Pregnant? Yay or Nay? What say you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't see the second placenta come out but the baby is out and detached. Lurk chewed the cord off. My husband said "she was going to town for quite a while" and while she was doing this the kitten was by her head. Do you think that was her eating the placenta?

Last edited:

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Third kitten was born while i was typing lol. the placenta clearly came out with this one lol. #3 was born @ 2:27. She's a tabby calico!

Last edited:

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i flipped over number one (not really sure why) and noticed blood on his belly around his umbilical cord. it looked fresh so it wasn't from the birth of the other kittens. it isn't bleeding a lot (it's not weeping blood) and when i touched it it felt sticky like it was trying to dry but it looked like Lurk had been chewing on it again. like i said, there isn't a whole lot of it but his tummy is all red from it (he is mostly white). if i just keep an eye on it it should be fine right? he doesn't seem in any sort of pain or distress and is nursing and wiggling normally. they all are. the other two are fine. btw... #1 is  freaking giant! lol

Last edited:

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
his belly button is still bleeding. not horribly but enough that his tummy is again covered after i cleaned it off earlier. how do i get it to stop? i'm not panicking or anything, just concerned. he is still nursing like normal and breathing fine. his tummy is kind of big but i think it's from all the milk he has drank. i can't afford to take him to the vet right now as my daughter has to go to the dentist today and, crappy as it may sound, my child is the priority. is there anything i can do to get it  to stop? it looks like it's coming from right at his navel. also, when they meow loudly lurk growls at them. is that normal or is she just kind of a d*ck? lol.  any advice would be appreciated. the sooner the better.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It stopped bleeding. the blodd is starting to turn brown and there is nothing fresh coming out. Upon further observation, i think mama accidentally stepped on it. it all seems okay now though and he is doing great. i will post pics tomorrow, or i guess technically later today, as my phone is dead and my husband is using our only charger lol. so far only three kittens. i feel like there could be one more in there, but she has eaten, drank, and peed in her litter box and is now cleaning herself up so i don't think so. it doesn't feel like there's another one in there either. I've named all of them lol. in order of birth, their names are Sküter II (boy) (after my sisters cat because he looks almost identical to him), Nox (boy) (short for exquinox beause they were born on the first day of Autumn), and Gyda (girl) which is a viking name that i like which means Warlike.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm relieved that they are all healthy and nursing. It does sound like she is done.

That was scary about the kitten's naval bleeding. It's good it stopped on its own. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for all your help and advice and yes i'm glad it did too. it scared me but not too horribly since it wasn't gushing. i just kept checking him. i checked him again a couple of minutes ago and all is still good. i really think that Lurk had stepped on it somehow and pulled it a bit. Sküter aka His Fatness (lol) is literally twice the size of the others. i still think that they were twins. it's the only way i can think of to account for how small they are comparatively and how close together they were born. I think they are boy girl twins because literally the only difference between them are the orange and white splotches on Gyda. without those they are identical in size color nd markings. Also, they are all tabbies (well i guess technically Gyda is a Torbbie which is totes awesome) which is kinda weird considering Lurk doesn't have a a stripe one lol. i'll post pictures when we get back from the dentist in a few hours.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the reason i felt like there was another baby was because a short while after she had the last two (here after to be referred to as "the twins") a small independent bubble of amniotic fluid of waters came out and she panted a bit more but after that there was nothing else. she is normal in all ways so far as i can tell. eating, drinking, eliminating etc. she gets up and follows me around still lol but otherwise everything is great. his fatness is still enormous haha. i'll post a pic in a sec.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so quick question. Nox's tail is curled into a spiral up against his but and it wont uncurl (i tried and it was stiff). it can be moved out of the way so i don't think elimination will be a problem (obviously i'll keep a watch out) but i was wondering if this is detrimental in any way or if he just has a funky tail lol?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting. Try cleaning the tail with a warm, damp cloth. Maybe it has dried up birth gunk on it. I've never heard of a stiff, curled tail like that.

Have you weighed the babies?

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
alright. i picked him up to take some pictures of it and it had started to uncurl a bit. i have not weighed them yet as i don't have a scale with which to weigh them but i am monitoring their eating and sizes so if they start to drop in size or start eating less i'll begin supplementing. we have had some extreme family medical issues pop up in the last week so all the money we had saved is going to medical bills and a trip up north to help. 

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hmmm... she's panting and licking again like she was when she was having the kittens and when i walk away she meows for me. it's like when she was laboring yesterday. is that normal or could there be another kitten in there??? o_O

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could be another kitten. Or it could be after pains. Those feel almost like contractions, and can be off and on for 2-3 days following birthing. Most likely it's after pains.

Give her a dish of KMR. It seems to help. In fact, she needs a dish a day for the calcium.

Last edited:

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay. i wasn't sure. i'm not worried or anything just surprised haha! 

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just noticed that Nox's front paws are deformed. they won't straighten out and have large protrusions on the ankle joints. i took a picture so you can see. I can't afford a vet and it's not life threatening so does anyone have any advice on how i can eventually help him walk like this? Lurk is still taking care of him so i know he isn't sick. just a malformation. i'll post the pic in a moment.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a website that explains how to do physical therepy if it's a tendon issue so i will start that tomorrow once i get my scale and get them all weighed. If it turns out to be a bone problem (which is what I'm thinking it is since his tail is also twisted and weird) then i will just teach him how to walk or hop on his back legs without using his front ones too much so it doesn't cause him issues when he grows up. We are keeping all of the kittens btw lol.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds good. I kept all of my kittens too from the pregnant stray I took in. I now have mama kitty and 4 grown "kittens", and love every one of them to pieces.

You'll want to go very slowly, and not force anything. Gentle massage is best. I did message our expert, Catwoman, and she will chime in soon when she can.

Kittens learn to adapt and lead normal lives, even when blind, deaf, or otherwise disabled! [emoji]128522[/emoji]