Optimistic about Nala Ava Marie having a companion?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Close up of Clawdia
1st night as sisters, kitty girls! [emoji]128151[/emoji]
Clawdia has a very pretty face and very striking eyes.  There is a daintiness to her that's very appealing, as well.   And what tremendous progress to see Nala Ava Marie and Clawdia on the bed together.   Considering how feisty Nala Ava Marie is, I was a little worried, but so far, things look like they could not be going any better.  

I wondered what Dale thought about this and now understand - he's not there!  I hope by the time he comes back, Clawdia is firmly ensconced indoors and he accepts the inevitable with grace!   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope so! [emoji]128571[/emoji]
Things were going pretty well, but I just heard a familiar hiss! Nala Ava Marie! Clawdia is not intimidated in the least bit though. In fact, Nala should be minding her manners. Clawdia could tear her to shreds with her razor sharp claws and teeth. Nala seems on edge and keeps looking at me like "Mommy, what have you done, I don't care for the new girl." Nala sleeps with me, I think Clawdia wants to sleep w me. I just heard Nala hiss again. Did I make a mistake here? Nala was already skittish, now she's even more on high alert. I'm not sure how the sleeping arrangement will work out..... It will be ok to put Clawdia in her own area, wouldn't it?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry Nala will adjust! Cats like having companions, but it's normal for them to be territorial in the beginning.  Hissing is fine.  Things have been going VERY well in your household actually.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1st night as sisters, kitty girls! [emoji]128151[/emoji]
I don't know much about introducing cats, only what I've read on this forum, but I'm pretty sure having them both that close together on your bed this soon in the introductions, is pretty much amazing! 

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have bad feeling that Clawdia is unhappy.[emoji]128575[/emoji] Nala is even more skittish than normal for her. Please don't hate me but I'm thinking of rehoming Clawdia. Nala Ava Marie is my baby and my priority. I love Clawdia but Nala is more stressed than I've ever seen her. She's already been through so much in her young life, as Clawdia has also. Clawdia is a tough survivor. Both of these kitten girls deserve to be happy. I am still planning on having Clawdia spayed. She's had all vaccinations. She's friendly, she's affectionate. Nala is just not accepting of her. There is no actual fighting but the tension is so high.
Am I giving up too soon? Am I just being lazy? It's only been 1 night, I know but I don't want either kitty to suffer, not even for a minute. I still intend to have Clawdia spayed. I fed her, gave her water, cared for her, prayed so hard for her to be healthy and thank God she is. Spent over $110.00. I wish someone could take her and give her a happy life as an only kitty. Is it cruel that Nala is my priority? I've been through so much with Nala Ava Marie. My Mom is mad at me right now and acting like I'm just going to throw Clawdia out in traffic or something. That's not it, I just want Nala to ba a well adjusted kitty. She already has behavior problems. Idk what I was thinking?

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I have Clawdia in the entryway with food, water, towel bed, and litter box. Nala seems more at ease already with Clawdia behind closed door. [emoji]128575[/emoji]

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I have Clawdia in the entryway with food, water, towel bed, and litter box. Nala seems more at ease already with Clawdia behind closed door. [emoji]128575[/emoji]
Having the newbie in a safe room is very important. Henry was in his safe room for weeks before he ever met the girls face to face. They knew he was there but they didn't interact with him. This was just as much for his benefit as it was for theirs. Clawdia isn't just meeting a new cat, she's also getting a new home with lots of new scents and sights plus new people. It can be a sensory overload. Add in a feisty little thing like Nala Ava Marie and it can be a lot to handle.

Even after the girls met Henry, they were not exposed to each other on a full time basis for another few weeks. Then I left the door to the safe room open all the time and they visited him at will. Every cat is different. Every cat adjusts to new surroundings and other animals differently. I think re-homing Clawdia at this point is way too soon.  You can always separate them and do the re-introduction. This is not uncommon to have to do at all. They are both very young. Since you do want to keep them both, there's no reason to rush things. You're doing fine so far, I'd just slow things down. If you haven't read this article about introducing cats, I recommend it highly. I used it when I brought Henry home. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Another thing to remember. When you have a multi cat household, there is always a pecking order. There is always an alpha who is dominate over the rest. The girls need to decide the pecking order themselves in their own way. The likelihood is that Nala Ava Marie will be the alpha but time will tell.

Another important thing is that you need to relax and let things progress the way they are supposed to. The cats are picking up your anxiety about the situation and it could be adding to the tension between them.

Everything is going to be OK. They have interacted with each other and there has been positive reactions from both of them. These girls will (hopefully) live together for many happy, healthy years. Let them take it slowly.

I'd like to repeat myself. You have done nothing wrong. I know how much we want all of our cats to be best friends and we want that friendship to start immediately but the more we let them get used to each other and set the pace of the relationship the better. You also need to prepare yourself for the fact that even though they will likely end up co-existing, it doesn't mean that they will ever be "besties". Lilith and Sophie are sisters yet they are not cuddly with each other and they don't groom each other or anything like that. The same with them and Henry. They all co-exist just fine but I would not refer to any of them as "friends" and that is OK. Lilith is our alpha and likes to flex her iron paw from time to time but nobody has ever hurt or terrorized anyone.

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Don't worry, everything that has happened is perfectly normal.  In fact, the fact they coexisted on the bed at all last night is a very good sign of things to come.  It will just take a little while.  You're doing fine. 

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I just want both kittens to be happy I'm just keeping them separated tonight so there's less tension. I know they didn't actually fight but they both seem so tense when they're around each other.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be best if you do a more prolonged introduction and keep them completely separated until they are ready. This will also give your new girl time to heal after spaying. Basically, you would feed them on opposite sides of a door until they are both more comfortable.

Take a deep breath. These girls are both going to be fine, but they do need some time.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I did have unrealistic expectations. I see the photos with cats cuddled up to each other! Grooming each other, playing together! So adorable. I envisioned that for Nala and Clawdia! Oh, Clawdia is only litter box trained w #2's. She pees wherever she wants and her urine has a lot stronger smell that Nala's! I thought she was using the litter box just fine bc I wasn't finding any wet spots but I smell cat urine in her safe area! I don't know where she's peeing yet but it's not in the litter box! [emoji]128563[/emoji][emoji]128575[/emoji]

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really believe they will end up that way, happy sisters.  It's only been a couple of days.  If she doesn't know how to pee in the litter box definitely keep her in the room by herself to potty train her!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
It might help if you buy some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter for Clawdia's box.  http://preciouscat.com/product/cat-attract/    Also, when you clean up the urine, be sure to use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle so all traces of the urine smell are gone.  Otherwise, Clawdia might be drawn back to that spot.  

Often when cats who normally use the litter box start peeing outside of it, the first step is a vet check-up for a UTI.  In Clawdia's case, since it's not clear she ever used the box in the first place, and since you just took her to the vet, I'd just keep an eye on her.  Be on the lookout for bloody urine or straining when urinating.

Don't be disappointed if Clawdia and Nala Ava Marie never become close snugglers.     Paul and Chula are siblings and they rarely even sleep near each other.  It doesn't mean they aren't friends, though.   

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used the 'cheap' lightweight litter for her and I should have used Nala's expensive "Kitten Attract" litter in the pink box. It smells good before it gets used. Lol, smells like pine needles. Nala loves it. That's what I used training her. Ugh, I wonder how long it'll take her to catch on using the litter box? Nala didn't take too long, but at the time it seemed like it was taking forever! [emoji]128570[/emoji]

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They've been completely separated just to ease all of our stress about interactions. Idk, maybe since they didn't actually fight I am being overly cautious? I could just tell they were both so nervous and on edge. Plus a new problem is developing with Clawdia! I have a couple ideas how to remedy the situation but I'm not sure. Anyway, she has been pooping in her litter box but idk where she is peeing? I've not actually seen any wet spots but there is very horrible, strong urine smell in her safe area! Maybe she is urinating in her litter box and her urine just has strong odor? Can female cats spray? Could she be marking and scenting her territory? She's scheduled for her spay surgery tomorrow but would it be too traumatic for her since she's already making adjustments to living indoors? I have not tried giving her another litter box yet, maybe she would want one for peeing & another for #2?
She acts miserable, she paces, she makes me feel like I'm incarcerating her in her little prison but if I don't then Nala Ava Marie is totally on edge. Her safe area is actually our entryway so it's not very big. She has everything she needs. I go in there and pet her, brush her and give her food & water. I have a little light on for her so it's not pitch dark in there. Tomorrow I'm going to move everything all around and see if I can determine where the really horrible urine odor is coming from. I'm so tired right now.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, female cats can spray. Spaying her ASAP is very important. It will help make her more comfortable and help make Nala more comfortable as well. As Clawdia adjusts to the indoors, she'll calm down more. 

You need to be patient with the introduction. It takes time for cats to be friends. Rushing introductions actually makes it much more likely to go badly. I have a picture thread of my two cats and their introduction. You can see it here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/306236/gradual-introductions-work

It took a while but they're now good friends. Introductions are hard. You have to have more realistic expectations and be willing to move their introduction at their pace not yours. 

I'm sure they'll end up friends if you just follow proper introduction method. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying her will help greatly. Are you letting Clawdia out while Nala is in a safe room each day? She definitely needs time to wander, get comfortable with the house, and to play.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg, that's totally something I should be doing, I've kept Clawdia isolated to her safe area & haven't been letting Nala Ava Marie in the entryway! I messed up! I wanted Clawdia to feel like it was her own personal space, before I put her in there though, when I was just kind of letting them both wander freely, she seemed content exploring all around. She actually seems more at ease with contact with Nala. Nala Ava Marie is the one who is agitated with Clawdia's mere presence. I had good intentions for both kitty girls. A companion for Nala Ava Marie and a real, indoor loving home for Clawdia. I was hopeful when Dale was feeding her and taking an interest in her, then he just abruptly changed his mind. He got angry when I took her to the vet, he's refusing to get her spayed (like that really stops me from doing what I want.) I'll deal with his bitching when the time comes. He's not a very compassionate or empathetic person. As I aid before, he grew up on a farm and to him "barn cats" we're NOT pets, they were mousers and that's it. They were not cruel to them but they didn't show them anymore kindness than squirrels or rabbits or raccoons. I feel like Clawdia feels isolated and unwelcomed. I hope I didn't make things worse. I feel so sorry for her. Then to make matters worse I accidentally have been leaving the entryway light on all night! I keep my bottled water in entryway and often forget to turn the light off. She seems to be sleeping ok, but if she's stressed I'm sure the constant lightness isn't helping her. She looks out the window like she longingly wants to be outside? Am I keeping her prisoner?