Newborn Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, I guess we just need to pick up some extra newspaper and just wash the towels each time they do pee. They are just over 4 weeks old now :). Is it quite normal for Sabin to nurse one or a couple at a time. It seems like it will be tiring for her, she nurses in the box, sometimes outside on the blankets. We are dreading the day when we give away a couple of the kittens, we both have grown attached to all of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, as they grow, they may not all nurse at the same time. If you feed mom in the kittens' area, they may begin to show interest in the food sooner. Also, leave kitten chow in their area.

Re-homing is SO hard when you've raised them from birth. I couldn't do it, so I now have mom and her 4 grown children. Still enjoying it! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hooray i just got Pearl, Pickles and Poppy to eat some Royal Canin Babycat canned food. They ate a small amount each. I didn't mix it with any KMR, would that be an issue? They were nursing from Sabin and she got up to eat. I put some wet food on my finger and they ate it. So i put a small amount on a bowl and they ate some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's terrific! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

If they are eating it the way it is, there's no need to add KMR. We suggest that because it makes it mushier and easier for kittens to lap, but pate is fairly easy for them to eat and digest anyway.

Start putting them in the litter pan more often too as they begin eating more solids. Their poops will begin to be formed and mom will no longer clean them up.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update on the kittens weight at day 34.

Poppy - 550
Pickles - 586
Panda - 590
Pearl - 595
They all have started to eat solid food (wet), they are slowly drinking from the water fountain and other water bowls in the room. They are using the litter boxes, there were a couple of minor accidents but the last few days, there hasn't been any :). They are all running around and has lots of energy, Sabin seems to enjoy playing with them as well at times.

On a side note, after I gave Sabin KMR and she ate some wet food, she was drinking an unusually large amount of water, about 5 minutes later she vomited clear liquid. It seemed like just excess water, she is fine now and is very active with the kittens as I speak. We will monitor her carefully but is it normal for her to vomit after drinking too much water. She went back to the water fountain 3-4 times and I thought she was drinking a lot as well.
Last couple of days she has also been very affectionate as well, almost reminding me of how she was when she was pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are very cute! Good to hear they are eating solids and using the litter box well.

Their weights are also terrific for 34 days!

It sounds like mom had an upset tummy. It happens sometimes, but does not sound serious. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are very cute! Good to hear they are eating solids and using the litter box well.

Their weights are also terrific for 34 days!

It sounds like mom had an upset tummy. It happens sometimes, but does not sound serious. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Yup, it looked like she just had an upset stomach, she hasn't vomited today, she is still eating and drinking fine.

Is it ok for the kittens to eat dry food, Poppy has been eating some dry food that we leave out for Sabin, is it too young for her to be eating it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, it's fine, but it should ideally be kitten chow. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

OH!  Thank you!  If they were any cuter, they would be illegal in 27 states!  And I saw TAILS!  Wodgy widdle tails!
THEY ARE SO CUTE!!! We are dreading giving two away :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the tortie staying or going?  What a little beauty (although I am admittedly biased here)

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It will be staying with us, my wife absolutely adores her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's more than likely a "she."  Almost all torties are.  I adore them myself, as you can see by my profile pictiure.  That's Hekitty, the cat who rules my house with an iron paw.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When should we get the kitten to go get their first shots, Sabin needs to get her shots as well. Also it doesn't look like the kittens have worms but should we get them dewormed just in case?

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They will be 6 weeks tomorrow.