Rescued Feral Kitten--need Advice

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It's been awhile! But I have a new drama unfolding...

On Friday, my neighbor accidentally trapped a 4 month old feral kitten. I took the kitten until the rescue organization could take her because I have spare bedroom.

A little bit of background. Just before Thanksgiving, out of nowhere a neighborhood cat appears outside my neighbor's shed with four kittens around 7-8 weeks old. The husband wanted nothing to do with them, but wouldn't listen to anyone about how to go about trapping a family of cats. So...of course he botched the job. They got three of the kittens, but not the fourth kitten or Mom. I got the three kittens to foster care, and the last I heard they were doing wonderfully. We got a trapper to come in and help, but the night before Thanksgiving, the husband said he was tired of the trapper coming onto his property and if they didn't get Mom and the last kitten that night, "they were on their own". He spent the day after Thanksgiving blocking up every inch of their shed and tossed my trap over the fence with the food dish still in it. The man is a total nut.

For two months, no one had seen the fourth kitten even though Mom was around. I thought it was dead, to be honest. Then around the end of January the last kitten appears with Mom and has been beebopping around the neighborhood as Mom teaches her to survive. Mom must have had that kitten on lockdown, because no one in the neighborhood had seen it.

I was off on Friday and since it was a nice day, I went out to rake leaves. The wife neighbor comes outside and goes into the shed. She came right back out, called me over, and said, "Guess what's in the shed, in a trap?"

When the husband threw his hissy fit, they just left their trap in the shed and never closed it. (As I said, mine got tossed over the fence.) The same food dish from November was still in there. Fortunately, the kitten couldn't have been in there very long--it was around Thursday night.

So, I took the kitten and put it in my spare room, and called the rescue organization I dealt with last time. They said that at that age, it's probably completely feral and so it would be a TNR. That was Friday. By Sunday (yesterday) I still hadn't heard back from the woman.

The poor kitten was terrified (understandably), but was not aggressive at all. Eating, drinking and using the litter pan, and by Saturday night was interested in playing but too scared to engage. By Sunday morning I was able to pet her and in about 30 seconds she was rolling around looking for belly rubs. I also managed to get her to eat chicken baby food from a spoon. Go me!

This morning, she would meow whenever I'd leave the room. Unfortunately, I had to go to work, but she's getting used to people. She can be tamed.

I messaged the rescue lady yesterday with a video of how well this kitten was responding. She messaged me back, "You can pet her??" Yes, obviously.

I STILL have not heard back from them. WTF?? I've had this cat for 4 days and they can't even give me the courtesy of, "I'm sorry, but we don't have any fosters available right now, but here are your options." I even said I'd be willing to foster her myself if they don't have anyone. Nothing. Not a peep! It's ridiculous and I'm getting really angry. I have four cats already; I can't keep this one. This cat needs to go to a vet for deworming, flea treatment, checkup and shots. It's not right that they keep me waiting this long.

It's totally unprofessional and uncaring. I understand that these people have lives, but four days? Come on.

So, what do I do with this kitten? As I said, I'd be willing to foster her myself, but I can't do that if they won't even give me the courtesy of a response. I can't keep her, and I absolutely will not take her to a shelter. She's still still semi-feral and even if they did take her, they'd probably euthanize her. She'd be better off if I let her loose than that. (I'm not going to let her loose, I'm just saying.)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your willing to keep her for awhile, you may be able to tame her enough to be adoptable. It seems the kitten has had some socialization already, so I think it is doable. You would have to keep her in a separate room away from your kitties. You would have to get her vetted through a rescue, unless you can pay for it yourself.

There are some great kitten school video's on youtube:
kitten school dormouse - YouTube

It's a lot of work to help kittens, but it can be very rewarding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Surya,

Thanks for your response. I would need help with the initial vet bills (my vet would charge around $400) but after that I'd be fine. It's the "vetted through a rescue"--how can I do that when they won't even bother responding????

It's beyond ridiculous. It really is. They claim to care about these animals, but it seems to me they just want the donations and don't really want to help. All I was looking for was a response, and can't even get that.

The woman I've been dealing with has been posting all over Facebook, so I know she's around. I guess if they're not 6 week old cuddly cuties, nobody cares.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's true, the older one's are low priority since they are not always the easiest to tame and get adopted. If the rescue lady knows that you are willing to foster for awhile, I think she will be more receptive. They may be overwhelmed with more requests for help then they can handle. Are there any other rescue people in the area? I was able to find some rescue help by searching facebook for cat rescue in my area.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t give up! I know it’s frustrating but I am betting that the rescue is swapped with TNR right now. It’s always a race against time when we approach kitten season. They also probably want a totally socialized kitten. Keep working with the kitten because when she is transferred to them she will get scared again. Try to expose her to other people if possible. Keep calling the rescue group. Persistence pays off. In the meantime ask around to try to find her a home. If you can convince someone to visit you , just to help acclimatize her to people, that person may fall in love with her. If you can get some basic vetting done it would be good. Maybe the rescue or local Humane Society could help. HS often has grant money available before kitten season to help with Spay/neuter, rabies and possibly other services. Your animal control may be able to provide information to services as well. Google other rescues in your area too. Rescues should know she is NOT feral.
You go! Great job! Your male neighbor isn’t very nice. Kudos to you for dealing with that on top of everything else. What he doesn’t understand is that if a colony developed there, he really wouldn’t be happy and by then there would be no way to go back. Cats walking all over his car might make an impression. Stepping in kitty land mines in his yard too. If it ever comes up again you might try explaining what that would be like if he does not cooperate and that you are actually trying to help everyone in the neighborhood to prevent this.
You’re awesome! Please let us know how things go!
The National Spay Alliance might be able to help too. :rock:

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's true, the older one's are low priority since they are not always the easiest to tame and get adopted. If the rescue lady knows that you are willing to foster for awhile, I think she will be more receptive. They may be overwhelmed with more requests for help then they can handle. Are there any other rescue people in the area? I was able to find some rescue help by searching facebook for cat rescue in my area.
Hi Surya,

I'm going to have to go with someone else. In our area, all these rescues know each other. I made it clear yesterday that this cat is tameable and even sent video. I don't know what more they need. And I did say I'd be willing to foster. Not even that got a response. It's upsetting and discouraging. No wonder more people don't try to help these cats if this is how you get treated--and I've worked with them before. All I'm asking is for some acknowledgement so that I'm not left hanging. I wonder how many people let the cats they trap back outside because no one will help them.

I'm going to stop at Animal Friends on my way home and talk to them. They're a big no-kill organization with foster to home programs so I'll see what they have to say and what they recommend. They have a low cost vet clinic, so if I can get her in there, then I'll go that route. It's just that all four of mine are due for their vet visits at $200 per cat minimum. I can't take on the expense of another one.

Don’t give up! I know it’s frustrating but I am betting that the rescue is swapped with TNR right now. It’s always a race against time when we approach kitten season. They also probably want a totally socialized kitten. Keep working with the kitten because when she is transferred to them she will get scared again. Try to expose her to other people if possible. Keep calling the rescue group. Persistence pays off. In the meantime ask around to try to find her a home. If you can convince someone to visit you , just to help acclimatize her to people, that person may fall in love with her. If you can get some basic vetting done it would be good. Maybe the rescue or local Humane Society could help. HS often has grant money available before kitten season to help with Spay/neuter, rabies and possibly other services. Your animal control may be able to provide information to services as well. Google other rescues in your area too. Rescues should know she is NOT feral.
You go! Great job! Your male neighbor isn’t very nice. Kudos to you for dealing with that on top of everything else. What he doesn’t understand is that if a colony developed there, he really wouldn’t be happy and by then there would be no way to go back. Cats walking all over his car might make an impression. Stepping in kitty land mines in his yard too. If it ever comes up again you might try explaining what that would be like if he does not cooperate and that you are actually trying to help everyone in the neighborhood to prevent this.
You’re awesome! Please let us know how things go!
The National Spay Alliance might be able to help too. :rock:
Thanks!

If I'm the one socializing the kitten and paying for its medical care, then I don't need them and I will not transfer her to anyone. Screw it. She's better off with me. At this point, I'm this close to posting on their FB page, "Thanks for nothing."

My teenage neighbor found out we had her and came running over to visit. LOL I might make her the babysitter!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic about their lack of communication. That is not nice on their part. I wouldn't burn my bridges with them though, in case you want to try and get help with kitties in the future. Even if you are paying for the vet care yourself, the rescue groups may be able to get a much cheaper rate and sometimes they have their own meds to treat cats with, so hopefully you can find someone to help bring the cost down or a rescue who will pay for it.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for sounding like I'm just ranting. I'm just really frustrated.

What else can I do to help her socialize? Confession: I know I'm putting my older cats at risk, but we had a huge storm blow through here yesterday and today and she was caged all by herself up on my third floor. (My daughter moved out so I have a whole finished attic as a spare bedroom.) The power kept going out and it is pitch dark up there, so I moved her down into my living room. My older cats are such sissies that they bolted back upstairs when they saw her, so I don't think I need to worry about actual contact with her. Even this morning they refused to come downstairs--I had to feed them in my bedroom. It's very sad. LOL What are the chances they're going to get something from her as long as there is no contact between them? I know it's not ideal, but this way not only is she not alone constantly, but she'll get used to the rhythm and bustle of a busy household. (She was fascinated by the TV.) My mother lives with us and is home all the time, so the cats are never alone. I can cage her in my bedroom if need be till I can either get her to foster care or get her to the vet.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic about their lack of communication. That is not nice on their part. I wouldn't burn my bridges with them though, in case you want to try and get help with kitties in the future. Even if you are paying for the vet care yourself, the rescue groups may be able to get a much cheaper rate and sometimes they have their own meds to treat cats with, so hopefully you can find someone to help bring the cost down or a rescue who will pay for it.
Oh, no problem. I can't wait much longer for them--this cat needs vet care. What's burning me up is my contact person is most definitely not doing TNR. She's partying. Which is fine, we all have lives, but obviously that's her priority.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First check out the kitten school video's. There are a lot of them, but you will get some really good tips. Like hand feeding the kitty, just spending time holding the kitty while you are watching TV. But I did it in small doses, if they seemed scared or uncomfortable, I did not force it on them. Interacting with the kitty by playing. They forget to be afraid when they are having fun. I worked with some older feral kittens for a little while and they loved to play like this:

https://www.chewy.com/bergan-turbo-...gphDuPsKFei_RW24AOWTzv-GhmHpwhe0aAnDBEALw_wcB

I would sit on one side and roll the ball to their side and they would slap it back to me. Your kitties will probably be alright, but I'm sure a vet would say not to take the risk without getting them checked out.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First check out the kitten school video's. There are a lot of them, but you will get some really good tips. Like hand feeding the kitty, just spending time holding the kitty while you are watching TV. But I did it in small doses, if they seemed scared or uncomfortable, I did not force it on them. Interacting with the kitty by playing. They forget to be afraid when they are having fun. I worked with some older feral kittens for a little while and they loved to play like this:

https://www.chewy.com/bergan-turbo-...gphDuPsKFei_RW24AOWTzv-GhmHpwhe0aAnDBEALw_wcB

I would sit on one side and roll the ball to their side and they would slap it back to me. Your kitties will probably be alright, but I'm sure a vet would say not to take the risk without getting them checked out.
Kitten school! LOL Love it! Thanks for the video. Will check out more too! I'm not forcing her to do anything she's not comfortable with. This goes at her pace.

Thanks for saying that about my older kitties. I know the chance of anything happening are small, but it's still a concern. If I do end up fostering her (or keeping her), my big male ginger will be the perfect one to teach her some manners. :)

I'm stopping at Animal Friends on my way home from work. I'll update on what they say.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I loved reading this thread (maybe "loved" sounds wrong - - -but hopefully you understand). I've been in your EXACT position before - - right down to having done all the work/monetary part of trapping/socializing kittens but not being able to get a returned call from a shelter even though I've said "I've done everything for this little guy - - geez oh pete I just need a little help!"

But I've got to admit, I've also been on the working at a shelter part, knowing exactly what it feels like to say "I've got 70 people who've called our answering machine about kittens ---didn't that not used to happen until May...and 5 people walked in the door with litters of kittens, two of which said they're going to toss them on the side of the freeway if I don't take them in right this second....and now I've got two people in line who want to adopt senior kitties.....and I've got to run to the vet off-the-clock to drop off 2 emergencies in the back...I'll make a dent in the callback list tomorrow."

Know I'm not saying you don't have EVERY right to be frustrated --- you've done SO much for this one!!!!!! And you definitely deserve the right to a call back. I'm just saying I've sadly flopped on the bed after a long day, knowing I had calls I should have returned but knowing I just couldn't give any more but I'd try to give more tomorrow (maybe this is why I don't work at a shelter right now? :(). Don't hate me that I admitted that. Thank goodness most towns have more than one shelter to spread the fun around! I think you're 100% right to move on to another shelter for now....just know your call could have gotten lost in the black hole of someone like me.

And again ----yeah that you've not giving up on this guy!!!!!! He sounds so sweet and like he really does love being loved. I'm glad he found you!!!!!

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let us know how it goes and post some pictures, please. :)
Pics to follow as soon as she wakes up. ☺

Animal Friends was very sympathetic when I explained the situation and seemed relieved I didn't want to put her in the shelter. They said my best bet is to continue to socialize her since I've already started with the goal of finding her a home. I can then apply for a home to home adoption process where I have the final say on who adopts her. So she has an appointment tomorrow morning for spay (or neuter lol), shots, deworming and flea/tick treatment. All for $40.

I feel better already. At least there's now a plan and I feel like I have some control over the situation.

I loved reading this thread (maybe "loved" sounds wrong - - -but hopefully you understand). I've been in your EXACT position before - - right down to having done all the work/monetary part of trapping/socializing kittens but not being able to get a returned call from a shelter even though I've said "I've done everything for this little guy - - geez oh pete I just need a little help!"

But I've got to admit, I've also been on the working at a shelter part, knowing exactly what it feels like to say "I've got 70 people who've called our answering machine about kittens ---didn't that not used to happen until May...and 5 people walked in the door with litters of kittens, two of which said they're going to toss them on the side of the freeway if I don't take them in right this second....and now I've got two people in line who want to adopt senior kitties.....and I've got to run to the vet off-the-clock to drop off 2 emergencies in the back...I'll make a dent in the callback list tomorrow."

Know I'm not saying you don't have EVERY right to be frustrated --- you've done SO much for this one!!!!!! And you definitely deserve the right to a call back. I'm just saying I've sadly flopped on the bed after a long day, knowing I had calls I should have returned but knowing I just couldn't give any more but I'd try to give more tomorrow (maybe this is why I don't work at a shelter right now? :(). Don't hate me that I admitted that. Thank goodness most towns have more than one shelter to spread the fun around! I think you're 100% right to move on to another shelter for now....just know your call could have gotten lost in the black hole of someone like me.

And again ----yeah that you've not giving up on this guy!!!!!! He sounds so sweet and like he really does love being loved. I'm glad he found you!!!!!
Oh, I know they're overwhelmed. In fact, the whiteboard at Animal Friends had the number of pending admissions: Cats 98, dogs 2, rabbits 0. But this isn't a shelter but a rescue and foster organization.

Considering I've worked with this woman before and she told me to get in touch if we got this kitten, and I've donated money to them, you'd think she could take 2 seconds by FB or text (she has my number) to just communicate what's going on.

And yes on the pics too!
After her nap, promise!