Pregnant? Yay or Nay? What say you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for messaging her. and yes of course! slow and steady is usually the key with that sort of thing. my husband has decided that nox (or as he calls him, noodles) is his cat lol. i think it's super cute.

He's not growing like the others are. he still really small because he can't need her teets to get the full amount of milk out and we couldn't get a syringe with which to supplement him so we got a bottle which he hates lol and i'll squeeze a drop out and put it in his mouth. it's super slow going cause he's a squirmer lol but it will work until i can get a proper syringe. My scale should get here around 4ish (it's nearly 3 here) so as soon as i get it i will weigh them and post the weights.

i started massaging and lightly stretching his paws earlier and looks as though it's his tendons that are shortened and not that his bones are jointed incorrectly so with luck he should be able to walk normally after a while. 

Lurk has diarrhea  and doesn't seem to want to drink the petAG formula and we can't find any plain canned pumpkin. any other suggestions? I think it's just because of the placentas and that she refuses to eat dry food. she only wants her wet food. Otherwise, she's doing really well and so are the kittens. 

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
alright. i just got my scale and here are their weights: 

Sküter: 150g

Nox: 112g

Gyda: 135g

Gyda and Nox are the twins. they were the same size (visually) when they were born. i'm already supplementing Nox

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 3 days old the weights for Gyda and Skuter are okay. Nox really needs help.

You can use a dropper. Easy to get from a children's over the counter medicine. A dropper will give you more control.

He needs 2 mLs every 2 hours.

It's good it's his tendons. Those will straighten over time.

Plain, canned pumpkin is in the baking aisle at the grocery!

Last edited:

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
our store doesn't have any. we looked. it's all either pumpkin pir filling or sweet potatoes in syrup, neither of which will do us any good lol. and none of the pumpkins in my garden are ready to harvest yet but i'll see if one of the corner stores has some or at least a small pumpkin that i can cook down myself.

i know :( as soon as i realized he wasn't getting any bigger i had my husband go get a bottle for him (i thought we still had a syringe but we didn't). i put him on  nipple by himself and used my hand as a barrier between him and the other two when they woke up and weighed him again and it said 114 so at least i know he's getting some like that. he is nursing right now as well.

i will get a dropper tomorrow when we go grocery shopping. 

He's super sweet and it makes me so sad that this is happening to him :( but i'm sure with a little extra care and attention that he will pull through :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you really need to get lots of formula into him as soon as possible. He needs to gain 6-10 grams a day. More is even better.

You can give mom some full fat yogurt. It may help her tummy. Is her diarrhea any better today?

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm not sure about her poo today. i haven't seen it and she uses clumping litter so when i sift through it all just looks like regular poo but i got her to drink some kmr and we're going to the grocery store today so i'll get her some yogurt. i've been making sure she drinks plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. 

Kitten weights for this afternoon are as follows: 

Sküter: 172g (+12g)

Nox: 125g (+13g)

Gyda :153g (+18g)

i thought the gains looked a bit high but i weighed them each multiple times yesterday and today and the results were 100% consistent.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ack! So sorry for the delay in getting here to reply!!

Reading through, yes, it's not his bones that are deformed but shorter tendons and can very well be a normal walking little boy soon with continuous therapy.

Also his weight as all of them look great! There is NEVER too much gain, nursing kittens can gain even as much as 20 grams a day, it comes in spurts sometimes, the important part is ensuring a minimum daily gain, anything over 10 grams is optimal :)

Nox is a product of incest, resulting in the crooked/curled/shortened or missing tail, as well as the limbs being off.

Once cats go in to heat/sexually matured they don't discriminate or even acknowledge family, only the drive to mate/breed.

Also causes polydactyl/extra toes, flat chested syndrome, and in more extreme cases a cleft pallet, among other internal deformities.

Not unusual at all for cats to mate with relations.

As often as possible you will be massaging his legs, one at a time in your fingers, rubbing between your thumb and fingers, massage massage massage, rolling it around and really working the area, after several minutes the joint will feel nice and warmed up, then start to bend it to the correct position as much as possible without using too much pressure.

The long massaging stimulates the tendon growth.

The best/fastest results happen when this is started in the first 5 days of life, they are extremely pliable.

Do this at least 3 times a day, and more if possible.

In a matter of days you will begin to see them straightening out, it happens fast when this young, as this time of their lives they are growing at the fastest rate they ever will.

A kitten who nurses from mama will never take a bottle, they squirm and fight and whine, making it ridiculously difficult to supplement, so you do need a syringe.

A dropper or other is rather risky at such a young age when just a drop inhaled can mean their life, it quickly turns into pneumonia, 24 hrs later after drop inhaled, they're gone :(

So not having any distractions and being able to study their breathing while supplementing will ensure this doesn't happen, a drop in to the cheek area and not throat, wait for a swallow and a breath then repeat.

As I said before, he will never be cooperative with being fed as long as he has a mom to nurse from, but once better gains steadily are accomplished and he is stabilized, as well as growing and not so newborn-ish, the supplements can be tapered down to less often, more volume, and sometimes stopped if he gains solely from nursing.

Without reading through this entire thread, did mom have diarrhea prior to giving birth?

If not, then it is likely due to eating the placentas, this is common and will pass soon.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for you reply! she did not have diarrhea before birth, no. i did manage to get a small dropper yesterday and fed him one drop at a time. i don't know how she could have inbred because we got her from the shelter and her mom wasn't taken from our area of town but could it have been that she herself was a product of inbreeding and that she passed on a defect to him? his tail is also spiraled up lpike a pigs which i have also heard is due to inbreeding which is super sad to me but also all the more proof as to why they will all be spayed as soon as is safe. i'm glad you think he gained so well. that was mostly just from me giving him a few drops here and there and just making sure the others didn't push him off of a nipple. i have been massaging his legs and thy look loike they are already starting to straighten out so thank you for the advice. it's good to know i'm n the right track!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

thank you for you reply! she did not have diarrhea before birth, no. i did manage to get a small dropper yesterday and fed him one drop at a time. i don't know how she could have inbred because we got her from the shelter and her mom wasn't taken from our area of town but could it have been that she herself was a product of inbreeding and that she passed on a defect to him? his tail is also spiraled up lpike a pigs which i have also heard is due to inbreeding which is super sad to me but also all the more proof as to why they will all be spayed as soon as is safe. i'm glad you think he gained so well. that was mostly just from me giving him a few drops here and there and just making sure the others didn't push him off of a nipple. i have been massaging his legs and thy look loike they are already starting to straighten out so thank you for the advice. it's good to know i'm n the right track!
It could be, sure. Perhaps the father also has inbred genetics. It's pretty common.

Excellent plan to get their little butts all spayed/neutered too!!

His carrying on vocally causes mom to become agitated too, so either supplementing as far from her earshot as possible, or supplementing right there next to her will help her alot.

Usually ends up her trying to take him from you to put back but not always.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah she took him from me a couple of times but forbthe most part she trusts me not to hurt them and i always do everything (weighing and feeding) right in front of her box so I'm not moving them far.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's weights:

Sküter: 183g (+11g)
Nox: 133g (+8g)
Gyda: 169g (+16g)

lurkysmom

TCS Member