Newborn Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On a seperate note, what is the best way to try and catch a small kitten. Recently near our work we heard a small kitten, my wife and I saw it and it is a young kitten (eyes haven't changed colours) so assuming she is a month or two, again because it is getting really cold we want to at least take it to a shelter. The kitten just runs away from us. We have been giving it some of our kitten food and it looks like its eating it but not entirely not too sure. Again the biggest worry is she is really young and very cold outside. Haven't seen it yesterday so getting worried for him/her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will need a humane drop trap to catch the kitten, as running from you indicates it is not accustomed enough to humans to be comfortable being petted or handled. In the U.S., traps are loaned out by shelters with a deposit. It is set with food, and once the cat enters to eat it triggers the trap door to close, so must be checked and reset daily. See if you can borrow one from somewhere.

I would go and rescue Pearl immediately, and bring her home. The other cats may not remember her, but will accept her again over time. I would assume that Pearl has had no shots and no spaying, and those can be dealt with down the road. For now, Pearl needs saving. A life on the streets is no life for a kitten.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  Get Pearl home, and the rest will eventually fall in place.

I know that there are a few cat rescues in Japan, perhaps you can locate one with a drop trap.   Best of luck with the kitten.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update on the situation, in terms of the kitten near our work, we haven't seen it and the food that we left out hasn't been touch. So we are fearing the worst for it, the temperature is generally sub zero temps these days.
As for Pearl we are in a tough situation because at this stage we can't bring Pearl into our house, we can't keep her isolated in a seperate room currently. We have had noise complaints as we live in an apartment and we feel like she would make the situation worse and financially we just can't afford further vet bills at this stage. We are however looking at a new owner taking her. The situation is worse because we gave her to our current boss... we thought that she would take care of her but apparently gave her away because a person she knows was lonely. Then later we found out that she is living outside with the new owner...

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is infuriating as it seems like here in Korea, some pet owners think it is ok to just ditch their pets outside without thinking of the consquences. We have seen Blue Russians as strays and other breeds roaming and they can only be former pets. There aren't really laws like other countries to protect animal welfare either.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in France, and even if we have laws, they're just not followed, or enforced. Stray and feral population is growing, and people just don't seem to care. Not far from my place, there are lots of universities. We get to try and catch the cats they ditch outside once they finish their semester. It's not inherent to your country, it's everywhere. I learned recently that in France, domesticated animals were considered furniture until 2012, when a law was passed to change that. I'm disgusted, but mainly I'm sad.

I hope you can get Pearl back, she just can't stay outside. I know you said you were worried about noise complaints, but if it's just for a day or two, until you find a shelter for her? What about doing an outside catio?

Lots of
for these two kitties, I hope you can find them safe and sound.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why does Pearl need to be in a separate room? Can you bring her home long enough to secure a proper new home for her? The new owner can take care of vet bills. It is a matter of getting her off the streets asap. She's only 5 months old. She will easily adjust to your home again, and probably remember it.

Many countries, USA included, have huge feral and stray populations. It's not just Korea.

Perhaps someone else has rescued the other street kitten.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you really need to get Pearl inside asap. Please bring her into your home, even if temporarily!

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Upon reading everyone's suggestions we went out to look for her and good news, we found the new owners of Pearl and told them that we were taking it back as we she is from our litter and we don't agree with her living outside. My friend agreed to take care of her until we find a long term replacement owner. She seems a bit smaller than our kittens but I guess it could be the size. He's taken her home for now. Thanks a lot as always with your advice :)

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've lived in NZ and Aus my whole life and currently in South Korea, how they treat pets here are so different from what I'm used to. I'm Korean by heritage but just the way they treat pets here at times are disgusting... when we first met Sabin last year, there were broken bottles arounf where she used to live from people throwing bottles at the cats. I still can't fathom who would want to keep a 5 month old kitten as a pet and make it live outside... It is ****ing winter here and gets cold.

On a serperate note, is it ok for us not to free feed the kittens dry food now? We noticed Sabin gaining extra weight but that could be due to her spaying a couple of months ago as well. Or is there any otherway we could free feed the kitten but somehow stop Sabin from eating it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Upon reading everyone's suggestions we went out to look for her and good news, we found the new owners of Pearl and told them that we were taking it back as we she is from our litter and we don't agree with her living outside. My friend agreed to take care of her until we find a long term replacement owner. She seems a bit smaller than our kittens but I guess it could be the size. He's taken her home for now. Thanks a lot as always with your advice :)
I'm so glad that you were able to get her! Is there any way that you could keep her permanently? I just feel so badly for her, being passed around. I know you could give her a great home. I don't know that one more cat would be much more work.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness you have rescued Pearl! Thank you!

She is probably smaller because she has likely not been well fed. Hopefully, your friend will give her dry kitten chow 24/7, and 3 wet meals per day so that she can catch up.

Kittens should continue eating kitten chow and wet food until they are about 9 months old. I would not limit the availability of the dry food right now. Most cats gain weight after they are spayed, but it slows down and evens out after awhile once the hormones calm down and their metabolism adjusts.

Can your friend snap a picture of Pearl and send it to you, so that you may share it with us? I'd love to see her again!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Breathing deep again.  I'm am so glad that Pearl is now in safe hands. 

I hope to goodness that the little one you had spotted will turn up again, or has been taken in by some kind soul.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we really can't take care of 1 more cat in our current apartment. So in terms of Pearl, she was 2.4kg which is similar to Pickles who is currently 2.5kg's so it seems like she has been eating. My friend said that he may have found Pearl a permanent home so going to meet them later on in the week and hopefully she goes to a good home.

How much weight do cats gain after getting spayed. Sabin is currently 6kg, she was about 5kg before the spay. Just worried that she is gaining too much weight at the moment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure to ascertain whether the new adopters can afford vaccines and spaying as soon as possible, along with food, and that Pearl will be an indoor only cat. Also, make sure they have a way to contact you if they decide for any reason that they cannot keep her, so she does not end up on the street again.

Is Sabin a big-framed cat? Does she look overweight? I have 15-pound cats, but they are not overweight. As I mentioned in an earlier post, most cats gain weight after being spayed, but it levels off eventually.

Please share a picture of Pearl. Her weight sounds good for her age.

Last edited:

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes we will thank you. At least she has her whiskers intact. Our kittens has their whiskers chewed off by Sabin unfortunately.

Sabin is not a big framed cat and she definitely looks overweight at the moment. But because the kittens snack on the dry food through out the day. We are just giving her a weruva pouch a day. And then she eats dry food.

Sabin

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes we will thank you. At least she has her whiskers intact. Our kittens has their whiskers chewed off by Sabin unfortunately.

Sabin is not a big framed cat and she definitely looks overweight at the moment. But because the kittens snack on the dry food through out the day. We are just giving her a weruva pouch a day. And then she eats dry food.

Sabin
She looks to be at a normal weight to me.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SNORTLE...You should see Hekitty.  She's on a diet (most of the time...occasionally I cave in after 3-4 hours of non-stop begging/insisting/falling over in a faint) because she looks like a furry soccer ball.  Sabin look positively svelte to me.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the slow update, it has been a very busy week. We gave Pearl away from what we could tell a nice family. We gave them our number in case there are any issues, they said that they would take her to get spayed soon. Hopefully this will be the last time she will be moving around, I'm sure she finds it stressful going to a new home as well. While she was staying with my friend, she seemed to be eating and playing nicely. We took her to the vet to get checked out and she was healthy but a bit dehydrated.

We got our 2 girls spayed last week as well and are going to get their stitches out today.