New to Cats, trying to save a life

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is just adorable!! You've done such an excellent job of raising him.

When my girl was younger and in the biting stage, I'd hiss at her, much like a momma kitty would, push into her mouth, and say no. The hissing would get her attention, the pushing into her mouth (not down her throat, but pushing against her) caught her off-guard, then telling her NO! was training her that the behavior was inappropriate.

Here's hoping you don't find someone to adopt him!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he scratching you or the furniture or both? I bought a no-scratch spray at Petsmart to try b/c my fosters LOOOOOOVE my livingroom chairs. So far it's working like a dream!

As for hands - try not to play with him with your hands. You can put a bitter spray on them so it tastes yucky. Also hiss or blow a puff of air in his face and say no firmly. Withdraw for a minute and don't play. If he has your hand in a death grip this also works, along with shoving your hand or foot TOWARDS HIM. Don't struggle or try to pull away. That is play AND PREY behavior and will cause him to tighten his hold on you.

As with raising any baby - you need to be consistent. Also keep trimming his claws... that will help with the ouch factor. The younger he is when you start, the easier it will be over time.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't checked this thread for a while, but I'm happy to see how well Tiger is doing! He's such a handsome tabby boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't keep up with all your posts. if I don't respond its not because I don't appreciate all your suggestions and comments. I really do.
His biting is always in play, but it needs to stop if nothing else than for the sake of my skin.
We're on the patio near where he was born. we've come a long way. He's exploring, I'm sitting.
His colors are developing. I'll try to snap a picture.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, for you who have wondered who I was, here is a pict of baby and me. He was squirming all over the place, so I had my son take the pictures.

Click on the link in the signature to see more in photobucket.

There's a great picture of him playing in a box, after a while he just fell asleep laying in the box.

We wore him out again. He's sleeping on my lap.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a classic grey (blue)tabby with green eyes!!!! What a handsome boy! And you have a kind face and obvously a kind heart!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your wife is a lucky woman - a handsome guy and a beautiful kitty at home. I cannot believe he's gotten so big - and look at that tail! He really does look very healthy and happy - you all did God's work with him.

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
best. thread. ever!
i read avidly from start to end.
held my breath until it was clear Tiger would make it.
bless you and your family, dan!

awesome quote where your wife said you could keep him if he learned how to high five, so you'd be rich & you said if you kept tiger "you'd be rich anyway"

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad has provided some story value to those who read it. It certainly means a lot to me, because I really was 'new to cats' and didn't know what the heck I was doing.

"wife is a lucky woman" - I keep telling her she is. I think she believes me.

The stripes on his body really just came in the last 2 weeks or so. I imagine they will get whiter as days progress. Eyes are green, like mine

My wife may be giving in very slightly. She checked several places and no one is taking kittens/cats. They all have plenty. There are 50+ in craigslist in our area.

In the meantime I'm going to try another cat litter. I thing the scented type may be causing an odor. It's really wierd, sometimes the room has an ordor, other times it doesn't. It doesn't seem to be from the litter box, but it probably is. I have to buy a bigger box too, he can barely turn around in this one we have now and it bugs him.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Esme

awesome quote where your wife said you could keep him if he learned how to high five, so you'd be rich & you said if you kept tiger "you'd be rich anyway"
I don't have to tell anyone here the value of pets. We lost a Dachshund a couple years ago, I've been trying to get another one, she didn't want to go thru that again even though she loved her a lot. Tiger is my Rosie.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got home from the store. Bought him a larger litter box. He loves it. Has been in it ever since I put it on the floor. Right now he's getting ready to fall asleep (in it). At least he can turn around in this one. Also going to try "Special Kitty" cat litter to see if that's any better. I hope so, I bought the big box...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks like he has a bit of the devil in him, and he clearly loves you. Keep in mind that he is the equivalent of a child, with the same curiosities, the necessity to try everything out, taste everything, etc.

We've always said a house without a cat is not a home, just four walls and unscratched furniture.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that many cats like unscented litter the best...my boy is a problem child, so I'm using Dr. Elsey CatAttract litter (he's got a whole line, under Precious Cat). I've got to admit I'd probably still use this litter - to me it seems to clump really well, and has an attractive 'scent' from the attracting herbs even to me.

You know, I've actually returned litter (the unused portion in the bag) to Petsmart when my kitties didn't care for a certain type....just hung on to the receipt.

And, now I'm wondering if you wife simply, and understandably, is a little afraid to give her heart away again and that's why she's looking for another home....it's a tough fear to conquer. And she's probably trying to shield you from that pain to come as well.... but the love in between can be so worth it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I've read that many cats like unscented litter the best...my boy is a problem child, so I'm using Dr. Elsey CatAttract litter (he's got a whole line, under Precious Cat). I've got to admit I'd probably still use this litter - to me it seems to clump really well, and has an attractive 'scent' from the attracting herbs even to me.

You know, I've actually returned litter (the unused portion in the bag) to Petsmart when my kitties didn't care for a certain type....just hung on to the receipt.

And, now I'm wondering if you wife simply, and understandably, is a little afraid to give her heart away again and that's why she's looking for another home....it's a tough fear to conquer. And she's probably trying to shield you from that pain to come as well.... but the love in between can be so worth it.
Amen to that.

Special Kitty litter is Walmart's brand right? I use that. It's good. I also like an additive that really helps with the smell, at least from the human's standpoint. Fresh Step Lavender Valley - sprinkle a little in.... a little goes a long way.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His problem isn't using the litter box. He has that down pat. Even a bit excessive at times.

Yes, I got it at Walmart. Didn't know it was their brand. So far it's just a bit too fine. Causes a bit of dust and paw prints. We'll give it chance to see if it cures the odor problems.

He has a new name. "Mr Kitty" anyone under 20 should know this one...

So now we have: Tiger, Sassy, Kitty, Comere, Logan, Hey You, "Cat!", "Get Down!" and "Mr Kitty". The feline doesn't know who he is, or probably care...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, the closer litter feels to sandy dirt, the happier most cats will be. Yeah, they spread it around. There are automatic litter boxes that help some, but cat litter just comes with the cat, like pooper scoopers with dogs.

Or diaper bags and pails for babies, for that matter.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, why is that? Why can't dogs learn to use a box, or cats learn to go outside?

Has anyone ever setup the box outside? We have a nice covered patio that might work. Tiger usually spends an hour or so each day in the backyard anyway.

Sure would make Mom happy not to have the box in my office. (me too)

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats and they wouldn't have known what a litter box was if you put it in front of them. They just went to the door and let us know they needed out.

"An hour or so outside" is good for the kitty as well as playing time is concerned, but in my experience, (my current cats use litter boxes) they go at all hours of the day and night and you would run the risk of him having indoor accidents if he couldn't get out to go.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about that regularity - my two seem to have fairly regular hours, but it's not that regular - and poo and pee seem to be separate 'go' times. I do know Dharma likes to pee around 2;00 in the morning, because she seems to want me to wake up and see what a good girl she was!