Persuading Landlords to Accept Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I phoned the agent and apparently, the owner wanted to sleep on the offer and ask her husband! She hasn't heard back from her yet! She said she would call her again, so now I am waiting....again!

I have found out that the owner is a Solicitor, so really, she should have more of a realistic view on what to expect from a tenant....wouldn't you think?!!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Received the phone call from the agent and the landlady will NOT budge on the 6 month upfront rental payment

The agent actually got pretty agressive when I asked about the student thing and then said, 'You can't afford it can you?' and said she'd send back the admin cheque. then she hung up....

It was all so fast, going from looking forward to a possible move to nothing

I just can't believe it, I haven't got the words (without turning the air blue) to describe how I feel about all this!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh never!. Sarah it wasn't meant to be chick!.

How she can expect two students to cough up 6 months in advance is beyond me?!. She must think you rake it in like what these solicitors do!!.

Get the paper out and start again!, and hope that her house stands idle for the next 6 months

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not having much luck at all with this house hunting, am I? *sigh*

Yeah, it was obviously not meant to be, but it didn't have to tease me like that!

I spoke to my Mum and she said the same thing about hoping it would stay empty for AGES!
Or that we could get a house next door or something and then when her house gets wrecked, she'll see me out in the garden mowing the lawn and planting plants!
Then she would regret it!

She does seem to think that we rake it in! She'd certainly rake it in, even more, if we had been able to afford the 6 month advance - imagine the interest she would gain on that!!!!!!!

I have found another place and am going to view it tomorrow, but the garden is overlooked by a block of flats
Worth a look though, I can always mark it off my list.

Back to hunting then....

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your right they have built your hopes up
They were quick to take the admin money though!!.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow
and don't worry about the flats, they may be elderly people who live in them who won't be able to spy on you sunbathing

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No compromise on the 6 month advance. That's too bad. It looked so nice. Good luck finding another place.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheers, Ryan! It was a great place, but if the landlady's this bad now, who knows what she'd be like if I was living in her place?!!

Susan, I hope it goes well tomorrow! The thing is, I kind of know that there are a lot of students that live in the flats round there! (they are basically the flat I live in now, but down the road!
Do you think they'll watch me?!!
I'd better make sure I don't go topless or partake in some nudist gardening!

Not that I have a tendancy to do that, just if I decided to try!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nasty old crow anyhow.. I wouldn't live in a solicitor's place, really, anyway- It seems to me that she'd just be awful to deal with. The agent had no reason to be that nasty about it though!! her mum clearly didnt' teach her how to behave.

Here's to finding another place, with a polite person in charge!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw Sarah, I'm sorry you're not having luck! I guess you're just gonna have to come over to Texas and look for an apartment here!

Just kidding... good luck to ya! Something will turn up, no worries!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Dnise, you are probably right, she probably would be difficult to deal with and the agent, well!
I won't be going through her again, that's for sure!

Ari, if things keep carrying on like this, we'll all be on the next flight over!

So, I had another house to look at today....never happened. The rude agent phoned this morning and told me that the landlord of the property would also want six months rent upfront....
Do they all want this now?

Well, I asked about this and she said that it is now law!!!!!!???? I explained that I am not doing that in my present property, and then she came up with another story about people not being comfortable with a guarantor....??

I have a feeling that it might be the property agents putting these ideas into the heads of the landlords. Why would anyone decide that six months upfront would be plausible??!!

Anyway, I am going to try to speak to the other agent that I have seen - the one who pointed out that there was nowhere in the Landlord's or the Tenant's agreements that specifically ask if you were to be living with pets! He might be able to shed some light on the situation.

I just can't believe it, especially as we are only going to be students for the next three months???!!!!!!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah - the NUS site has free advice and information for students about leasing properties here's the link http://www.nusonline.co.uk/info/housing/12445.aspx

I really do advise you to speak to the NUS at your Uni or the accomodation office. Even though this may not be a Uni owned property they may maintain property lists and be able to offer advice on whether the terms are fair or unfair. They are there to help you and will be happy to do so.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the agents work on commision of leases and such out there.. you would think they'd be nicer to you?
Awful lady..

though talking to that man that helped you about the cats is an excellent Idea!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 months rent up front?! I just saw a sign at an apartment complex near me that said 6 months rent FREE... guess you better start looking up plane tickets!

Sorry it's such a hassle for you... I still think something great will come along soon!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that they do work on commission, but I don't know if they might be more likely to get more money if we upfront 6 months?!!

Susan, I reckon you're right there! It's a wonder if they've had any training at all, besides, the rude agent doesn't look any older than me!!

Ari, 6 months rent free!! I'm on my way!

Beth, I am going to get in touch with uni, they are going to get back to me, as apparently a lot of people are having troubles!
I am also going to speak to the helpful agent and see if we can get anywhere through that route?!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The agents probably haven't had any real training Sarah. And, sadly, there are a lot of unscrupulous ones out there - particularly where students are concerned. Students are seen as easy meat as they are not going to be long-term tenants (here one year gone the next) and as they're living away from home for the first time are perceived to be easier to push around. That's why Universities put so much support in place to help students out.

I hope you get it sorted. Don't take anything at face value and as I've mentioned before when you do find a place go over it with a fine toothcomb, comparing it to the inventory and marking any differences. Report anything you find to the agent and keep a copy of the annotated inventory that you return to the office. Then at the end of the tenancy if they do try to come back at you for anything, you will have proof of the state of the place when you went in.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! If you don't want to answer this one that's fine - which Uni are you at?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is such a shame that they don't receive any training and how they look to students as easy targets *sigh* I have tried to explain to them that we are only going to be students for the next few months, but are willing to sign a 6 month contract!??

I will definitely rmember to go through everything thoroughly!
I made and inventory when I moved here - because we had to in Halls - and I managed to get a number of problems sorted there and then! (the agent's didn't provide one themselves though, we didn't even sign to acknowledge which items of furniture etc belong to them....??) As you say, it gives me evidence of things that they might try to charge for!

I am at Manchester Met. Of course I don't mind telling you!