Really Mad And Need To Vent Over My Last Colony Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes furballsmom, I have made up my mind I will not feed her for 7 days and then set all my traps in a concerted effort to trap her. I have 6 traps that I regularly use with tnr and will try a variety of foods. But she is VERY trap shy. I have left traps tied open with food dozens of times and she has failed to go in any to eat. She only eats on a rock shelf under the barn floor. Too low for drop trap. Tried dozens of times to lure her out to no avail....even with the stinky food, rotisserie chicken, baby food soaked chicken...yes I’ve tried all but starvation. My soul would never let me do that to her....but now she and I are “up against it” as they say.
Professionals? Remember I’m in southern Missouri, small towns where farmers like the one up our road “ just shoots um when I git too many”.....sad.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your in Southern MO? How far from Paragould, AR? This is breaking my heart for you. I will come help in any way i can, if you need it. Sounds like you've got one heck of a plan tho. Sending love and hugs for you and Wildie!!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks kmbishop111 for your sweet offer! First day of starvation....going to town....can’t stand just sitting here.

Six more days...

Crazy old man can’t eat, can’t sleep

As family says “it’s just a cat” but There’s not a day goes by I don’t miss my colony I had to give up so this isn’t any easier...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It is SO never just a cat... :heartshape:
I just watched some video from Hurricane Harvey, and part of the episode covered three guys in their 20's maybe, who went back into a little town called Pinedale, TX, two days running to rescue cats five days after the hurricane. They saved I don't know HOW many cats - it was pretty incredible.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you all who do this kind of thing (rescue, TNR, colony management) are amazing people, just amazing.
Uummm, not to question you since you know what you're doing, but do you really have to do a seven-day stretch? Would a 5 day stretch work?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can try five days....it’s all a matter of her hunger overcoming her fear of traps or anything strange. Guess I can’t envision what life is like in an old barn with your litter mates gone and now food as well.
I always considered a rescue as a life bond between you and the animal. It says I’ve rescued you and will provide for your protection, food to eat, care for your hurts and most of all love. The cats provide what they are able to give. Sometimes it’s only just a look, a nudge, an arched back, or a quiet purr.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is SOOOO never just a cat. I also have a brother who reminds me of what you have described. He has been and will always be I'm afraid all about the dollar. I remember years ago, his wife calling and telling me a horrific story of what really happened to their 2 inside cats once my brother got tired of their typical around the house cat stuff. He took them in the middle of nowhere and DUMPED both of them. I saw RED. How could someone with the same blood as I do such a callous, evil thing?? I still don't understand it or him. He works in law enforcement and his wife has 3 jobs. So of course nothing ever came of it. But no, it's NEVER just a cat! I hope your brother has a change of heart or you can get Wildie out of there.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well it’s been since Wednesday morning that I fed her. Haven’t been by the barn for fear she will hear my truck and think I’m coming to feed her.
In my quiet time at the house I can look over and just see the outline of the barn. It’s almost like I can feel her calling to me saying “I don’t understand why you are doing this to me, you’ve always been there when I needed you”
Maybe I’m making too much of this? Maybe she’s “just another cat”?

Monday I’ve set for trap day. Wish this was over.

In my heart of hearts I’m hoping she’s gone but....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could come help you. No of course she's not "just another cat." Every cat matters. If I lived closer, I would come have a little talk with your brother-in-law. If I was being heartless like him, I hope somebody would tell me so I could change my ways.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too remember your story.
I understand your pain. Every time I earn a feral's trust, I feel a special bond and responsibility to that cat.
Hopefully, the cats placed as barn cats will stay. Since they were basically barn cats before, I think chances are better. I know when our rescue places barn cats, we advise the owners to feed the cats. Were they placed in pairs? That increases chances of success.
Hoping for success for you and Wildie

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So many of us on here have stories that resemble - in some way - your story. As many of us in this thread have stated -- directly or indirectly - - - they're never "just a cat" and it's never "just that easy." We've bonded through winters where we wished we could take away even more of their cold, even if it's just by sitting near them and worrying, or heating up dishes and food so that their bellies were just a bit warmer....we've bonded through snow...and sleet...and oppressive heat...and rain that just won't end.....and neighbors who think the cats have as much value as a pothole in the road that annoys them. And I know for me it makes things even worse knowing that often, it's humans that have caused so much pain, whether by refusing to neuter or spay, or dumping the cat that got too old, too expensive to care for, became not as cute as a kitten, that liked to scratch their carpet periodically, that "demanded" their litterboxes be cleaned more than the once a week the human wanted to deal with......it's almost always the human. I think that's - for me - what makes all of our stories and dilemmas even harder.....it's usually our own species (a species that DOES know better and often HAS the means to change things) that really causes the problem (or at least "can't fix things."). So those of us who see these issues for what they are - feel the weight of the people who won't fix things. We can't stand suffering or pain. So we try to fix as much as we can - we try to fix the shares that others won't.

Know that YOU have done SO much for so many. And I for one know I won't be alone in thinking of you on "trap day." And one last thing to try - - - - canned mackerel. Stinks to high heaven - - but kitties usually go crazy for it. I'll be thinking of you (as will my hubby and all of our indoor kitties and our TNR kitties)....we'll be thinking of you both.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have a can of mackerel that I've never opened! I should open it and see if the cats want a taste. Of course I'll taste it too, I've never had it before.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willowy, close by about a miles as the crow flys but she would have to cross a major stream and 4 opens pastures....

When I forget and leave Henry’s food out the only thing I usually get is racoons from the woods next to us or ferals from the other direction at a neighboring barn.

Thanks for thinking of “us” anyway, as I know many of you are

Well going to the garage now to check the traps for in the morning. I really have mixed feelings about this but know it needs to be done

BTW Henry our latest rescue says hi