Pregnant Cat

Ninigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats is preganant and I think she’s due to give birth but all last night she was dripping some kind of blood from her vagina, idk what to do I don’t have money for a vet and I tried to call one just to see if they could help over the phone and they couldn’t someone help !

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Ninigirl welcome to TCS. I understand that you don't know the date when your cat was mated. Usually a pregnancy lasts between 65 and 73 days. The vaginal discharge you mention may well be the mucus plug often some hours before the birth process commences. The water may break as well. It would seem that delivery will take place fairly soon. We have a "Pregnant Cats and kitten care" forum that you will find helpful if this is your first time taking care of a pregnant cat.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have any. Our advisors and experienced members will be happy to help you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

I'm trying to get people to come in here to help you, and they seem to be leaving the site just as I'm touching base with them, I'm sorry! I'll keep trying and I'll see if I can hunt down some info as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think it could be a miscarriage ?

Ninigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s fine Furballsmom Furballsmom , thank you for your help but you don’t have to go out your way if you don’t have to

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No worries :)
You have had her inside all this time? You would see a slimey goopy mess somewhere...

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again Ninigirl. Herewith some information that I am quoting for you from our forum which I hope will help:

"Cat about to give birth? Here are the things to have at home
A Nesting Box
The most important thing your cat needs is a quiet safe place where the birth can take place. You can prepare a nesting box for her ahead of time. Use a large box and place it on its side, creating a small cave for your cat. Keep in mind that your cat may or may not use the box for the birth.

Fill the box with a thick layer of clean old towels, linen etc. Don't use anything you're not willing to throw away because it will get messy in there. Our member and site advisor catwoman707 recommends covering the bottom of the box with alternating layers of peepee pads and old towels. You can later peel off the top layer quickly and discreetly, in a way that will be less stressful for the mother cat and kittens.

Place the box in a room that's not too hot or cold and away from drafts. It needs to be a quiet place where children and house pets are not allowed. Have a bowl of fresh water and some food available nearby. A clean litterbox should be placed in the same room, but far away from the nesting box and from the food and water bowls.

Prepare the nesting box a few days before delivery and let your cat find it and make herself comfortable. If she doesn't go there, don't worry and leave the box there. Limit her access to other potential birthing spots, such as dark closets and drawers, so that she ends up using the nesting box.

In Case You Need to Help the Mother Cat
Prepare the following items in advance and have them in your home. Remember that you're not supposed to intervene unless there's an actual problem. Please read up about interventions during cat birth and be prepared for those.

Here's what you need to have at home in case there's an emergency during the delivery that you have to deal with. A list of possible scenarios and how to deal with them is available here. Please read through it to make sure you know what to do when.
  • More clean towels and sheets. Our member and forum advisor StefanZ suggests sticking with fleece and flannel if you can. As the kittens develop they will be less likely to get their claws tangle in the material as they crawl around the nesting box. You can even get a packet of baby flannels.
  • A notebook and pen or pencil. You should document the process, carefully noting the birth time of each kitten and its placenta. This would be a good place to document the kittens' birth weight and other important data. Our advisor EB24 suggests writing the names, numbers and addresses of your vet and an emergency vet on the front cover.
  • A suture removal set, including blunt scissors and forceps. You'll need them if you have to deal with cutting umbilical cords.
  • An antiseptic solution.
  • Gauze pads.
  • Non-waxed dental floss.
  • Disposable gloves for handling newborn kittens if necessary.
  • Milk replacer formula for newborn kittens and the appropriate bottles, as well as an eye dropper or a small 1.0 ml syringe (no needles!) for feeding newborns who can't yet latch onto a bottle. You shouldn't need these unless there's a problem with the kittens nursing.
  • An accurate weigh scale for weighing small kittens
Sounds scary? Having a cat deliver kittens is not for the faint of heart. It's only one more reason for recommending spaying and neutering all pet cats. There are other reasons, too, and you can read about them in this article about spaying and neutering . Please don't let your cat become pregnant if you're not mentally and financially prepared to deal with the consequences."

Next, read our article Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! to be fully prepared for the birth itself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, no actual puddle, only drips?

Keep a close eye on her, let us know what's happening, is she restless, cranky, meowy, nesting, does her tummy feel hard, are the kittens moving

Ninigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it’s only drips, she’s really sleepy, and she’s cranky, she has been meowing a lot, her tummy is hard but I haven’t felt any babies moving

Ninigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just came into my room after using the restroom and I found this on my bed , I looked under to see what color it was and I thinks it blood but it’s kinda yellow

Attachments