So what's on the menu tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think tonight is going to be simple. Some chicken with some pasta side dish. Since I only have to cook for one now it makes things a lot easier.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We have broccoli every night and I never smell it - how do you cook your broccoli?

I am not a big fan of cooking in the microwave and don't like potatoes or carrots done in the microwave but I do love my broccoli and asparagus done that way. I put enough broccoli (large servings actually) for John and myself, add about a teaspoon of water and nuke for 3 minutes. The broccoli comes out perfect. If you use less broccoli then go for 2 minutes, drain and voila - perfect broccoli.
I gave up on potatoes in the microwave ages ago, too, but I love broccoli done that way. Sometimes, instead of water, I put two or three pats of butter, a good sprinkle of dill and another of parmesan. No goodies to pour off, and already buttered for the table. I do something similar with carrots, except instead of the dill and parmesan, I use a good sprinkle of ground garlic.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just leftover peanut chicken stirfry as I am in class from 1-9 and will have hardly any breaks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I gave up on potatoes in the microwave ages ago, too, but I love broccoli done that way. Sometimes, instead of water, I put two or three pats of butter, a good sprinkle of dill and another of parmesan. No goodies to pour off, and already buttered for the table. I do something similar with carrots, except instead of the dill and parmesan, I use a good sprinkle of ground garlic.
What a great idea - I'm going to try that tomorrow night. I'll pass on the dill as hubby isn't a big fan but love the idea of butter and parmesan.

When I do my asparagus instead of melting butter and adding some lemon juice I could just put that on the asparagus instead of water as well.

I'm excited about dinner now! Thank you Fran.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What a great idea - I'm going to try that tomorrow night. I'll pass on the dill as hubby isn't a big fan but love the idea of butter and parmesan.
Also works with cauliflower, which I don't do often, but we like it for a change.

When I do my asparagus instead of melting butter and adding some lemon juice I could just put that on the asparagus instead of water as well.
Hmmm...why didn't I think of that! What a good idea.

I'm excited about dinner now! Thank you Fran.
Always happy to share.

For tonight, I have avocado and mango begging to be used, so I think we'll have our little favourite salad which combines those with tomato and feta. Pork Cutlets on the BBQ, I think, but not sure what starch -- there are plenty of nugget potatoes, so I might do something with them...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel like cooking tonight, so we ordered grinders from a local place up the road. Turkey & bacon for me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not overly hungry tonight so just had a bowl of Asparagus Soup with some shredded chedder on it. Two peaches for dessert, I picked up a basket at the Farmer's Market a couple of day ago so I have been eating lots of them to get them used up before they get to ripe...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH was kind enough to make grilled pork chops and mashed potatoes. He put too much milk in the taters though, so ended up getting creative to fix it and adding sweet corn. It was tasty!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by badgeygirl

I'm taking last night's leftovers, roast beef and broccoli and making an egg noodle casserole out of them.
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That should be tasty!
My thoughts exactly! Nice way to use up leftovers.

I actually enjoy thinking up ways to use leftovers. Last evening I picked up some muchrooms on my way home. I sauteed onions and mushrooms in a mix of butter and olive oil, added basil, salt and pepper. Let that cook a bit and then added a peeled, chopped fresh tomato. I found a container of leftover carrots and about 1 potato from Sunday so chopped the potato and added that and the carrots to the mushroom mixture. Then I made scrambled eggs and placed lots of the mushroom mixture over the top. I combined it all with a salad of different lettuces, edible flowers, tomato, cucumber and pine nuts. Very tasty and easy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Chicken Stir-Fry for me tonight, and peaches for dessert...
Have you got Ontario peaches already?

Have you tried the Red Haven peaches? Those are hubby's favourite. One of our local Farmers' Markets has a gentleman that brings them in fresh from Niagara-on-the-Lake every Saturday and John brings home 2-3 6 quart baskets every Saturday. He loves his peaches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you got Ontario peaches already?

Have you tried the Red Haven peaches? Those are hubby's favourite. One of our local Farmers' Markets has a gentleman that brings them in fresh from Niagara-on-the-Lake every Saturday and John brings home 2-3 6 quart baskets every Saturday. He loves his peaches.
Yes we just started getting Ontario Peaches at our Farmer's Market about a week ago. Not sure what kind they are because they aren't marked, but they are the smaller ones that are really juicy. Now I am just waiting for the concord grapes to arrive

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Most likely pizza... lots of pizza. I don't know what kinds yet, but at least two varieties... Today is moving day so to bring folks into helping, I am doing lots of pizza for dinner.

Amanda
We are helping some friends with moving so it will probably be pizza for us tonight also. Seems pizza is the standard moving meal!

Tomorrow I plan to do something with a pork tenderloin in the crockpot. Not sure what but it will likely involve apples

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Tomorrow I plan to do something with a pork tenderloin in the crockpot. Not sure what but it will likely involve apples
The crockpots a slow cooker isn't it?.

Usually if i cook some pork steaks in foil i put slices of apple on top, so is that all you do in the crockpot?

Status
Not open for further replies.