Persuading Landlords to Accept Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cla517

If this is something you want, be a pest! People tend to forget about the "nice" ones who never call!
Thank you! I think I will, but I just hate to feel rude by pestering them!
But as you say, they will probably forget about me and I'll miss my chance!

I'll let you know how it goes!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Sarah ring them back and ask if he can be contacted by mobile?
I have his mobile number on a piece of paper somewhere (in this mess I call a flat!!) But I'd feel even more rude calling him on that

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*sigh*

I called him today and he said that they haven't got the keys for the place yet and he can't get hold of the owner to get them....?? Huh?
Plus there is someone still living there

So, anyway, I am going to take your advice and keep pestering and pestering and pestering until he sorts out a viewing for me!! I understand that he needs the keys and that it changes viewing times when someone lives there, but you really do need to see it before you take it - it could be awful!!

Oh and I did the milage for the house from my present flat and it isn't as far as I thought! It is only 0.7miles, so I am sure I can manage that!!

Good vibes that he has the keys tomorrow and actually - finally - rings me for a change!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! You've got the right thought pattern - you need to bug him til he caves! I know you can do it!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have finally managed to get a date and time for the viewing of the second house I have seen. However, the rubbish thing is that it is going to be on Tuesday in the afternoon.

He said that they were fully booked for viewings for the property which - in short, as I have experienced before with a similar place - means it will be gone in the first few days.

I am having no luck what-so-ever with this property thing, am I??

The thing is, like the last place I looked at, it might look better in the pictures and not be workable at all in reality, so I begrudge applying before I have seen it. But it may (probably will) be snapped up!

GRRRRRR....What to do??

d'elle and beau

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarah I really feel for you. I don't know which is worse, looking for a place to live or looking for a job, but both activities suck, in my opinion! I have talked several landlords into letting me have my cat, even when the ad in the paper clearly stated No Pets. I think that the resume for your cat is a great idea, however, my experience is that the best thing to do is meet the landlord personally first, if possible. Then I impress that person with what an obviously tidy and clean-cut and stable and thoughtful and mature person I am (and so on), and then I bring up the cat, and talk about all the things that are in the resume letter. I have even talked people into letting me have a cat AND a dog, when their ad said No Pets. I just let them meet my dog and see how well behaved he/she was. Of course, about 75% of landlords cannot be talked into this. But that leaves one out of four that you CAN convince. You just have to be patient and most important persistant. What helps the most is if the landlord/landlady thinks that you are a person similar to them (whether you are or not). If you can give them that impression, you are ahead of the game! Good Luck!!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved to this flat, I tried to find places with Housing Association. The thing is, I found the office about 2 minutes away and they are literally NEVER open and they don't display their phone number in the window

I might have a quick flick through the paper and see if they have a number there. I just don't want to have to leave this area

Oh and also, they have put the rent up by £10 on the house I want to see

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That would be your best bet a private landlord or housing association, i know theres always lots advertised in our local papers so hopefully yours will be the same!.

Oh and the other one went up in price!. It wasn't meant to be?!.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That would be your best bet a private landlord or housing association, i know theres always lots advertised in our local papers so hopefully yours will be the same!.

Oh and the other one went up in price!. It wasn't meant to be?!.
I will keep an eye out!

The property started at £575
I think it is because it has become popular and the agents said they could put the price up.

They seem to do that a LOT with the properties around here

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOO HOO!

My house hunting trail is back on the go!
I have been continuing to view other properties, but none of them have been very good or they have been whipped up within the first few days.

But, you guys were right about fate!

One of the first few houses that I viewed (that is perfect and great for everything!) and missed out on because the agent said that no pets were allowed is back on the rental market!

Sadly, the price has been upped considerably, but they have done it up a lot and added telephone entry system etc! I am sure that my flat mate and I can push it just that little bit further to get this house!

I am going to view it this afternoon at 4:30, so everyone please keep your fingers and paws crossed for me!

I hope it is as good as I remember, as I now know that I can bring Tibby and Molly, so it could be all go!

I'll put some pics up in a minute!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures of the house I am going to see this afternoon!

This is the outside! The door area is a little enclosed hallway with downstairs loo!

The lounge

The kitchen

One of the three bedrooms

The bathroom (strangely with a glass door?!!)

And finally, the garden - for the cats to go out on their leads!

This is the house that I have (wrongly, I know) compared to all the others that I have seen! But it is so much better and closer to uni, so I don't have to struggle!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sarah fingers, toes and paw pads are crossed for you!. If you get it it just means not going out everyweek, thats if you do?!.

Let us know how it goes.
Thank you!

If I do go out, I tend to just pop down to the local or stop at the Students' Union! (where drinks are cheap!!) I will be near to a new local there though, if I get it!
Looks quite cheap too

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sarah it's lovely!!
I love the kitchen as well

Is it too soon to be planning a bbq in your area yet if you get it?!
Isn't it lovely?! It is only approximately 6 months old!!
If I get it, we'll only be the second tenants to live there!

Of course it's not too soon to plan a BBQ!! Everyone is welcome! Not sure if the lovely Manchester weather would hold out for us though!