Really Mad And Need To Vent Over My Last Colony Cat

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Henry's a beauty!

M maggiedemi if you haven't yet tried it - - -I'll save you the pain and disgust. It tastes like month-old tuna with a smattering of old shoe lining, topped with a wee bit of anchovies that have been left in the sun for a month. In other words - -- it you've got a can of cat food in front of you and a can of mackerel.....go with the cat food. It's like tuna from another dimension - and it's not a friendly dimension! (but kitties love it!)

And trudy1 trudy1 ---best of luck, thoughts and prayers for you and for the wayward fur ball! And remember - if today's not the day, there WILL be a day that trapping will work. The more people that here your story, the more people with similar experiences and other tricks. But hopefully - -- this time will work and there'll be no need for another trap session!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, kittychick kittychick ...and that weight gets heavy sometimes, so so true.
LOVE the mackerel idea!!
thanks @furrball - -- we've tried SOOOOOO many things over the years, and it's the one - - -by FAR - - that's virtually foolproof. We had an injured guy we'd been trying to trap for over a year - - -we tried everything, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Baby Food, every canned cat food or treat known to man, my husband's grilled spare ribs (w/o sauce of course - - and I mean, spare ribs HE grills, not HIS ribs, grilled). Wed tried TONS of stuff - - lots of stuff worked sometimes, but nothing consistent. Until mackerel - - -it was the only thing that we've literally now in about 10 years - - -only had 1 kitty we can remember not drawn by it. i will say though (because kitties are kitties) you'd think it could also be used to help them eat when they're not eating, get a pill down etc. Nope - no luck with that for us. But for trapping - - we give mackerel a 2 thumbs up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing new to report. Set 5 traps in various areas of the barn early this morning. Checked around noon and none of the bait was even gone...

This is what I suspected would happen. She has never not been fed every other day for 8 years. So I went 5 days with holding food I think she just left searching for food.

Momma cat (the other one I couldn’t trap) left right after the big removal. She was gone about 3 weeks and came back sick and soooo thin. I don’t even like to remember that but I fear for Wildie, that she will be the same way.

Anyway will hope Wildie comes back this afternoon from making her rounds. She will have five traps full of mackerel soaked with kibble to choose from.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking about you.
I suspected that too, but maybe the mackerel is so stinky that she'll detect it. Or not, I'm not sure which to hope for...

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness, sending my most positive Monday vibes I can for you and your Wildie today. It's as if we are all their in spirit with you. Come on Wildie, you know you can't resist the Mackerel!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Come on Wildie. You can do it. We are all cheering for you. Keep us posted. I am sending all the good vibes I can your way.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing at 4:30. What is odd is that the food trail is not even disturbed. I always catch opossum or a racoon...usually more than one. Will check at dark and close traps for the night. I will leave food in them. Yes racoons will “roll” them to try to get at it but if Wildie comes by she might stay for me to open shop in the morning.

Poor baby, she’s never left the barn before so for her to be gone.....anyway it is what it is

I will keep the traps set through the day for a few days

I’m really praying she finds an old barn with plenty of mice where she can finish out her days undisturbed....quite a “pipe dream” huh? I got to adding things up and realized she has to be at least 8-9 since she was one of the original colony. I’m crying as I write this because it brings back memories of the good times when I went up and called “cat kids” and those that weren’t already sitting on the old truck waiting came running from hay bails and everywhere. All gone now ...maybe even her....

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So went back about 7 and Wildie was there sitting on her rock under the floor waiting to be fed. She had not been near any of the traps and it’s been since Wednesday morning that I fed her. Took all I could muster to tell her I was sorry and get back in the truck. Just left her sitting there. I thought there might be a slim chance if she was hungry enough she might go into a trap after dark.
So went back after dark with a flashlight and every trap was full! Two very small opossums and three very large racoons...they must have weighed 50lbs each. No sign of Wildie.so opened all the traps without getting bit and went home.
One thing good was she was not crying or acting starved. Of course she’s such an odd baby, always has been.
Well, hope for tomorrow?

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Wildie!

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to here she showed up! I've been watching this thread all day hoping to come back and here she was in the trap. :) Sending prayers and hugs! :grouphug: Yes, tomorrow will be a new day.....

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Set traps again this morning.

Had a talk with brother-in-law who was there working.

Hoping for success this afternoon, we’ll see.

Can’t believe I’m being outsmarted by a 9 year old cat. I mean I’ve got the MS in immunology and my brains even bigger...what’s wrong?

More later on “the talk” and trap results.

Thanks again to all...I can sense you’re prayers and concern. You know the more I correspond with forum members the more I believe they should be running the country.....they’d be a lot less fighting, look at me, etc. and a lot more concern for the important stuff....just a thought.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you had a good talk with brother-in-law. There has to be some compassion in his heart somewhere for that poor little girl. Come on Wildie! :redheartpump: