Rescued Feral Kitten--need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
9kay, Pandora is a boy...so his name is Loki! He's 5 months old and he seemed really glad to be home. They said he was a sweetie. ☺

I talked to my 22 year old daughter today. She moved to Oregon with her boyfriend but says they're moving back here in July because she has to be physically present at school for one class in the fall--she can't complete it at the World Campus (online) and she needs it to graduate in December. So...she offered to adopt him. They were going to adopt a kitty or two anyway. By then he should be ready to go. ☺

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And now the socialization process begins. With a few issues that I'm not sure how to deal with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My other cats are not handling this very well. I put Loki in my living room on Sunday because of the storms and he has been caged there since then. My dilemma is this:

My other cats aren't exactly handling this well. Two of them will come downstairs (they like to use the litter boxes in the basement) and they essentially ignore Loki. He, on the other hand, gets really excited when he sees them. It's like, "Ooo ooo, cats to play with!" They will occasionally sniff at him and once or twice my big male hissed at him, but other than that they have no interest in him. My calico is very shy by nature and really doesn't come downstairs a lot anyway, but when she does she's interested, but doesn't approach him.

It's my newest addition, the neighborhood homeless cat I took in last year, that's worrying me. She has not set foot downstairs in 5 days on her own, to the point where I am feeding her upstairs. I carried her down yesterday and she did stay down for awhile, even sniffing at the cage, but she is acting depressed. She's not her happy, cheerful self. I'm trying to give her lots of love and attention--maybe she just needs more time? Are ferals/outdoor cats that upset by changes? A few weeks ago, I rearranged my living room. She came downstairs, took one look, and ran back upstairs and hid under my bed for the rest of the day. I was shocked by that. Maybe a new kitten is too much for her to handle? I am seriously afraid that she would try to kill him, and he's not big enough to defend himself from a 12 lb. cat.

Of all of my cats, I would have thought she'd be the one I wouldn't have to worry about. It was my tortie I was concerned with, but she's one of the two who will come downstairs and seems to be okay with him.

Don't get me wrong--I am not rushing anything and it will be weeks before I even try to introduce them to each other one on one. But if Jenner continues to behave like this, I will have no choice but to find another foster home for him. His safety and the well-being of my other cats is paramount--but it is THEIR house and he's the intruder.

I tried picking Loki up last night and holding him. My intention was to get him up to my bedroom and let him run around for a bit. Well, that didn't work out so well. He escaped me and ran under the couch and it took about an hour to get him out. Fortunately, I locked the other ones upstairs just in case. So tonight, I'm getting a few baby gates and blocking off the couch and my china cabinet so he can at least explore and get some exercise.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you have to block off all the hiding spaces that you can't reach. Trying to get him out of the hiding spaces is scary for him. Making him feel safe is the goal. But as he gets tamer, the more you can push his comfort level. It is normal behavior for the other cats to be freaked out. I have put my cats through that many times. They will forgive you. I never tried to introduce my foster babies, but I did keep them in a cage in the same room, so I could have the babies around my work area and handle them more. And my cats would come up to the cage and hiss, but mostly stayed away.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you have to block off all the hiding spaces that you can't reach. Trying to get him out of the hiding spaces is scary for him. Making him feel safe is the goal. But as he gets tamer, the more you can push his comfort level. It is normal behavior for the other cats to be freaked out. I have put my cats through that many times. They will forgive you. I never tried to introduce my foster babies, but I did keep them in a cage in the same room, so I could have the babies around my work area and handle them more. And my cats would come up to the cage and hiss, but mostly stayed away.
Yeah, that was totally my own fault but I was forgiven within 5 minutes. LOL So tonight I try a different tactic. I'll put the gates up one on top of the other so he can't get upstairs, then open the cage door and let him come out on his own. With the gates up, the other cats won't come in but if they want to sit and watch, that's great.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I let Loki come out for about an hour last night. He's really skittish at first but he warmed up to the electronic feather toy. He also learned that he loves to be brushed.

I still can't pick him up, though. I tried, and he freaked and ran right back into his cage, which I guess he considers his safe space now. And that's okay. I will keep trying!

Jenner came downstairs this morning on her own. She was here for about 5 minutes, but that's okay too. She came down and that's huge progress!

My tortie has already been down several times and she's sitting on the tree. She knows Loki is here (he buried himself under his blanket and is napping) and she's okay with it.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been socializing a couple of feral kittens for a couple of months now...
Foster Kitten Adventure (1 Sweet + 1 Feral)

The really feral one (Cribbage) tried to kill me .. I've got a wicked gnarly scar
20190302_080225.jpg

And this is her this morning .. Been starting our days like this for the past couple weeks.

They were about 5 months old when they came to me.
It can be done.
:)

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been socializing a couple of feral kittens for a couple of months now...
Foster Kitten Adventure (1 Sweet + 1 Feral)

The really feral one (Cribbage) tried to kill me .. I've got a wicked gnarly scar
View attachment 276007

And this is her this morning .. Been starting our days like this for the past couple weeks.

They were about 5 months old when they came to me.
It can be done.
:)
That's awesome! Quite the cuddlers!

I know I can tame this kitten. We've had a good start. It would be easier if I had a cat room for him to run around in, and if my older cats would cooperate better, but it's only been a week. I do feel guilty keeping him caged like he has been, though.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
That's awesome! Quite the cuddlers!

I know I can tame this kitten. We've had a good start. It would be easier if I had a cat room for him to run around in, and if my older cats would cooperate better, but it's only been a week. I do feel guilty keeping him caged like he has been, though.
Do you have a bedroom or bathroom with a door that closes? Even buy a little hook and eye latch if you need.
I kept my foster kittens shut in my bedroom for two weeks. (With a hook and eye because the door is easily pushed open by a curious cat.) At first in their cage for a few days, then they were out in the room.

We did s l o w introductions with my 3 adult resident cats after 2 weeks of separation.. It was a month before they were really having a lot of access to each other.

If you've tossed a feral kitten right in with your adults, of course your adults aren't going to be happy about it. It's their house and they need slow introductions.
Introducing your new cat to other pets

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a bedroom or bathroom with a door that closes? Even buy a little hook and eye latch if you need.
I kept my foster kittens shut in my bedroom for two weeks. (With a hook and eye because the door is easily pushed open by a curious cat.) At first in their cage for a few days, then they were out in the room.

We did s l o w introductions with my 3 adult resident cats after 2 weeks of separation.. It was a month before they were really having a lot of access to each other.

If you've tossed a feral kitten right in with your adults, of course your adults aren't going to be happy about it. It's their house and they need slow introductions.
Introducing your new cat to other pets
My spare bedroom is my daughter's old room--up on the 3rd floor. I could put him up there (I had him up there originally) but 1) it's so far away from the rest of the house and 2) it's a long walk up there! I don't object to it, but my 72 year old mother has a hard time. It's almost 500 square feet of space, though.

I have not tossed him in with the adults. I know how that goes! And he's just a baby. He'd never be able to defend himself even though he weighs almost as much as my tortie. My big black former feral came down twice yesterday and my tortie was down several times. She's here now and has been here for about an hour. She's walking past his cage constantly but she hasn't hissed at him--she's checking him out and he is fascinated by her. She weighs about 6 lbs. soaking wet but she is the alpha female.

I'm still unable to pick him up and I don't know what to do about that.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
My spare bedroom is my daughter's old room--up on the 3rd floor. I could put him up there (I had him up there originally) but 1) it's so far away from the rest of the house and 2) it's a long walk up there! I don't object to it, but my 72 year old mother has a hard time. It's almost 500 square feet of space, though.

I have not tossed him in with the adults. I know how that goes! And he's just a baby. He'd never be able to defend himself even though he weighs almost as much as my tortie. My big black former feral came down twice yesterday and my tortie was down several times. She's here now and has been here for about an hour. She's walking past his cage constantly but she hasn't hissed at him--she's checking him out and he is fascinated by her. She weighs about 6 lbs. soaking wet but she is the alpha female.

I'm still unable to pick him up and I don't know what to do about that.
I can't pick up the one in the video for more than a half second. And that took a month.
Some cats just don't like being picked up and that's the way it is. :D

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't pick up the one in the video for more than a half second. And that took a month.
Some cats just don't like being picked up and that's the way it is. :D
Don't I know it! My tortie used to love to be held when she was a kitten, but now she'll tear you up if you try. The others don't particularly like it, but they tolerate it.

But I'm going to keep trying.

Edit: My tortie (Magic) and my big black former feral (Jenner) are both down and in their usual spots. Progress!

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little sweetie. Our former stray Gypsy handles changes very well. Her human daddys work hours and days off vary week to week and I work overtime so my hours of coming home are not always the same. I always thought she handles change well because she was a stray. Bless you and the lady next door. Thank heavens she checked the trap and notified you, she saved his life. YaY to your daughter too. Is mama cat still roaming the neighborhood? Gypsy was also a TNR.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little sweetie. Our former stray Gypsy handles changes very well. Her human daddys work hours and days off vary week to week and I work overtime so my hours of coming home are not always the same. I always thought she handles change well because she was a stray. Bless you and the lady next door. Thank heavens she checked the trap and notified you, she saved his life. YaY to your daughter too. Is mama cat still roaming the neighborhood? Gypsy was also a TNR.
Jenner was ready for a home. SHE adopted US. I've had Magic (sitting on the tree covered in shreds) since she was 6 weeks old. She was my first adventure in Catting!

Momma Cat is still around. She was across the street at another neighbor's waiting for food. We have to get her and at least get her spayed. Then she'll probably take Jenner's place as Loveable Neighborhood Cat that everyone takes care of.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenner was ready for a home. SHE adopted US. I've had Magic (sitting on the tree covered in shreds) since she was 6 weeks old. She was my first adventure in Catting!

Momma Cat is still around. She was across the street at another neighbor's waiting for food. We have to get her and at least get her spayed. Then she'll probably take Jenner's place as Loveable Neighborhood Cat that everyone takes care of.
We discovered later that she was also being fed by several others. We feel very honored that she chose us to adopt. She only goes outside in harness with one of us. 1st time at the vet in Nov 2016 he guessed her age as 1 or 2.
Geared up and impatiently ready to go.
Gypsy and squirrel today.jpg Outside 2-3-19.jpg
Watching a stinkbug on the ceiling
Huntress.jpg
Gypsy
eyes.jpg Toys tum.jpg

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We discovered later that she was also being fed by several others. We feel very honored that she chose us to adopt. She only goes outside in harness with one of us. 1st time at the vet in Nov 2016 he guessed her age as 1 or 2.
Geared up and impatiently ready to go.
View attachment 276101 View attachment 276103
Watching a stinkbug on the ceiling
View attachment 276099
Gypsy
View attachment 276100 View attachment 276102
I can't puuraise that enough. What a beautiful kitty!

We feel the same way about Jenner. She is really a wonderful cat.

You can get him in a harness? Wow, that's impressive!

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

I moved Loki into my bedroom yesterday and he seems to like having that freedom. This morning he actually let me pick him up for more than 5 seconds! And he didn't hiss at me even though I was standing right over him. Progress!

On the other hand, my 15 year old ginger is not doing well with this at all. I thought he was, but he is very upset. He's vomiting clear liquid and just looks depressed and upset, although he did perk up once Loki was out of the living room. The first thing he did was take his usual perch on his condo. If he is not doing better by tonight he's going to the vet. (He did eat this morning.) My calico is not happy that she got kicked out of her favorite room but she's eating and drinking normally. My tortie has been roaming the house since last night.

I don't know if the ginger knows Loki is a male? He didn't react like this when I brought Jenner inside. My heart is breaking for him right now.

I want to socialize Loki to give him the best possible chance at being adopted into a good home, but the health and well being of my old cats comes first. The problem is that the rescue organizations are USELESS. I don't know how any of you do it. People reach out for help and are snubbed and/or told "nope, sorry, he's not 6 weeks old, can't help you". Or worse. On Sunday, I was on a Homeless Cat Management site that I've been on for years. A young girl who had taken in two strays asked for help rehoming because she just had a baby. They treated her like absolute crap. It was appalling. She reached out for help and they were berating her because she hadn't gotten the cats spayed and did nothing but make her feel worse than she already did. I'll bet she let those cats loose out of desperation--that's how horrible these people were. When I protested, I was told that "there's nothing in the cat rescue handbook that says we have to be nice to people."

After I get Loki settled, I am out of the cat business. I will TNR the cats in my neighborhood, but that's IT. No more donations, no more supplies to these organizations.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the ginger cat (who is actually my mother's cat--my mother lives with us) has an emergency vet appointment this afternoon. He has not eaten a decent meal in 3 days. He will sniff at food, lick it, even eat a small bite or two but that's it. When my mother called the vet, they seemed to think that it's because of the stress of the kitten, but he just looks awful. I put a big goob of margarine on his fur last night and he licked it off, then I force fed him and got a good look at his teeth. They are bad. So it might not be the kitten after all. He was force fed this morning as well, and didn't put up too much of a fuss. He seemed willing to eat. If need be I'm going to tell them to put in a feeding tube and I will pay for that procedure myself. I just hope it's not too late and he's not in hepatic lipidosis--although he has gotten calories, it's not nearly enough. I realize this could be anything from stress to his teeth to kidney failure to hyperthyroidism. He was losing weight before this started even though he ate like a little piggy. But he's my mother's cat and she would not take him to the vet. I'm not sure she understands the severity of hepatic lipidosis and what can happen to him.

Another item to add to the "things I am really pissed off about" list. Not really having a great week! Although Loki is coming along nicely. He has finally stopped hissing at me and running to hide every time I move.