New to Cats, trying to save a life

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Live is much better today than yesterday.

Yesterday about noon, we noticed that Tiger/Sassy/Baby/Mr. Kitty was missing. About the same time we heard one big snarl in the front yard. We realized that my wife had gone out to get the mail and the Cat may have gotten out the front door. He is allowed out the back door to roam the yard, at this point he hasn't tried climbing the fence and going beyond.

Anyway, we think he had his first encounter with another cat, a big black one. My guess is that lit out of there as fast as his little paws could take him. We confirmed he was gone by shaking his treat bag. He never misses a treat. We all walked the neighborhood several times (shaking the treat bag and calling any of the above names). No response by the scaredy kat. We put water and food by both front and back doors and hoped he would come out when the street got quiet.

We kept checking the outside and the neighborhood throughout the evening. As I was going to head to a restless night sleep I made one more check out the front door. I whistled a couple times and heard a mournful meow. My son and girlfriend immediately heard the same through their open window and came running out.

I wasn't sure it was him. I walked to the area where my son saw the eyes looking at him. As I crouched down he snarled at me. About that time my son had a flashlight showing on him and I knew he was ours. I spoke to him softly and he gladly let me pick him up. Our baby was home.

I can't imagine what he went through in that time away from home. I know he was traumatized out in that cruel world, but he seems to recovered and back to normal. Likely he has a new view on the great outdoors. (maybe he liked it?)

Monday he goes under the knife. I doubt he would get anywhere near another cat, but you never know. More trauma and drama to come...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my goodness - you all must have been so scared...what a day Tiger had - he may not have moved from that spot the entire time til he realized his daddy was right there for him.

Hope all is getting back to normal, and that his snip snip goes well....it's never easy waiting to hear back from the vet, even when it's a very standard procedure. Please let us know how everything goes, and again, so very happy Tiger was found safely.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, that's scary!!!
So, what's the kitty's status.... Is the wife in love to be permanent's mommy already? I mean, after yesterday and all?

for tomorrow

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Current status below. Very relaxed and pretending to be a donut. Normal for this time of day.

She's taking him in Monday morning at 9am. They keep him overnight after the procedure. Then we pick him up Tues am. I like that they are watching him for problems. Something we wouldn't be trained for. I think he would be more relaxed if he was home with us. Expecially after yesterday.

My hope this calms him down a bit. He was spastic again today. So at least that's normal. He woke up this morning wanting his head massaged so again things are normal.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the little guy made it home okay! That must have been scary. He looks so cute and cuddly all curled up asleep. Hope things go well Monday.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about if it would be ok to take a nice smelly not washed tee-shirt of yours along with Tiger for his vet visit tomorrow, and maybe a favorite blankie or toy if he has one. If the vet thinks it's ok, maybe they could put the tee-shirt into his recuperation space so he has something familiar with him?

PS - I did this for my Dante when he needed to stay all day for a bladder scan a few years ago - I'm not sure it did much for him but made me feel better. The vet tech said he did curl up right against the shirt, though.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I was just thinking about if it would be ok to take a nice smelly not washed tee-shirt of yours along with Tiger for his vet visit tomorrow, and maybe a favorite blankie or toy if he has one.
Thanks for the suggestion Darlili.
I did just that. I found an unwashed tee shirt and we'll put that in his carrier. I added his stuffed bear that has become a favorite wrestling toy. I agree, it may not help him much, but it's something.

I also split his carrier in half so he can sleep in it tonight. We'll see if that works.

I hope they just clip him and not the full monte...
Do they put an umbrella around his neck? If so I may need a bigger carrier.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Dan, I just read this entire thread from start to now, and I admire you and your family so much! Every time I wanted to reply to something, I had to remind myself that it was months ago that you were going through this.

A few things I wanted to say though:

1.) kittens have a tendency to bite (or chew) because they are teething. It's annoying, but normal and they do grow out of it.

2.) When it comes to litter boxes, DON'T make the stupid mistake I did once and put catnip in the box to try to entice them....Yeah, that was really fun to clean up! Litter thrown all over the floor, and poop all over the cats. Definitely my bad.

3.) If you do keep Tiger (and I hope you do!) you can get cat trees on ebay for very good prices. That might help with the clawing issue, and give Tiger a new place to explore.

He looks like such a sweetie (in a demon kinda way
) and at least if he does have to go to a new home, he will be in the family. Let us know how his surgery went.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did receive a call from the vet saying that everything went well and he's doing fine. My guess is they say that no mater what happened. Hopefully he's snoozing and not scared. Lots of noises to keep him awake, not unlike our visits to the hospital.

I met a couple of the other pet family's in for overnight stays. So he got to meet a couple kitties that we're out to get him. Maybe he'll understand that all his relatives are not bad. There was also the cutest doxie puppy. He was only a couple weeks old. This isn't him but it could be.

as I sit and reflect...
I notice lots of close cousins in The Cat Site family.

Gismo could be a brother, he's so close..
Tiger also resisted the bottle. For a long time we had to feed him using an eye dropper.

Toby - Toby Pouncer great name!
Enjoys racing around the house. Tiger does the same x2. He is especially wild if he's chasing a fly. He usually gets them. He really doesn't have any sight problems.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I should probably start another thread or 10 to cover some of the odd things happening, but I just keep adding to it. So if the moderators want me to change this let me know.

Your comments are applicable, because I hope other that go thru some of these experiences gain from your suggestions.

I still haven't tried catnip. Anything that makes him more hyper wouldn't be a good thing. Someday, maybe I'll do it after he moves in with my son or BIL.

I do have a homemade cat tree that he likes. I'll post a picture...

Thanks!
Dan

Originally Posted by calico2222

Awww Dan, I just read this entire thread from start to now, and I admire you and your family so much! Every time I wanted to reply to something, I had to remind myself that it was months ago that you were going through this.

A few things I wanted to say though:

1.) kittens have a tendency to bite (or chew) because they are teething. It's annoying, but normal and they do grow out of it.

2.) When it comes to litter boxes, DON'T make the stupid mistake I did once and put catnip in the box to try to entice them....Yeah, that was really fun to clean up! Litter thrown all over the floor, and poop all over the cats. Definitely my bad.

3.) If you do keep Tiger (and I hope you do!) you can get cat trees on ebay for very good prices. That might help with the clawing issue, and give Tiger a new place to explore.

He looks like such a sweetie (in a demon kinda way
) and at least if he does have to go to a new home, he will be in the family. Let us know how his surgery went.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Homemade Cat tree - I add a couple dangley things to it to get his attention.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Just hoping all went well today at the vet.
I did leave the t-shirt and bear with the Vet to put in his cage. I hope it helps.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Great cat tree! Looks like he loves it!!
He does have fun with it. I tied a YoYo under the middle, that's what he's batting with his paw.

It's strong enough for me to stand on, I don't think he'll hurt it. When he moves, I'm going to add to it and get it tall enough for him to see out the window.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great cat tree!!! He does look like he loves it!

I've read that young cats don't always respond to catnip, and about a third of adults don't care for it either - apparently it's a genetic thing.

And, while I'm sure vets do try to reassure nervous parents, in my limited experience they do mention if anything's 'funny' - like my boy is rather 'feisty' coming out of anesthetic....I was definitely told that over the phone!

I bet you're anxious to get him and make sure he's really fine - I think we all are. I get anxious just when they take them in back to get a blood or urine draw!

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're back. He seems fine.
The nurse did say he was 'mad' and didn't want to go back in the carrier. I have enough problems getting him in the carrier when he's happy.
Thanks for all the well wishes. We'll be keeping an eye on him for a few days.
Dan

PS, He's playing with the cat tree and the yoyo...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The funny part about the carrier is that most cats do not care to go into the carrier at all while at home (although I've had luck by putting a bit of turkey or chicken in the carrier, and then zipping up really really fast!). But, normally, it's hysterical to watch the cat race back into the carrier after the vet's exam - or refuse to come out to meet the vet - after all the hassle at home. But, my little Dharma, all 7 pounds of her, absolutely refused to go into her carrier after waking up from her dental. The staff asked if I wanted to try to coax her back in - but, after hearing the first growl I ever heard from her - and so loud too! - I graciously offered to let the staff try to herd her back in - they had the great big barbecue gloves on anyway!

But glad to hear he's up and playing - and I bet you feel a lot more relaxed yourself.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's defiantly feeling no pain. Earlier he was up on the top of the refrigerator. I had to approach slowly to make sure he didn't jump to the floor. He knows he's not supposed to be on the counters much less the refrigerator. Right now he's snoozing on my desk. He does seem a bit more 'cuddly', seems to want to stay close to me, let me hold him longer than normal. Sure beats chasing him around the house... Now if I could get him to do that with Mom maybe he'll be around longer. (she's given me a week...) I'll miss her.