Rescued Feral Kitten--need Advice

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread and you are a rockstar! I trapped 4 semiferal kittens thanksgiving week and they are now 6 months old. 3 of the 4 are very social to us but the 4th I call Shyboy is taking a long time. He still hisses and swats and I can not touch him. Got him to purr yesterday for the first time ever with a feather wand yesterday and thought we finally had a breakthrough but then today he is back to his hissing and swatting. Your story gives me hope. How is gingerkitty doing? How was his appointment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread and you are a rockstar! I trapped 4 semiferal kittens thanksgiving week and they are now 6 months old. 3 of the 4 are very social to us but the 4th I call Shyboy is taking a long time. He still hisses and swats and I can not touch him. Got him to purr yesterday for the first time ever with a feather wand yesterday and thought we finally had a breakthrough but then today he is back to his hissing and swatting. Your story gives me hope. How is gingerkitty doing? How was his appointment?
Hi 66kittymama,

You're the rockstar! Four of them! Hopefully Shyboy will keep getting better and better! Some of them take awhile!

Ginger kitty is very sick. He has a massive kidney infection and UTI, and they found something in his liver and the vet has no idea what it is. But it's not critical, so when he's feeling better he'll have an ultrasound. He goes back in 4 weeks for a checkup.

He lost 4 lbs. and it's a miracle he didn't end up with hepatic lipidosis. They put him on an appetite stimulant so he is eating again.

Under the circumstances, it's better if I surrender Loki or find him a good home even if he's not fully socialized--he's come a long, long way in 2 weeks and another couple of weeks and he should be ready. I got him on the waiting list at a local rescue and although it's breaking my heart, it's for the best. Ginger cat is very grumpy and went after my 13 lb. calico this morning just because she got too close to him. I can't integrate Loki with him acting this way, and it's not right to keep him locked up in my bedroom. A friend of mine offered to take him while I'm finding him a home and while I'm waiting for the rescue to let me know there's an opening. She's fostered before and she has a bunch of her own.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi 66kittymama,

You're the rockstar! Four of them! Hopefully Shyboy will keep getting better and better! Some of them take awhile!

Ginger kitty is very sick. He has a massive kidney infection and UTI, and they found something in his liver and the vet has no idea what it is. But it's not critical, so when he's feeling better he'll have an ultrasound. He goes back in 4 weeks for a checkup.

He lost 4 lbs. and it's a miracle he didn't end up with hepatic lipidosis. They put him on an appetite stimulant so he is eating again.

Under the circumstances, it's better if I surrender Loki or find him a good home even if he's not fully socialized--he's come a long, long way in 2 weeks and another couple of weeks and he should be ready. I got him on the waiting list at a local rescue and although it's breaking my heart, it's for the best. Ginger cat is very grumpy and went after my 13 lb. calico this morning just because she got too close to him. I can't integrate Loki with him acting this way, and it's not right to keep him locked up in my bedroom. A friend of mine offered to take him while I'm finding him a home and while I'm waiting for the rescue to let me know there's an opening. She's fostered before and she has a bunch of her own.

Awe I'm sorry to hear that! Bless you for taking care of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At long last, an update on Loki and Poochy.

Poochy had a really bad UTI. He was so sick I didn't think he was going to make it, but he pulled through. He had lost almost 1/3 of his body weight, so they gave him subcutaneous fluids, an antibiotic, an appetite stimulant and a week's worth of very high calorie wet food.

Within a week he was doing so much better. He gained a pound in a week and was on the mend. He's completely fine now, and he and Loki (who is almost 9 months old now) get along great. He's Loki's favorite playmate, and Poochy lets him know when a) he's had enough and b) Loki is being too rough.

Here's a recent photo. If the size of his feet and tail are anything to go by, he's going to be a big cat. His weight is finally starting to catch up with his growth spurt so he doesn't look like a half-starved teenage boy any more. :)
Loki.jpg