Not Sure If My Cat Is Pregnant..But Concerned :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead and start her on the soft food. Let us know how she does with it. You may need to let her lick it from your finger initially, or even smear some on her mouth to get her started.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and start her on the soft food. Let us know how she does with it. You may need to let her lick it from your finger initially, or even smear some on her mouth to get her started.
Okay, I was just about to say she's not at all interested in the food in the bowl :/ even running full speed around the room away from it haha

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she's 7 weeks old today. She is somewhat litter trained but I cannot for the life of me get her to eat or try soft foods :( I don't know what to do! I've tried rubbing it on her legs and paws, I've put it in a bowl for her. I've tried Gerber baby food, fancy feast chicken..nothing is working?! What do I do! I also think she was constipated because I just found a poop yesterday in her old nest box that was quite large but not as big as bella's or buttons and I had been questioning constipation for a couple days after giving her kmr.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So she is existing on just KMR? Have you tried softening dry kitten chow in KMR? Perhaps she will eat that.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No she's existing just on bella's milk. I hAve given bella a couple small breaks during the day by giving her a 3ml syringe of kmr a couple times. I think I'll try softening the kitten chow because she does go to that bowl quite often. She actually goes to bella's bowls a lot and smells them but won't ever try them :( I have a separate bowl for baby's food though and as soon as I bring it in she'll smell it then run away!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens wean between 5 and 8 weeks. She's had mommy all to herself and is in no hurry! She'll get hungry enough soon. Just keep trying.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often should she be pooping? ! I literally JUST managed to get her litterbox trained the other day. She knows to pee in it, then she saw Bella poop in her own box so then Brinlee (baby) pooped in hers (twice in one day) but hasn't pooped since. That was two and a half days ago. Before that she pooped in her nesting box about 3 or 4 days before she pooped in her litterbox. My dad had to watch her the other morning while I went to an appointment and when I got home he said "she may have eaten something and then threw up a piece of whatever she ate" but couldn't tell me what it was. he's no longer allowed to watch her. I'm just wondering if she's okay or if it's normal for her to go this long between poops? Should I try giving her more water maybe? She has started eating soft food as of just yesterday lol and I put a couple drops of olive oil in it, but obviously still no progress or I wouldn't be on here asking for advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably needs more fluids. You can add water or formula to the wet food.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already do! I mix about 1/3 of a small can of fancy feast with about 2 or 3 tbsp of kmr! I just gave her some water, she was drinking from the cats fountain at one point but she accidentally got it up her nose and hasn't gone back lol :/ so maybe she's lacking water? She's also still nursing from bella.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may just be her system adjusting to weaning. You might want to continue the drops of oil in her food until she gets more regular. It's okay for her to skip a day here and there.

Let us know if it continues.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she ended up pooping, she's still only pooping about every 3 or 4 days though :/ she just pooped about 15 minutes ago. I've been putting oil in her wet canned food mixed with some kmr. She's still nursing throughout the day and at night but not as much during the day as I'm trying to replace it with the wet food instead. She will NOT try dry chow :( I've tried everything to get her to eat it and she just won't. I've also tried to get her off nursing and there's just times where it is all she will take. I don't know how to break this! She's almost 9 weeks old now! Her poop today was a tiny bit green in colour and it was very hard for the first half then the last half was a more yellow and way looser. Could the oil be giving her diarrhea? Or the kmr? I'm so confused and don't know what to do here! I thought she was supposed to somewhat naturally transition onto soft foods and dry chow around 4 or 5 weeks! Now she's almost 9 weeks, still nursing, won't eat dry chow and everytime I get the soft food ready I basically have to convince her that she likes it all over again! Helpppp meeeeee

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like she needs antibiotics for bacterial infection with the loose yellow stool.

With her not pooping more frequently she needs to stay on the wet food.

Also, kittens will nurse for months, as long as mama lets them. Most are also eating wet food though.

Can you get her to the vet?

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep she's actually supposed to be going to the vet anyways for her first check up and to get her first shots and everything so I'll make sure she gets checked for this as well. Thanks for your advice

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need some advice! I basically know the answer I'm going to get here "take her to the vet" but I already know that and I'm looking for some actual information, if anyone is able to provide that!

Just to review her history: Bella had one kitten in February who is now about 12 weeks old and and doing well. She is not quite fully weaned but we're working on that. Since the start she has only nursed on one single nipple and it's been a bit of a struggle to get her on it and now to get her off it. Bella's bottom two nipples have always been fairly full and every so often I've helped express them to help her get some relief.

Last night Bella was vocal, more than she usual is. So I felt her belly and she did feel very full. I've been trying to keep her kitten off the nip and ON the solid food! To be blunt haha. When I gently squeezed one of the bottom nipples, pure blood came out. I checked the other bottom one and it was just a bit of milk and her kitten doesn't nurse from the bottom two. She only uses the one nipple up from the bottom on the left and that's IF I haven't scooped her up and put her in front of her food!

I'm concerned that she has mastitis or something else and I've tried to do some research but it's only landed me more confused. So any input, helpful information and advice is greatly appreciated! :) I understand that a vet appointment should be the first thing on my list since it was blood that I saw but it's a holiday long weekend and the vet here is extremely expensive when it's NOT an emergency visit nevermind when it is. The earliest appointment I can get is next Saturday. So please just provide advice and information if you are able to :) thanks so much!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to put warm, damp compresses on her sore mammary glands, and keep heat on them as much as possible to help draw out infection.

Also use coconut oil on her sore areas.

She will most likely need antibiotics to clear this if it is mastitis.

She's clearly in pain. If she does not get better you may need to get her in sooner than next Saturday by explaining the situation to the vet.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that is the most precious picture I've seen in some time, it's just adorable!! :cloud9:
For one, stop expressing her, this is only going to continue her milk production.
I don't recall mastitis causing blood to come out, it is usually hot, red and swollen.

Can you at least call her vet and ask opinions?
I honestly don't think I have ever heard of blood that is really red like that.
If mastitis is very bad I know they might produced slightly bloody milk, but what you are describing is pretty unusual.
Of course I have to say it! She really needs a vet to look at what is going on.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl! Sounds like she is in a lot of pain. I agree with the warm compresses. That is strange though, one of my mommas Sadie only had one kitten survive and all of her nipples dried up except for the one that the kitten preferred, I wonder why the back two didn't dry up a while ago.