Status
Not open for further replies.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

The crockpots a slow cooker isn't it?.

Usually if i cook some pork steaks in foil i put slices of apple on top, so is that all you do in the crockpot?
Yes it is Susan. Years ago we called them crockpots, now they are normally referred to as slow cookers.

The only thing I don't like about slow cookers is that all the recipes I seem to find ask for cans of soup or bouillon to be added. I don't mind the bouillon so much as long as it isn't overly salty, but I do not like cooking with canned soups.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The crockpots a slow cooker isn't it?.

Usually if i cook some pork steaks in foil i put slices of apple on top, so is that all you do in the crockpot?
Yep, the slow cooker. We have a stovetop chicken recipe that uses apples, onions and red bell pepper along with some spices and apple juice so I may try to adapt that to the pork in the slow cooker instead.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've heard of using soup but never tried it. I just use a casserole mix like these ones from Colmans

http://www.britishfooddirect.com/ind...&cPath=244_247
You've given me some ideas. Knorr has some lovely packets of "stuff" like that and I like the quality of Knorr over most of the others so I'll definitely look for some that strike my fancy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Yep, the slow cooker. We have a stovetop chicken recipe that uses apples, onions and red bell pepper along with some spices and apple juice so I may try to adapt that to the pork in the slow cooker instead.
Oooh that does sound good and I'll bet it will work very well.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My thoughts exactly! Nice way to use up leftovers.

I actually enjoy thinking up ways to use leftovers. Last evening I picked up some muchrooms on my way home. I sauteed onions and mushrooms in a mix of butter and olive oil, added basil, salt and pepper. Let that cook a bit and then added a peeled, chopped fresh tomato. I found a container of leftover carrots and about 1 potato from Sunday so chopped the potato and added that and the carrots to the mushroom mixture. Then I made scrambled eggs and placed lots of the mushroom mixture over the top. I combined it all with a salad of different lettuces, edible flowers, tomato, cucumber and pine nuts. Very tasty and easy.
Oh, serious yums!

For us, chicken. I have some thighs that I'll drop in some BBQ sauce for a while and then skewer and stick on the grill. The Scarlet Runners keep producing, so we'll have some more of those and some little nugget potatoes. I used to parboil them and then skewer them and put them on the BBQ -- haven't done that for a while, so maybe I will tonight for a change.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That should be tasty!
It turned out really good, I found a red bell pepper in the fridge that needed using and diced up an onion, tossed it all together, made a brown gravy/sauce and topped it all with pecans that were hiding in the freezer. It really turned out tasty!

Tonight...we hit Hometown Buffet while we were out shopping, we got hungry before the grocery store and I know better than to shop hungry!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by badgeygirl

It turned out really good, I found a red bell pepper in the fridge that needed using and diced up an onion, tossed it all together, made a brown gravy/sauce and topped it all with pecans that were hiding in the freezer. It really turned out tasty!
To my mind, the essence of a good casserole is to take the things you have on hand and marry them into something new, with an interesting identity of its own. Sounds like you did that in spades.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

To my mind, the essence of a good casserole is to take the things you have on hand and marry them into something new, with an interesting identity of its own. Sounds like you did that in spades.
That is exactly how I cook most of the time. My fiancee can't read, so he'll just grab a random white package of meat out of the freezer to thaw if I haven't done it before work so a lot of my cooking is spur of the moment. We hardly ever have the same thing twice because I make it up as I go.
Always tastes good though.

cattoys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Just a burger for me tonight, with lettuce, pickles, and red onion. And for dessert a nice ripe mango..
would love one too... throw some fries with it too...

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've heard of using soup but never tried it. I just use a casserole mix like these ones from Colmans

http://www.britishfooddirect.com/ind...&cPath=244_247
Susan, is the Cottage Pie one good? we've been trying to make that here a few times, but we can't seem to get the flavor right, lol. A packet would be great, but I'm not sure they sell anything like that here.

Oooh that does sound good and I'll bet it will work very well.
Well, Doug is in charge of the slow cooker today, so no telling what he will put in it
I told him what I wanted him to add, but who knows what else he will add, lol.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to have Chicken Angelo tonight (chicken, garlic, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, white wine) over red wine noodles. I have some extra veggies from the farmers market that I will marinate and roast as well. Yummy.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's only a few days since we had pasta, but I think I'm going to do the little tomato and basil sauce we like tonight. The basil needs to be pinched back again and I have plenty of nice fresh tomatoes. This time I'll use a filled pasta -- there are a couple in the freezer to choose from. We need a quick easy dinner tonight, so that will work.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's only a few days since we had pasta, but I think I'm going to do the little tomato and basil sauce we like tonight. The basil needs to be pinched back again and I have plenty of nice fresh tomatoes. This time I'll use a filled pasta -- there are a couple in the freezer to choose from. We need a quick easy dinner tonight, so that will work.
Fran, I love fresh tomato sauce done with fresh tomato and basil. When tomatos get ripe I often do this. I have it with penne and broccoli or with angel's hair and green beans. Truly yummy.

Hubby's band is playing at the Inn in one of the little villages in our area tonight so he'll be eating there as he pretty much has to leave with his equipment right after work. I'll probably have an omelette or something easy with a salad. I still have a few of the lovely greens left from those we bought at the Farmers' market on the weekend.

I just need to tell you folks that I bought the Tupperware containers that keep veggies fresh and they were worth every penny. I often had to throw out veggies, especially broccoli, because we didn't always get to them before they went bad. I can easily keep broccoli 3 weeks and it is still bright green and lovely. We bought a large amount of local strawberries a few weeks ago on a Tuesday night - we finished the berries on Sunday and they were lovely. I can't say enough good things about those containers. I even went back to buy extras and gave our daughter a nice rectangular one as well. They have already paid for themselves by saving produce that I would probably have had to put in the compost. OK - plug for Tupperware over.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Fran, I love fresh tomato sauce done with fresh tomato and basil. When tomatos get ripe I often do this. I have it with penne and broccoli or with angel's hair and green beans. Truly yummy.
Oh, what a good idea! I have a ton of beans from the garden, too. I think I'll add some.

I just need to tell you folks that I bought the Tupperware containers that keep veggies fresh and they were worth every penny. I often had to throw out veggies, especially broccoli, because we didn't always get to them before they went bad. I can easily keep broccoli 3 weeks and it is still bright green and lovely. We bought a large amount of local strawberries a few weeks ago on a Tuesday night - we finished the berries on Sunday and they were lovely. I can't say enough good things about those containers. I even went back to buy extras and gave our daughter a nice rectangular one as well. They have already paid for themselves by saving produce that I would probably have had to put in the compost. OK - plug for Tupperware over.
Plug received! I must look into those. I really like the Ziplock veggie bags, but they work better for some things than others. I also have a system for berries: I saved some of the plastic tubs that they (used to) come in, and as soon as I get them home, I wash and pick over, and put the drained berries into one of those tubs, lined bottom and top with a quadruple thickness of paper towel. If the tub does not have its own lid, into a veggie bag it goes. Berries are protected, not sitting in wet, but also not drying out. They keep as well as they need to
which isn't long around here.

However, there are definitely other things -- like broccoli! -- that I'd love to give these things a crack at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I had a Tex-Mex Chicken Wrap. I made it by sauteing together chicken, red peppers, green peppers, and red onions. Then added lettuce, tomato, Salsa, Cheddar Cheese and a little guacamole. It was really yummy. For dessert peaches and table cream.....

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You folks make me so hungry. Kim that sounds great.

I ended up cooking some of the veggies I got from the market on Saturday, shelled the peas, picked out the smallest green beans and tiny, teeny potatoes, new carrots and it's all cooking together as I type. As soon as it is finished cooking, in goes heaps of butter and 10% cream and I'll have one of my favourite meals - New vegetables in cream and butter. For veggie lovers this is delicious. In the Maritimes they call it HodgePodge and it's a favourite when the garden starts coming in.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made some kafta, orzo salad with artchichokes, avocado and olives and fried potatoes and fresh hot italian bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.