PLEASE HELP!!!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cones are intended to keep them from grooming their incisions; cones will do nothing to prevent scratching.  Anubis's incision is extremely small; there's no reason at all for him to have a cone.  It's just there as a standard precaution, but that doesn't mean it's necessary.

In the case of Princess, when you look at her incision do you see stitches?  If the stitches are all internal, there's no reason for her to have a cone either.  If she does have visible stitches, it's more problematic.  When a cat tries to groom an incision with stitches that the cat's tongue can feel, the cat will use her teeth on them to try to take them out, just as she would with a small tangle in her fur.  You do not want that to happen.  But the other side is, will Princess try to groom the incision if she's not wearing the cone?  No one else can answer that question.  You know her best.  What you may want to do is take the cone off when you can supervise her and see what happens.  If she's avoiding the incision, no problem.  You can just leave the cone off.  And if she tries to groom the incision, then you know that you can only take it off when you're there to protect her.  Either way, though, she definitely should have a chance to get it off occasionally.  Your instincts are good on this.  Basically, except for worrying too much, your instincts for your fur babies are always correct.  This isn't true of everyone; but it is true of you.

Now, there's something else you should be prepared for.  I don't know whether you've ever had general anesthesia, but it's a real bear coming out of it.  When my gall bladder was removed it was several days before my eyes would focus properly.  Here I was in the hospital, with books that I wanted to read, and I got a headache every time I tried to do so!  Some cats who have been through something traumatic, like a vet visit, will decide to give their humans a cold shoulder afterwards -- their way of saying "I know you decided to do this horrible thing to me, and I want you to know that I haven't forgiven you for it!"  I've never known this to last longer than a few days, at worst.  Generally just a couple of hours.  When it comes right down to it, cats are very forgiving people, so if this happens, don't worry about it.  She'll get over it very quickly.

Basically, they're home now, and the surgery went well.  It's time to relax.  They're okay, and once they heal from the surgery they'll be back to their old selves, just without hormones messing them up.

You had expressed worry earlier that this surgery would change Anubis's personality, making him less like the sweet boy you know.  In point of fact, this surgery can not do that.  That's what hormones do to tom cats, and you're protecting him from exactly the change that you feared.

When my husband was hospitalized three years ago and was in danger of dying, I did everything I had to.  I kept in touch with him and with his nurses by phone, I went to the hospital whenever I could, I called the insurance company and informed them of what was going on, I emailed family and friends with daily updates, and I got very little sleep.  But I managed.  And then he came home, out of danger, and suddenly I was a nervous wreck.  I even considered suicide!  When we're in an emergency situation, or what we perceive to be an emergency, the adrenaline cuts in and keeps us focused and able to do what we have to, but when the emergency is over, suddenly we have time to feel everything that we suppressed in order to do what was necessary.  I think you may be experiencing some of this.  What you've been going through wasn't actually an emergency, but you perceived it as one, and you've been running on adrenaline for the last week or so.  Be nice to yourself.  Sit down with a good book, put on some pleasant music, watch a movie, whatever you do to relax, do it.  You can do it in the same room with your fur babies if it will make you feel better, but take some "me" time.

Margret

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just think about what all of us are telling you. Re-read what has been written. Think about it, and make a decision that is best for each of your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah these cones look so uncomfortable. Im going to remove them while I'm there so I can supervise them and make sure they don't over lick their sites. Princess site looks only like a small scratch. I don't see any stitches. But I wanna keep a close eye on her since she had a more invasive surgery. I'm just going to do that. Remove the collars under my supervision. However, tomorrow I work and get home till late afternoon. My mother is usually home at the time. She can be very neglectful even when asked to keep an eye out, so I'm concerned about leaving them without the collars. If there's a case where either Anubis or princess are excessively licking my mother will not be able to put the collars on them if necessary because they will fight her and she does not know how to handle them when they get like this. Especially princess, we all know she's a savage. I prefer having these collars off under my supervision.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I removed their collars just now. Anubis is happily grooming his fat face, & princess looked at me with a thank you face. She is also happily grooming her face. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent.  This is one of the truly annoying things about ecollars for cats -- being unable to groom their faces.

It sounds to me like they don't actually need the collars at all, but, as I've said before, when it comes to your cats your instincts are excellent.  If you feel better leaving the collars on when you're not there, do it.

May I suggest that you might want to let your mother know that they'll want extra chin scratches and ear rubs because of the collars?  If she follows up on it she'll bond more strongly with the cats, which can only be a good thing.

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So happy to see that your babies are home and that their procedures went well. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Princess is sleeping. She was awake earlier rolling on the floor. She doesn't seem lethargic or "sad". But I'm worried because she hasn't eaten anything and she doesn't seem interested in her food. She goes crazy for wet food. She only drank water. Anubis is back to his wild crazy self, he already ate and drank water, but I noticed that he also growls at princess. I'm starting to get a little worried. [emoji]128532[/emoji]
Princess is probably a bit sore and doesn't like the cone. Anubis probably smells the vet on her even though he smells the same and he's got the cone as well. He's also still got testosterone in him. Don't worry. They'll settle down. Did princess have dissolving stitches?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I was off line yesterday and just catching up.  Very happy that Anubis and Princess are both back home and recovering well.  Cones are a mixed blessing and I am lucky enough to date not to have had a cat needing to wear one.  Close supervision with time off seems like a compromise to me, as long as you can get them back in to the cone when the time comes to 'go there'.   The surgery for Princess does take longer to do and to recover from, so I guess the colars are another way to even things out between them while that happens too - otherwise Anubis might get a bit too boistrous for her to cope with safely.     All 11 lb of him.  

That is about what Mouse weighed in at at 1 year (not now of course).   

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Just came home from work & first thing i did was remove their collars. Princess doesn't even seem interest in her incision site. She only licks her butt lol however I see Anubis licking his boy parts. [emoji]128529[/emoji]

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick question:
Even though Anubis is already neutered is it still normal for his penis to pop out?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Princess is probably a bit sore and doesn't like the cone. Anubis probably smells the vet on her even though he smells the same and he's got the cone as well. He's also still got testosterone in him. Don't worry. They'll settle down. Did princess have dissolving stitches?
I assume so. Her incision site only looks like a scratch. There are no visible stitches

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has dissolving stitches. Anubis will lick his boy parts. And yes, his testicles were removed from the ball sac through a tiny incision, which should not affect his penis at all. The remaining sac will shrink up quite a bit over time. Everything sounds fine!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
She has dissolving stitches. Anubis will lick his boy parts. And yes, his testicles were removed from the ball sac through a tiny incision, which should not affect his penis at all. The remaining sac will shrink up quite a bit over time. Everything sounds fine!
This is princess incision site:
Does this mean that there is no problem with them licking their incision site? Also, they have this green line on their bellies. Is this the "tattoo"?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, those are dissolving stitches. She can lick it because there are no external stitches to pull out. The green line is the tattoo that means they've been fixed. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
So it turns out that neither of mt cats are enrolled in home again. I have to register them in the website AND I have to pay 19.99. I thought this was free or had already been covered at the hospital.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, those are dissolving stitches. She can lick it because there are no external stitches to pull out. The green line is the tattoo that means they've been fixed. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Brilliant! So far neither of them are even over licking. So we're good so far :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess that's a small price to pay to know your cats are registered to your house should they ever get lost. Weren't the spay and neuter at no cost? It sounds like a pretty good deal overall. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it turns out that neither of mt cats are enrolled in home again. I have to register them in the website AND I have to pay 19.99. I thought this was free or had already been covered at the hospital.
Our bad on that one. Microchips cost a certain amount to be injected and a certain amount more to register. Usually the enrollment is a one time fee (tho a lot of places will try to get you pay each year for additional services). 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are interested in making sure that Princess' and Anubis' microchip is at least registered in a national registry to to this website: 

https://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org.   It looks like this is a FREE registry service for ANY type of chip. If either gets lost somehow and their chip is scanned, your contact information will come up! Just remember to update it any time you all move.

Hope this helps!