Not Sure If My Cat Is Pregnant..But Concerned :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just when it's laying there. It seems to be okaynow, and is fine when nursing and when with mom. I'm going to make a rice sock because I do think it was getting chilled when Bella left for a few minutes. The baby comes right to me for warmth though and I have a nice blanket on it too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good. It probably is cold. Kittens can't regulate their temperature, so they get cold fast when mom is not around.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good. It probably is cold. Kittens can't regulate their temperature, so they get cold fast when mom is not around.
Yah she seems to get cold quick..it's SO hot in my room! Bella seems agitated but I'm trying to get her to stay with baby

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bella may just need a break. It's okay if she takes a break. Just keep the baby warm. Is mom eating well since having the baby?

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bella may just need a break. It's okay if she takes a break. Just keep the baby warm. Is mom eating well since having the baby?
Oh yah she's eating great! I'm worried about baby though. How do I make a rice sock and how long should I warm it up for?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just fill a sock - an athletic sock works well - with raw, uncooked rice, and microwave it for 5 minutes. Then roll it up in a towel and place it near the baby, but with room for her to move away if she gets too warm. She'll probably snuggle right up to it. It should stay warm for 3-4 hours. Then, just heat it again! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I need some advice. Bella is being quite vicious to the baby. Not all the time, she nurses and cleans it but then she'll grab it and bite it and I have to force her to let go. I don't know why she's being so aggressive but I'm worried about her tugging on the cord I just cut and biting her tonight. I didn't sleep last night and slept maybe 45 minutes on the floor with them today..I have to sleep tonight. Would it be okay to take the baby and the rice sock and have it sleep elsewhere and make sure it feeds every hour and a half or so? Or is that a horrible idea? I just don't want Bella to hurt or kl or eat the baby..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It might work if you are planning to wake up every 2 hours to let the newborn nurse. It really must eat frequently. However, it might upset mama even more. I still hope she calms down soon!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should try your plan for a couple of hours and see how it goes tonight. This should not be permanent. It's so you can rest knowing the kitten is safe until mom calms down some.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So should I leave it with her and hope for the best? I don't know if I feel comfortable with that
Is she actually biting it or trying to pick the baby up to move it somewhere else?  It can be hard to tell the difference.  When Tally had hers, she initially had trouble picking the babies up, like she didn't know how.  We caught her carrying one by its leg, another from the under side of its neck.  But she soon got the hang of it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How did things go through the night? How did mama react? Did you get some sleep?

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did things go through the night? How did mama react? Did you get some sleep?
Sorry for the late reply! I don't have any electronics during the day while my boyfriend is at work. I ended up sleeping on the floor with them. I got a bit of sleep, Bella nursed her every couple of hours and tried to void but I had to help a bit. Bella ended up leaving the nest a lot though and so I put the kitten in a blanket and it snuggled right up to me and slept for about an hour and a half at 230 am. Bella was off and on okay with it then possessive and took over again. Then this morning when my boyfriend left for work I moved to the bed and bella was a bit upset at first then ended up laying beside me but always makes me put the baby back on the floor to feed and I always have to stay with them or she gets up and leaves. The baby pooped today though and I was a little worried I don't know what it's supposed to look like but I'm going to take a picture of it since its on a tissue and see what you guys think. Baby is still off and on jolting too..I don't know how to describe it..I've already tried and no one understood me. I don't know why she's doing it either, could be cold or hungry or need to poop and sometimes it goes away but it comes back. Baby weighed 130 grams at 1:30 pm yesterday and weighs 143 grams today at 1:30 pm. I didn't weigh her when she was born cu everything was already pretty stressful.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the poop from a little while ago. Its the only one I've seen. I actually thought they were little pellets but maybe she's actually constipated or has diarrhea? Bella doesn't always void right after feeding her so I try to. Almost always a pee but I didn't know if she was pooping or not. Is this normal or is she in trouble and if so what can/should I do?! Also baby flips out if I try to put her on her back to rub her sides and belly, she just screams and cries and curls into a ball

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's normal kitten poop. The kitten's weight is excellent! It sounds like things are actually going well. Try to let mama kitty stimulate the kitten to pee and poop. If you really need to do it, don't put the baby on its back. Just hold it upright in one hand and stimulate it with the other.

As for the jerking, does it seem like a seizure? How long does it last?

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's just one jerk and then stops for a second then does it again. Almost like when a newborn human baby gets scared suddenly.. Then relaxs and does it again. What about the biting..is it because I'm too involved? Bella and I have always been close and even now she won't do anything for the baby really unless I'm right there with her..hence sleeping on the floor