Persuading Landlords to Accept Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I viewed the house yesterday and It looks just as new as the first time I viewed it!

We went down to the office this morning with our filled forms and paid the admin fees, so things are on the move!! We just have to wait to find out if the landlady will accept us, as we are students! Just waiting for the phone call!!

If it all goes well, we could be in the property by either this weekend or the next!

I am so excited, yet so nervous at the same time!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a phone call from the agent and apparently because my flat mate and I are students, the landlady wants us to pay six months rent upfront!
That is a definite couple (!) of grand!

I am trying to get them to budge on it at the moment and am awaiting news!
I hope they let us only pay 3 months in advance, as we won't be students after that point!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know!
Does she really expect us to have that much cash suffed away somewhere?!

The wait is getting to me now!
I want to know now!

It is just odd that she wants upfront payment now, yet for the flat we are in now, we just paid the deposit and first month's rent and then paid monthly, as you would! My Dad is guarantor (sp?) for us, so they know they will get their money! *sigh*

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Here are some pictures of the house I am going to see this afternoon!

The kitchen

And finally, the garden - for the cats to go out on their leads!

This is the house that I have (wrongly, I know) compared to all the others that I have seen! But it is so much better and closer to uni, so I don't have to struggle!
Oh wow!!! Look at that kitchen and the yard! Nice! Those other pics looked great too! I just read this thread from the beginning and it is so much nicer than that first one you looked at. Good luck trying to negotiate on the 6 month rental advance Sarah.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she daft?! 6 months up front, AND you have a cosigner? That's a bit unreasonable
What's wrong with the bat?

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:p I watch too much british TV, I suppose.

No, actually, but I'm the only american in my family, does that count?
When I lived in Germany for a short while, I lived with my cousins who spoke proper british english (well.. Welsh, actually -they were sponsored in england for a bit, and because of that, they had a bit of a welsh thing going..) By the time I came back, people asked me from where I hailed as my accent was strange, and I used odd words!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheers, Ryan! This was the first property I looked at and I loved it from the start! The garden is the biggest in the street too, which is pretty good!!

Denise, she vcertainly is a daft bat! I really haven't got a clue what she wants!!??

Susan, you took the words right out of my mouth!!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Erm? I do watch too much british comedy (Eddie Izzard, especially) I've noticed my American has been getting a bit worse

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*sigh* Still waiting to hear back from the agent....she's certainly taking her time!

Whilst waiting, I have been looking through the details again and have noticed that they state that the property is 'Close to the Universities' three times!
If they don't want students, why mention that???!!!

I have also noticed that considering the place is supposed to be 'Fully Furnished', there seems to be a lot missing! Desk for study, hoover, kettle, toaster, microwave, coffee table....the list goes on! Two main items they lack are a lawn mower and alarm!!

I am going to speak to the agant about all this today and hopefully get the yes or no to the 3 month upfront payment!

Still keeping my fingers crossed!