Newborn Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's always a good idea to worm kittens. They go for first vaccines and worming at 8 weeks. Mom can be spayed and vaccinated at 8 weeks as well. The kittens can too if they are 2 pounds. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think kittens get their shots at 8 weeks.  They can be spayed/neutered at 8 weeks or 2 lbs.  Call your vet or a clinic to make an appointment today so you can get in when you want.  You can ask them what their policy is regarding shots and spay/neuter.  They go back in a month for the 2nd round and rabies (if needed) at 6 months.  Mom can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks, but again, you need to check with your vet since some insist on mom getting spayed after she is done nursing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will call the vet in a couple of weeks, thank you for your replies. They aren't quite 2 pounds yet, their weight ranges from 710~750 grams. They are so active these days, we put up a barrier but some of the kitties managed to jump and get out. We had to make it slightly taller but Sabin manages to get in and out fine :). They are loving the cat tower we bought for Sabin as well. Had to make steps so they can jump down though. They love going right to the top and sleeping.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update on the kittens, they are 51 days old now. Their weights are as follows.

Poppy - 875

Pickles - 896

Panda - 957

Pearl - 974
They got their first shot and deworming medicine yesterday, the vet said they should be drowsy and sleep most of yesterday, as soon as we got home they are back playing around the house. They are fully litter trained although they like to pee on one particular blanket, so we got rid of it for now. Didn't realise how quickly they run.

We are officially giving Poppy and Pearl away. Dreading the day when they will be leaving :(.
Didn't think they had worms but after the deworming medicine saw a worm in one of their stools. Should they take a deworming medicine each time they take their shots?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens should be dewormed again 2 weeks from the first time.

I do hope you are keeping the kittens with mom for 10-12 weeks at least. It is difficult to let them go! Are Poppy and Pearl going to their new home together?

The weights are awesome! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No they are going separately, the person picking up Poppy wants to pick her up next week. Should we tell him to wait a couple more weeks before picking her up? How many times should the kittens be dewormed?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worming is initially done twice, two weeks apart, to kill worms in the different stages of the life cycle.

8 weeks is too young when they have a mom. Ten to 12 weeks is much better. The kitten will be better adjusted the longer it stays with mom and siblings.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Worming is initially done twice, two weeks apart, to kill worms in the different stages of the life cycle.

8 weeks is too young when they have a mom. Ten to 12 weeks is much better. The kitten will be better adjusted the longer it stays with mom and siblings.
Absolutely I agree with sarthur2 on this.  The extra 2-4 weeks will give them time to learn their manners from mom.  Kittens who are separated too young tend to get nippy and bitey, as well has developing a tendency to want to nurse on their humans "parents."  The families will be much happier for having giving their new kittens a little extra time for mom to teach then proper behavior.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely I agree with sarthur2 on this.  The extra 2-4 weeks will give them time to learn their manners from mom.  Kittens who are separated too young tend to get nippy and bitey, as well has developing a tendency to want to nurse on their humans "parents."  The families will be much happier for having giving their new kittens a little extra time for mom to teach then proper behavior.
This is especially true if they are not given away in pairs!

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are going to keep them for another couple of weeks before giving them to their new owners.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is good to hear! It's the best thing for the kittens! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh good!  That is wonderful news!  No reason that the new families can't visit, at your convenience, of course, but the longer time with mama will mean better balanced kittens. 

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed Pearl having a runny stool, is there any particular reason why this would be? She is eating fine like the other kittens and is active as well, they are all eating Roya Canin Babycat canned food and Royal Canin Mother and Babycat dry food.
Also Pickles is having a hard time chewing the dry food, I've tried to give her one but she tries to chew it but can't break it and ends up spitting it back out, should she need to be checked out by the vet? All the others are having no issues chewing and eating dry food. From what I can see, she has normal baby teeth like the others as well.

Once again we appreciate the advice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pickles will eventually figure out how to eat the dry food.

What color is Pearl's runny stool? When did it start?

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's brown/black, same colour as her normal stool but it's just runny. It seems to have started yesterday. After the deworming medicine, I did notice a worm in one of their stools. They are going for their 2nd shots next week.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it's a side effect of worming and/or vaccines. It will clear up on its own. Just make sure the kitten is eating and drinking and not lethargic. And it may happen again next week after shots. Mild side effects usually disappear within a week.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh ok that is good to know, also noticed there is a small amount of clear discharge as well. She is definitely eating and drinking plenty. Plenty of energy as well, also noticed a runnier than normal stool from Pearl. Again she is the same, eating, drinking and very active. I thought the side effects would be straight away not 5 days later.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. The 5 days later is strange. I'd ask the vet. They may need an antibiotic for bacterial infection in the digestive tract. Or maybe a probiotic sprinkled in the wet food. It's concerning.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, all the stools seemed normal this morning. I'll check again when I get home from work tonight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Let's hope it stays that way!