Not Sure If My Cat Is Pregnant..But Concerned :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The jerking sounds more like it's something neurological perhaps. Bella will hopefully calm down and stop biting her baby. She should be licking and cleaning her, but not biting, unless she's trying to move her. I'm wondering if maybe she needs to settle into one nest with her baby. It would be better than moving the kitten from bed to floor. She may be feeling protective of her kitten if you are handling it too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The jerking sounds more like it's something neurological perhaps. Bella will hopefully calm down and stop biting her baby. She should be licking and cleaning her, but not biting, unless she's trying to move her. I'm wondering if maybe she needs to settle into one nest with her baby. It would be better than moving the kitten from bed to floor. She may be feeling protective of her kitten if you are handling it too much.
I think she doesn't know how to pick it up. And what if she pulls the umbilical cord out! I'm scared if leave her and let her do whatever she's going to hurt her! When my boyfriend is by her she doesn't bite it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's normal for mama cats to spot blood for about a week after giving birth.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update so far today: had to sleep on the floor again :'( but baby seeks my comfort when Bella is gone, probably for warmth. Its incredible but baby weighs 164 grams at 1:30 this afternoon. I have no idea how since it seems like every time she finally gets latched and sucks for a minute bella has the sudden urge to get up and leave. She's cleaning and voiding on her own now, she does it lots and there is always pee but I am really not sure if she has pooped or not, Bella won't really let me see haha. But with a weight like that could she be backed up? Bella isn't biting her nearly as much and when she does I'm pretty sure it's to move her or submiss her so she can clean her lol. The baby sometimes shrieks when Bella is cleaning her bum almost like she's in pain or something. OH, and last night when Bella got up and left her in the middle of nursing her, I caught the baby sucking on its paw..I thought I read somewhere that this was bad. Is it actually really bad or Is it just like a human baby sucking its thumb? I did give her a couple drops of water from a syringe as it's pretty hot in the room and sometimes she can feel a bit warm..until bella leaves her of course. Stil jerking around :/ but I've noticed she doesn't really do it when nursing and when I cup a hand around her sort of? Like comfort? Sorry I know I just rambled on! Hopefully someone can give me some feedback @sarthur you have been amazing with advice and I truly do appreciate it! :) I'll try to post a picture today since I have the phone at home, I've been thinking baby is a girl because she's an exact tortie replica of Bella! I'm now wondering if maybe it's a boy considering the weight gain, I know boys weigh more!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are there longer periods of nursing than one minute? There must be for the baby to be gaining. It sounds like Bella is beginning to calm down some, as I had hoped and predicted - which is a good sign!

My guess is that Bella is cleaning up the poop, which means you won't see it. I think the baby is a good weight because she does not have to fight siblings for a nipple. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking! There are definitely longer nursing periods and often too..I'd say even more than once an hour sometimes. I was trying to see if baby's belly was hard to indicate no pooping but I can't really tell the difference :/ she's super cute though and only cries when she's hungry or when Bella licks her bum/body too much or too rough (not sure which as I'm sure all mama's lick their babies fairly rough) Bella gets a lot of comfort from my boyfriend and he has the day off today so he's spent some time on the floor with them too and Bella goes into instant all-star mom mode haha kinda weird since I have always been her main carer and she even used to sleep in between us in the bed with her arms wrapped around my neck purring all night! She was a super mommy's girl until she became a mommy herself I guess :p

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that baby is quite the crawler already haha, really on the move when mom leaves her so I would like to (i possible/if a good idea) move baby and Bella to the crate nest I had told you guys about before. Baby also opens her mouth sometimes really wide..kinda like a yawn..is she hissing at me?! Or yawning ..or having troupe breathing :/ I've also established that yes, she is a girl!:D [emoji]10084[/emoji] going to post some pics now too

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Baby may be yawning or trying to hiss. The crawling is fine but she does need to be contained right now and stay warm. Most well-fed kittens have a round belly to grow on!

I think Bella is showing off in all her maternal glory to your boyfriend. Sort of like children who dote on daddy and ignore mom after he comes home from a long day at work! [emoji]128521[/emoji]

What is the yellow stuff in the picture?

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's totally doing that with my boyfriend, he works 6-7 days a week and long hours so when he comes home she's like LOOK LOOK LOOK DAD!! Lol it's adorable.

My phone has a yellow tinge to it because I have the flash off and the blanket they are laying on has a pattern of a cat on it so that's the yellow your seeing. I'm going to wash their bedding tomorrow..at least I want to..how do I go about that without upsetting her? :/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just put down clean bedding in the nest area as you remove the dirty pieces. It should be fine.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So don't move her into the crate then? I don't want to upset her anymore. She's still a bit rough licking it, kinda throws her around a bit. Her bum looks a bit puffy maybe but I could be wrong it could be normal for her licking it all the time

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use the crate if you need it. Like I said, the baby needs to stay in a small area. You can put a dab of vaseline on the baby's bottom.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Bella was just licking her then all of a sudden baby started squealing and Bella stopped and backed off..I looked and she was pooping and Bella wouldn't keep licking her..so I helped baby and it was like the colour and consistency of peanut butter :/ is thAt bad?! Bella wouldn't lick her bum til I got rid of it..then she licked it clean again .. NOW baby's bum looks swollen..I'll try to get a pic and I'll try the Vaseline.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's normal baby kitten poop! [emoji]128077[/emoji] It's good you helped to clean it up.

You can also gently apply a warm, damp cloth to baby's bum for relief, then put the vaseline on it. Continue to reapply.

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's normal baby kitten poop! [emoji]128077[/emoji] It's good you helped to clean it up.

You can also gently apply a warm, damp cloth to baby's bum for relief, then put the vaseline on it. Continue to reapply.
Okay I'll do yhat, she's starting to get pretty bothered by bellas licking I think..she really cries out :( I wonder if Bella will start to clean up her poop..she looked right at me and pushed the baby over to me and was like NOPE lol so I helped her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully Bella will lick her a little less. Most mama cats do lick a lot, but it's because they have multiple kittens! [emoji]128522[/emoji]