Pregnant cat.. So what now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She let me pet her and the kittens so I moved the kittens to the box, but Pixie jumped out. We put her in again and hopped back in to the the corner with a kitten. She's a very young mom. I read about this. I think she's finding the smallest space to avoid the dad

meow604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats! Like others have said, if you could help mom make a nest in that corner that would be great. She needs some towels or blankets to stay on, we need to make sure those kittens don't get a chill!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As we mentioned before, you can't let the dad around her at all anymore.  He can already get her pregnant again.  Mom also may be correct in perceiving him as a threat to the litter.  Can you place mom in a private room and keep him away?  She does not need the stress.

Do you need help finding a place to get him neutered?

You can set up a nest in that corner if you can keep other animals and young children away, keep it quiet enough, etc.

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 is all she had!shes a pretry small cat so I didn't expect more than 4.. I'm so mad i missed it! She's focused on cleaning herself and if the kittens find a nipple they don't suck for long

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She refuses to leave the corner. She's cleaning herself now and occasionally the kittens. I keep moving but she jumps out [emoji]128529[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The corner is fine. Did you put some blankets there though?

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't even think about it.. I'm a little worried though because I work all day today. I won't be here to supervise my other cats or the dad

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In that case the mom and babies need to be in a room where the door can be closed, but with food, water, and litter accessible. That or the other cats need to be closed up.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you leave, you need to put her in a room where she can have some privacy and be safe.  She really cannot be left unsupervised and exposed.

If you have already gone, can someone stop by or can you run home?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may well be nervous of Rex. Sometimes male cats will attack kittens, and she has an instinct to keep her kittens away from him. Even if they are normally friendly, I would keep him away in another room for now - she will be more comfortable. In a few days, you can let him in under supervision. I can't remember if he is neutered now - if not, he could get her pregnant again within a week or two so you will need to keep them separated anyway.

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm OK.i have a 10 HR shift so.. Maybe Pixie in the bathroom with food and water? With a box inside?

No he's not fixed yet.. I gotta find an affordable clinic

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's set up should be fine.

What city and state are you near? We can help you find a low cost clinic.

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in Houston..

How big are kittens usually? I've never seen a kitten. These ones don't forbonly my palm and I have pretty big hands

(:

Last edited by a moderator:

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*fit in my

Also, she's curled up and feeds one at a time, and favors one over the other two. Should I buy a back up bottle and formula?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you should get powdered kmr by PetAg and a needleless syringe in case you need to supplement. You should also get a small scale so you can weigh them every day and make sure everyone is gaining enough.