "You feed 'em, you fix 'em."

*sigh*  I can dream, can't I?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
>> Ondine

That would be an awesome law. In fact all pets, be it inside or outside, should be fixed because if they aren't fixed they will likely be hell-bent on getting outside. I would never blame a pet not fixed for wanting to do what is natural and escape to the outside to get some action.

I would also be down with "You feed 'em, you fix 'em." but at the same time setup formal government subsidies to help cat care / rescue people get it done. Registered with the government and no money to the people just some sort of spay/neuter vouchers as sure enough the scam artists would screw it all up if they get the chance.

I thought ID chips should be mandatory but someone pointed out that could force some people to kill a pet as opposed to dumping it somewhere or leaving it behind. Unfortunately they are correct and I would be against making it mandatory for that very reason. My two work kittens would not be my work kittens if someone had to kill the mother as opposed to dumping her at my work place. I figure the mother was dumped because not a lot of houses close to my work. She could have wandered here but one of my co-workers says it is more likely the mother was dumped. We are just outside the city at the end of a road with forest and he said that is typical location someone would dump a cat.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

>> Ondine

That would be an awesome law. In fact all pets, be it inside or outside, should be fixed because if they aren't fixed they will likely be hell-bent on getting outside. I would never blame a pet not fixed for wanting to do what is natural and escape to the outside to get some action.

I would also be down with "You feed 'em, you fix 'em." but at the same time setup formal government subsidies to help cat care / rescue people get it done. Registered with the government and no money to the people just some sort of spay/neuter vouchers as sure enough the scam artists would screw it all up if they get the chance.

I thought ID chips should be mandatory but someone pointed out that could force some people to kill a pet as opposed to dumping it somewhere or leaving it behind. Unfortunately they are correct and I would be against making it mandatory for that very reason. My two work kittens would not be my work kittens if someone had to kill the mother as opposed to dumping her at my work place. I figure the mother was dumped because not a lot of houses close to my work. She could have wandered here but one of my co-workers says it is more likely the mother was dumped. We are just outside the city at the end of a road with forest and he said that is typical location someone would dump a cat.
I agree that there should be some sort of low or no cost spaying and neutering.  Right now, our taxes pay to kill these animals in shelters.  Why not a tax to fix them?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"Why not a tax to fix them?"

I would be 100% behind that.

Just thinking of the county in Ontario, Canada of 65000 people with 30000 stray and feral cats. Was in the news a week or two ago, what a shameful thing. Made me feel sick when I read it. I guess the people running things there felt they had better things to spend their money on, I cannot for the life of me think of what. What the heck could justify cruelty on a mass scale like that, absolutely nothing. I think of the word 'disgrace' when I think of that county. The county is called Norfolk and the thought of that place makes me sick. However, if it comes out that more towns / counties are in the same boat I will put the blame 100% on our provincial government. Should be dealt with at the provincial level if several towns / counties are not able to cope.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would it be going to far to require owners of outdoor cats to have somekind of documents saying cats are nuetered? Possible heavy fine for not nuetering? Maybe to far. Just a bit to tired of dealing with nutty neighbors. I am very lucky with our TNR clinic. It only costs me $20 to nueter and get shots I've seen where others have to pay much more. Some have paid close to ten times that! How can that be justified?

Oh, today's drama. Three more kittens found in trailer this morning! Patches had 7 kittens! Going out in a big way I quess. They were in the same trailer but in a different location...why I don't know. Humane Society was here in record time to get them. Also requested I take a few weeks off from trapping. Not that I don't like you but...then she spotted Tweedle and Dweedle. You know you better TNR those two real soon.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
>> JaneM

I think all pets, be it indoor or outdoor. Poor indoor pets must go a little crazy wanting to get outside to do what is natural. As well, there are lots of people that have indoor pets that are not responsible people and get a pet like it is a toy for their kid. Some of those pets end up neglected and are likely to go unnoticed should they get outside to do what is natural. I mean neglect including not giving the animal attention.

In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada the Humane Society is $75 TNR for feral cats. That is like 20 dollars American, just kidding, our dollar isn't that bad, $75 Canadian is just under $57 US.

The $75 is for checkup, deworm, shots, spay or neuter, and id chip. If the cat is healthy you get it back to release so long as there is a person to care for and feed it. I called the Ottawa Humane Society for advice on two feral kittens. I took the kittens to my vet instead, didn't want to burden the Humane Society when I could pay for it myself. The Humane Society's resources are limited and I figure that is two more other kitties they can help. I got both kittens deworm, shots, spay / neuter, and id chip.

My two kittens are no longer feral and have been living in the building I work at for over two and a half months. They will forever be indoor cats, too many hazards and wild animals around my work place.

Mice get in our building in the fall but I don't think that will be an issue this fall 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am hopeful that attitudes are changing.  When I was a girl a neighbor let his cat have kittens all the time.  If they didn't run away or found other homes, he drowned them.  Thought nothing of it. Thank goodness he'd be charged with animal cruelty today.

I lived in the country and unfortunately, have many more examples.  We are evolving and our efforts are changing things.  Keep up your work, Jane  It counts!

$20 is an incredible deal - even $57 is.  Where I used to live in NJ, the lowest price was $110 just for the spay or neuter.  And that was at the SPCA!  There was a group that worked to lower the price and which succeeded on occasion with grants and such.  I've heard the SPCA has begun to tackle the overpopulation issue by applying for grants for no-cost S/N programs, which surprised me but made me very happy.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Ondine  >> I am with you on "I am hopeful that attitudes are changing."

I hope I have changed the attitudes of the people around me because every little bit helps.

I think the cost of TNR at Ottawa Humane Society depends a lot on their yearly budget. I am fairly certain they said $75 Canadian each but I was more focused on what to do with the kittens and not so much on the cost. It was also end of the year, mid November, so they may have had surplus money for TNR. If they said more than $75 it wasn't much because I can remember thinking "wow is that reasonable".

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would love to see some kind of law, including both cats and dogs. The biggest problem, that I see, would be enforcement. People who care are the ones who get annual vaccinations and licenses for their pets. All a person has to do is not take pets anywhere, get any care for them and not let neighbors see them. You'd think that would only work for people in the country, yet, how many cases of hoarding do we see that is done by people living in towns and cities? I have no idea how the neighbors don't see, or AT LEAST, smell something!

My fear is anyone that feels like they might get caught, aren't going to run to the vet and get the animals taken care of, they will either dump or kill them. 

Living in the country I've been tempted to go around to the different farms and ask about how they handle their cat populations. I'm curious, but don't have the guts to find out. I believe there has been progress, but I'd only have to find one or two that do something like drown babies (or adults) and I would lose it. 

Until recently there was a young man that set leg hold traps, perfectly legally, by a creek less than half a mile from my house. That was the cause of many nightmares!

It sounds so great that shelters encourage people to surrender pets, rather than dump them. If the shelter requires a fee, that blows the whole idea! One shelter here charges $40. for anyone to surrender a pet. Strays are free, so that helps, but... for one you have to admit the animal was a pet in order to give any background, which could be vitally important.

OK, off my soapbox.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
>> KSKatt

I agree there are many pit falls. If spay / neuter is covered by taxes you can bet "some" vets would scam the system just as "some" doctors have been caught scamming health care systems and insurance. I emphasized some because in no way do I want to offend vets or doctors.

In Canada the tobacco companies are forced to print pictures of things like cancer patients on the cigarette packages. Trying to discourage people. Would be nice if they printed "please don't dump your pet" on pet food. No pictures of hurt animals as that would likely turn people off, especially in a grocery store. Just "please don't dump your pet" and talk about how bleak life can be for a stray animal. Doesn't have to be on the front of the package but preferably somewhat large letters on the back so it catches people's eyes. List suggestions and instructions for people that have a need to get rid of a pet. Sympathize with people and point out it is not their fault they can no longer keep the pet. Would be nice that followed up with free anonymous no questions asked drop spots and a promise that if their pet is chipped it will be kept confidential. And possibly a promise that if the pet has been neglected no actions will be taken. I know that last bit is hard to swallow but I feel it is better than the person killing or dumping the pet.

I know I am not supposed to talk politics on here and this is borderline, but just this tiny bit. It is debatable how much of climate change (global warming) is caused by humans but there is absolutely no debate who is responsible for domestic animals. We humans are 100% responsible and no debating that. I don't wish to debate the subject of climate change with anyone on here. I am not saying climate change is not real or caused by us just that it is debatable. If it wasn't debatable then people wouldn't be debating it. I would just like to think we should totally deal with the problems we know we cause before we go chasing down other problems. Society sometimes feels like a bunch of half completed projects and dealing with animals we are responsible for should not be one of them.

On a lighter note : We need lots of cat burglars, except they break in to check the pets and if need be temporarily take the pets for spay or neuter ;)

Last edited:

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both Tweedle and Dweedle came to the feeding station today. They both still prefer to feed when I move to the other side of the yard but they have very timidly nippled with me there. Dweedle just stood staring at Rudy who climbed on my lap begging for cuddling. It seems he thought it very strange.

Sigh...nutty neighbor came by yesterday to find out why Humane Society van has here. Really hoping trapping Tweedle and Dweedle won't be another scene. Hoping to time their trapping with Patches return. Less time on road for TNR coordinator.

I AM MISSING PATCHES BIG TIME....sob.

janem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both Tweedle and Dweedle ate at the feeding station tonight with me there! Seems like it took forever forward them to feel comfortable enough to even come into view. Week after next should trap them.

Nutty neighbor was sqauking about turning a hose on "my" cats. Trying to get a rise out of me ... again. Several people have commented on how much better the cats are looking since I started feeding them. Must have pissed her off. More than half the cats I am feeding are supposed go be hers. Come to think of it same for the nuetering. Sour grapes?