New to Cats, trying to save a life

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww this story is just so sweet..I love what you all have done for this adorable kitty....Good to know all is well for kitty. My BF gave me ulitimatums when it came to kitties too..However 3 cats later he is talking about getting a bunny now..Sooooooo maybe she will come around!! Ill keep my fingers crossed....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he's still here. The plan is to have him go with my BIL when he gets his own place. Tiger will join with an 8 year old female that actually looks a lot like Tiger. Hope they get along..
Here are some outside pictures showing his coloring and my curious cat.. Hope you all are having a great day!

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update time... It's overdue
Well, we still have him. Surprised?

My BIL is breaking in his 'old' cat to the new home. She seems to be taking the new digs pretty well, but hesitant. She used to spend a lot of time inside the couch frame. The last time I visited she was on the couch and allowed me to pet and seemed comfortable. We're going to give it another few days to get her settled then bring over Sassy for an introduction. I welcome any suggestions on how this would be best.

The old cat is accustomed to be the dominant cat among the others in the house. She won't take harassment from the other cats and will attack if provoked.

Sassy on the other hand has met at least a couple cats, one in particular sat on him or something and sprayed him good. We had to give him a good bath immediately. I don't know what was more traumatic. A few days later he was being chased by a grey cat which I suspect is either his mother or father. It lives a few houses down we think. He used to love to go outside and roam around the backyard, but now will hardly set foot outside.

I suspect that when we bring him over they won't get near each other. Sassy heading for the furthest corner. As I said, I welcome any suggestions on how to handle this. I don't want either cat to be hurt in this exchange. The good part is that my BIL has had this and other cats for over 20 years. (this one is about 13 or so). He's accustomed to their domination struggles. Last thing. This she cat is also a grey and black tabby, so I'm not sure if Sassy will know it is a different cat or if all cats are out to get him. Yes, I'm worried how this will go. But the best part is I will get to see him every couple days.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dan10101

Update time... It's overdue
Well, we still have him. Surprised?

My BIL is breaking in his 'old' cat to the new home. She seems to be taking the new digs pretty well, but hesitant. She used to spend a lot of time inside the couch frame. The last time I visited she was on the couch and allowed me to pet and seemed comfortable. We're going to give it another few days to get her settled then bring over Sassy for an introduction. I welcome any suggestions on how this would be best.

The old cat is accustomed to be the dominant cat among the others in the house. She won't take harassment from the other cats and will attack if provoked.

Sassy on the other hand has met at least a couple cats, one in particular sat on him or something and sprayed him good. We had to give him a good bath immediately. I don't know what was more traumatic. A few days later he was being chased by a grey cat which I suspect is either his mother or father. It lives a few houses down we think. He used to love to go outside and roam around the backyard, but now will hardly set foot outside.

I suspect that when we bring him over they won't get near each other. Sassy heading for the furthest corner. As I said, I welcome any suggestions on how to handle this. I don't want either cat to be hurt in this exchange. The good part is that my BIL has had this and other cats for over 20 years. (this one is about 13 or so). He's accustomed to their domination struggles. Last thing. This she cat is also a grey and black tabby, so I'm not sure if Sassy will know it is a different cat or if all cats are out to get him. Yes, I'm worried how this will go. But the best part is I will get to see him every couple days.
Dan - I wouldn't just put them together. Intros should go slowly. Tiger/Logan/Sassy and the resident cat(s) should be separated for a couple of days at least with the new guy in a bath or bedroom with food, water, litter, etc. There are sticky threads on this site about intro'ing new and resident animals. Let me see if I can find them.

ETA: ok, couldn't find any stickies about it but here is a link to the Michigan Humane Society with an article about what I just said.
http://www.michiganhumane.org/site/N...s_iv_ctrl=1282

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks AddieBee for the link and suggestions.
I think I found the other one you were looking for.

We're moving slow. I've been over to his place petting his cat and he's been over here with mine. So, I think their getting somewhat used to each others scent. I bought some Feliway wall plugs to try to relieve some of the stress with both Cats.

We have an offer in on a house for my Son. Even though this is the 4th offer and it's real tough around here to buy houses. Some people with megabucks are going around buying a bunch for rentals/investments. Anyway, if it goes thorough, Tiger/Sassy will be going with my son soon. If not, we'll make the transition over to the apartment.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we gave it a try tonight. I brought him over to the apartment. I left him in the carrier for a while to get used to the other cat in the room. Nicky is a great older cat. She was curious but not aggressive. Tiger on the other hand was growling softly most of the time. Hissing occasionally most of the time at no one in particular. After he calmed down I carried him around the house so he could explore a bit. He seemed to be better but very wary he never became comfortable with another cat in the room. Since we didnt really have a solution to separating the two of them, I ended up taking him back home again. We figured since they didnt really have an altercation it might be better to have him calm down a bit before trying again.
I didn't want either cat to get hurt and I felt really uncomfortable leaving him there. My wife wasn't real happy to have him back, but she understood. She thought that's what I was going to do anyway. It was me that loaded up the car with all the cat stuff and then ended up bringing it all back home again.

He's sitting on my lap as I type. All is forgiven, for now.
I really hope this will work, Nicky really seemed to be interested in having a friend.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a dumb question. Can cats talk to each other? Since my cat hasn't grown up with other cats, did he not understand what Nicky was trying to say?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a dumb question. They use sound and body language to communicate. The meow for us, though. Oh, and scent to ID each other.

It is possible that he isnot picking up on Nicky's positive signals ... it may be b/c he was a bottle baby or it may be from his fear and uncertainty of the new place, new animal, smells, sights, sounds, etc. He is also still a baby.

I have a foster right now who has his own room b/c he is afraid of the other cats. I have been trying to desensitize him but he doesn't seem to read the friendly overtures of the nicest, sweetest cats among my fosters who want to interact with him. Unfortunately, some cats are like that.

ETA: I wanted to add that you and everyone involved need to give the situation time.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's a sign that Tiger is supposed to live with *you* - forever

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date. I v. much enjoy hearing the latest on your baby.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so thankful for everyone's help over the past many months. Tiger is doing well. He's still not over to the apartment yet, but it still may happen. They just hiss and growl at each other.
I saw a Cats101 show the other day and he said it was normal for them to do this. As long as it doesn't escallate, then I'll just have to get used to it.

Anyway, Thanks for all your help from Tiger and I.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And a big thank you to you and your family for rescuing this little guy - I think there's a Jewish proverb about saving one life saves the world entire - and you all have done that - making our world a little brighter.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he is currently spending his first night away from home. And, yes, this will always be his home, at least for me. He of course is really pissed. He did spend some time roaming around the apartment. Then he settled down and hung around us growling and hissing. Fortunatly, the older cat took it all in stride. She did hiss and growl a bit, but made no other moves. I tried to convince my brother-in-law to lock him in the bedroom, but he is a cat guy and has had several cats and interactions with other cats. I feel he'll do the right thing, at least I'm praying that he does.

I'm more concerned that this changes the cats personality. His next stop will be my son's house when he finally gets one. (soon we hope). I don't want to turn a psychotic cat on him.

Yes, I'm a big worry wart. He is my baby.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've done such a great thing, I hope you know that. I'm sure it isn't easy to give the little guy up, but he sounds like he's in good hands and that must be reassuring.

Please continue to update us.

Leslie

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope the two will get along. When I introduced my 2 boys, it didn't go all that well even after a slow introduction but in about 3 or 4 days they got along well. Now, I'll find them cuddled up together sleeping on the couch sometimes. I doubt his personality will change. Toby acted sort of distant and aloof for a while after I got Zeke. I guess he was just jealous since he was used to being the only cat. Now he's back to himself again. Even if Tiger doesn't act like it now, he'll probably appreciate the company of another cat.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that he warms up to the mama cat.

I went and visited yesterday and things were much better. Tiger/Sassy seems to be adapting to the new environment. My BIL said that he was sleeping in the bedroom where we setup his bed. We also left his container on the floor with the door off so he would have a 'safe' place to go. He doesn't seem to be cowering from the mama cat and is getting a bit bold at times. When he gets close to her he will hiss and she will hiss back but that's about as far as it goes. She will leave him alone and so far he hasn't done anything stupid to cause an physical encounter.

He actually accepted my picking him up without an attitude which made me feel better. I was thinking he may still be mad at him.

We dug out a couple of toys and put them on the kitchen floor. He spent a good hour playing with them before collapsing. It was great to see him play again.

If they do become friends, or accepting of each other, he may stay there as it gives my BIL a bit more excitement in his day, (which he needs).

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update d+1week

So far no dramatic encounters from either cat. My BIL seems to enjoy the kitten attitude of Sassy as opposed to the 'old cat' attitude of his cat. Sassy will follow him around and explore every inch of the apartment, playing with things along the way. The 2 cats still have stare down hissy fits, but that's about all. I think they have come to realise that they are not threats to each other.

I picked him up when I last went over there and he allowed me to 'mother' him for a while before finally wanting to be let down.

BIL has a small fiber optic christmas tree, Sassy loves it, but hasn't broken anything just yet.

My Son got his house. We're in escrow. Yay!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome news! I'm glad he is settling in his new intermediate home.. Congrats again on raising that cutie pie!