Newborn Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D dogtahs

Your kittens do not need supplementing. They are doing stunningly well! Even the smallest is over 10 ounces. The goal at 2 weeks is 8 ounces. The 4-week goal is 16 ounces.

Mom's chirping is called trilling, and is how she communicates with her babies. As her kittens grow she will be in and out of the nest more frequently. In another week, so will the kittens! ;)

Everything sounds great! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear, it does seem like they are gaining weight really fast compared to what is usually a normal weight gain. Can't wait for them to start walking around
. Both my wife and I have been resisting the urge to pick the kittens up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are gaining in line with what many healthy kittens gain! Being above the milestone weight is good! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

I began handling my kittens for short periods after they were 3 weeks old. It's also good to sit on the floor and let them crawl on you once they begin toddling out if the nest. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Sabin has started taking a kitten out and left it on the floor to walk to her. She was trilling at it and one of the kitten crawled to her. Seems a bit early from what ive read. Is it ok for us to let her or should we put the kitten back into the nesting box?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would be inclined to put the kitten(s) back in the nest for now. Moms tend to move their kittens around the 3-week mark though. Mine moved hers from the spare bedroom closet nest into my bedroom, where they stayed for several weeks.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is literally moving them just outside the box in a corner and letting them crawl. It was very cute but after a few minutes the kitten decided to nurse outside the box, so we put it back into the nesting box for now. When they are ready to move around, I'm assuming they aren't really going to be staying in a nesting box but more likely roam around in a room? We were thinking of making a big cardboard box for the kittens to roam. Also placing litter boxes in this cardboard box area.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are correct. Once they begin leaving the nest they need a room, or an area of a room as you are suggesting. It's safer that way. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it would be better to kind of enclose them off in this cardboard area that we make for them. Obviously Sabin would be able to get out, we just don't want the kittens to wonder around too much. How likely is it that Sabin would try and move them from the area that we put them. Also my wife noticed one of the kitten started to get their teeth, when should we start weaning them into solid foods? Thank you for your advice as always :).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is that the cardboard area will not contain them for very long. Kittens become agile very quickly!

A spare room is actually better, but it depends how high the cardboard sides are. Mom may try to move them. I used my bedroom until they were weaned and litter trained.

Kittens can be offered mush anytime after 4 weeks old, but many are not ready until they are 5-6 weeks old. Even then, they continue to nurse mom for a few more weeks. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What does it mean when Sabin is starting to wrestle with the kittens?

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is teaching them manners and how to be cats!
Is it normal that she is doing it when the kittens are about 3 weeks old?

On a side note, we got quite a fright when we came home from work today. Sabin took out one of the kittens and we couldn't find it, she placed it behind one of the boxes... luckily the kitten was alright. I'm assuming they are able to regulate heat on their own now. We have no idea how long she was out of the nesting box.

Update on the kittens weight at 20 days.

K1 - 370

K2 - 420

K3 - 379
K4 - 408

They are getting quite active and moving around in the small box, we moved them to a bigger box but Sabin eventually moves them back to the original nesting box.

bluechikin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be specific, Sabin has been grabbing them with her two front paws to twist the kittens around, curl up and kick them with her back legs, bite at their paws and their face, step out of the nest then pounce back inside to "attack", all the while her eyes are diluted. All the while, the kittens sometimes squeak or cry out but most of the time don't make a sound.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know it seems rough, but this is how mom cats teach their kittens manners. I only break it up if it seems much too rough. Moms generally are not actually hurting their kittens.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are doing great, they are 29 days old and they are running around and playing with each other in the spare room.

K1 (Poppy) - 470

K2 (Pickles) - 529

K3 (Panda) - 517

K4 (Pearl) - 520

The other day we noticed that the towel and dog pee pad in the nesting box was wet, we figured one of them did their business in the nesting box, since then we have set up 4 small litter boxes. I've managed to get a few of them using it when I placed them on it. During the day while we are at work, there are signs that they are using it (using wood non clumping pellets). Once a day I'm noticing that one of them is still using the nesting box to pee. The nesting box is currently lined with newspaper, towel and then a dog pee pad in respective orders. Generally when one of them pee it only gets onto the towel. This time a little area of the floor of the box was wet. I have no way of properly cleaning a cardboard box. Is it ok for the kittens to keep using the box as a nesting box, or should I discard the box and hopefully they choose the other boxes in the room.

I know that they should probably start getting weaned soon, we tried the other day mixing MKR and Royal Canin Baby Canned food. None of them really ate it, and a couple of them licked our fingers. When do we know it is time to start and what is the best way to start teaching them.
For the last 4-5 days there have been times where some kittens didn't gain any weight but the next day they all gained 10-20 grams. On average in the last 8 days they have gained 10-15 grams each.
Once again thanks for your advice as always

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On a side note, we have given the kittens the spare room. A couple of them wants to actively leave the room so I currently made a makeshift wall with the pet carrier and brand new litter bags. Only Sabin can leave, it is too early for the kittens to explorer the rest of the house?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their weights are just fantastic! Not quite 4 weeks and all between 16-18 ounces! Yay!

You will find that the kittens will be more ready to wean to solids at 5-6 weeks old. Same with the litter box. Usage gets more consistent in the next 2-3 weeks. I suggest you try the wet mush again in a week.

I would not allow the kittens to explore the rest of the home until they are weaned and litter trained - at least 2 more weeks. When you do, make sure it is kitten-proofed, and be extra careful with recliners.

As for the box, I would say it's okay to continue using it for now. [emoji]128522[/emoji]