Name three things - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. Annual dental visit finished at noon. A small chip filled in & cleaning. Hooray!
  2. Waiting for a call back from cathedral. They need Xmas trees decorated on Thursday. Don't know what is involved, but want to join in.
  3. First snow this a.m., but insignificant.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to stop at the Amish farm this morning to check out their baskets.

Rick and his sister are meeting with their mother this afternoon; it's a financial meeting to determine if she should go into a double room or stay in a single room at her assisted living facility.
It doesn't bother you that the Amish frequently neglect their animals? Personally, I would never buy anything from them, but that's just me.

Would your MIL have to have a roommate if she's in a double room. Is that the issue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't bother you that the Amish frequently neglect their animals? Personally, I would never buy anything from them, but that's just me.

Would your MIL have to have a roommate if she's in a double room. Is that the issue?
Yes, it does bother us. But many of the Amish in our neighborhood care greatly for their animals; they're not just machines to them. Unfortunately, that's not true of all the Amish/Mennonites around here; I've seen some things that I can't un-see and wish I could. Pennsylvania is known for puppy mills, too, and many (but not all) of them are run by Plain Sect people. Like I said, the people right around here, I can pretty much vouch for. I know them, we see them going up and down the roads (we see how they drive their animals), we buy from them, and I work with them in my job as a planner. Chicken barns, hog barns, I know who's doing what  and I work closely with them. I'm on their property and I see things. Most of them are good people. Just like us, there are good and bad and you can't judge everybody because of a few idiots. That's my take anyway.

Yes, my MIL would have to have a roommate and she's not amused about that. We think she'll be ok yet for 2017, barring any serious falls that might put her in a nursing home, in which case, all bets are off. But she has enough money to see her through for at least a couple of years anyway. She's 95 years old.
  • Did the breakfast thing for the furkids, made the bed, grabbed my shower
  • Put gas into Hannah on my way into work this morning. She was down to about 40 miles and I don't like to get that low in the winter.
  • Checked online for some packages that are due to come in later on this week; I have everything mailed to work, but it's still nice to know what's coming and when. I have two packages coming yet and then, that should be it.
  • Must go to my MIL's during my lunch today. I have clementines and some crackers for her. Not walking over because of my toe; I'll bite the bullet and drive. (On Sunday, when Rick and his sister were over, he had taken some banana bread that I had made Sunday morning; she called me yesterday and asked if I had more bread. I said that I had given the rest of it to my sister and BIL. I don't think she was real happy with me. I told her I plan on making some cookies on Thursday night, so if that worked out, I'd make sure she had cookies on Friday. She has a serious sweet tooth! 
     Not hard to see where Rick gets his sweet tooth, that's for sure.)
  • Scoop boxes tonight
  • Do a quick vacuum about the house

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh crap. 
 I specifically wanted to put two pounds of butter into the microwave to soften before I left for work this morning. And forgot to do it. Hopefully I'll remember to get it out as soon as I get home from work or I won't be making cookie dough tonight.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, made the bed, scooped boxes, sorted laundry, grabbed my shower
  • Three loads of laundry to do tonight
  • Trash night
  • I'd like to get cookie dough made tonight and put into the fridge so I can bake cookies Thursday night while Rick is bowling (snickerdoodles, chocolate chip, white chip and macadamia nut, and peanut butter-chocolate chunkers). I also found a recipe for a pinwheel cookie on King Arthur's website that would look pretty....I could make the dough, roll it up, and chill for tomorrow night, too.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it does bother us. But many of the Amish in our neighborhood care greatly for their animals; they're not just machines to them. Unfortunately, that's not true of all the Amish/Mennonites around here; I've seen some things that I can't un-see and wish I could. Pennsylvania is known for puppy mills, too, and many (but not all) of them are run by Plain Sect people. Like I said, the people right around here, I can pretty much vouch for. I know them, we see them going up and down the roads (we see how they drive their animals), we buy from them, and I work with them in my job as a planner. Chicken barns, hog barns, I know who's doing what  and I work closely with them. I'm on their property and I see things. Most of them are good people. Just like us, there are good and bad and you can't judge everybody because of a few idiots. That's my take anyway.

Yes, my MIL would have to have a roommate and she's not amused about that. We think she'll be ok yet for 2017, barring any serious falls that might put her in a nursing home, in which case, all bets are off. But she has enough money to see her through for at least a couple of years anyway. She's 95 years old.
Pam, good reply. Some people get upset if you criticize these folks. I know PA has puppy mills because I financially support Main Line Animal Rescue in PA.

My idea of hell would be a room mate in your MIL's situation.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. First physical therapy this a.m. Therapist said my range of movement is surprisingly good for someone who broke her wrist 8 weeks ago. Got home exercises to do 3X a day. Somewhat painful, but I have to do them. Go back next week.
  2. Had breakfast at UConn Medical Center cafeteria. Place was full of construction guys since UConn is constantly expanding. Much amused to see one of the construction guys very upset because he couldn't find the cookies to go with his lunch!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
- I may have finished my Christmas shopping today. I have to go over everything tomorrow.
- straightened up a bit around here
- picked up bagels at the bagel place.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
- go through my Christmas list and go over what I have bought to see if I am done. :cross:
- walk or use the exercise bike
- laundry

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Long week. At least it seems like it. And it's only Thursday!

No baking tonight. We had to run down to Target last night to pick up prescriptions and I completely forgot about getting the butter out of the fridge. I'm going to wait til Saturday now. Get the butter out in the morning, make the cookie dough batches on Saturday night and stick them in the fridge, and then spend Sunday in the kitchen. I need to feed my sourdough starter anyway on Sunday, so am thinking of making more of that sourdough bread; it was so good. I'm thinking it would make great croutons, too.
  • Breakfast for the kids, made the bed, scooped the boxes, grabbed my shower
  • A quick vacuum about the house tonight
And I think that will be it. Unless I decide to do a bit of shopping while Dear Richard is bowling. I'll see how lazy I feel.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have several pieces of ironing to do. I bought a dress off E Bay that I love, but I think I am going to shorten it some. I need to go to Wal Mart and buy something there that my husband wants for Christmas.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today's 'stuff' took the better part of my day to get done, but done they are now! i got the dishes washed, wood stove going, litter boxes scooped, and then moved on to working on my budget for a good hour and a half plus, placed an order from Chewy, and then checked the weather forecast and came on over here to TCS to relax for a while......

i'll be adding more wood to the wood stove soon, then will watch a tv show or two, possibly a movie until it's time to make the cats dinners and then have my dinner.

a couple days ago i watched the movie Philomena, starring Judi Dench -- i really enjoyed that movie! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
a couple days ago i watched the movie Philomena, starring Judi Dench -- i really enjoyed that movie! 
I really like Judi Dench....we used to watch As Time Goes By on PBS at night. That and Keeping Up Appearances (with Hyacinth Bucket.....pronounced Bouquet 
 ) The two shows were on every weeknight, starting at 11:00. Loved them both.
  • Run errands tonight: Target, Lowes, etc.
  • Run in to see Rick's mom. She fell in the bathroom last night and ended up in the ER. A few stitches on the front of her face, right below her eye and a swollen left hand. Rick's sister texted me about it this morning.
And that's pretty much it. I'm planning on an early night (and that's a sign that I'm getting old!)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a couple days ago i watched the movie Philomena, starring Judi Dench -- i really enjoyed that movie!  :)
Very dark subject, but an excellent movie.

1. Cold today with a strong wind. Put my head down & did my daily walk as quickly as I could.
  2. Our outdoor cat Pixie came inside last night for the first time since last winter. She will only go as far as the top of the basement steps, but she is very happy to be inside. Husband adores her so he's always happy when she will come in, at least for the night. We've had her so long we don't even know how old she is.
  3. Physical therapy exercises are uncomfortable, but I can feel the difference already.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Remembered to get two pounds of butter out of the fridge and into the microwave. Til we're done running errands today, it should be softened enough that I can make a bunch of batches of cookie dough and get it all in the fridge for tomorrow's baking.
  • Breakfast for the kids, scooped the boxes, made the bed, emptied the dishwasher, etc.
  • Errands: banking, put some gas into Hannah and/or Clarence. We're taking a bit of fast-food lunch into Rick's mom today. I called into the facility yesterday to tell them she wouldn't be having lunch in the dining room, but she doesn't know. We're going to surprise her. She's feeling really down since she fell the other night.
  • After I get the cookie doughs done, I'll do a quick vacuum about the house (unless I can talk Rick into it; we'll see how things go)
  • I still don't have the kitchen completely decorated; boogering up my toe last weekend kind of messed things up a bit, so I need to finish that this afternoon.
  • Might do a couple loads of laundry today, so I'm not stuck with all of it tomorrow. 

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really like Judi Dench....we used to watch As Time Goes By on PBS at night. That and Keeping Up Appearances (with Hyacinth Bucket.....pronounced Bouquet 
 ) The two shows were on every weeknight, starting at 11:00. Loved them both.
  • Run errands tonight: Target, Lowes, etc.
  • Run in to see Rick's mom. She fell in the bathroom last night and ended up in the ER. A few stitches on the front of her face, right below her eye and a swollen left hand. Rick's sister texted me about it this morning.
And that's pretty much it. I'm planning on an early night (and that's a sign that I'm getting old!)
yes, Judi Dench is a very good actress!
Very dark subject, but an excellent movie.

1. Cold today with a strong wind. Put my head down & did my daily walk as quickly as I could.
  2. Our outdoor cat Pixie came inside last night for the first time since last winter. She will only go as far as the top of the basement steps, but she is very happy to be inside. Husband adores her so he's always happy when she will come in, at least for the night. We've had her so long we don't even know how old she is.
  3. Physical therapy exercises are uncomfortable, but I can feel the difference already.
i agree, a very dark subject and an excellent movie.

today i got the dishes washed, the litter boxes scooped, and the wood stove going. then i sat down and caught up on The Blacklist.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Going to be a busy day today....time to do some Christmas baking!
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, changed the bed sheets, 3 miles on the treadmill (surprisingly my foot doesn't feel too badly with that toe; it was uncomfortable, but not overly painful. I needed to get moving again).
  • Rick said he'd do the litter boxes when he gets back up again
  • My cookie doughs are in the fridge and ready for baking. Chocolate chip, white chip and macadamia nut cookies, peanut butter-chocolate chunkers, and a double batch of snickerdoodles (half of the snicks will go to my niece). Going to start baking when the laundry is almost finished, so I'm not trying to hassle with both things at the same time.
  • Just threw my third load of laundry in the washer.
  • Must vacuum today (got busy with other stuff yesterday and didn't get it done)
  • Manicure tonight (as much as I love China Glaze nail polish, it does not stay on well. It starts to chip and peel quickly and that's even with a top coat.)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's been a nice quiet day here......
  both girls got their first year's vaccinations on tuesday, then one has been having some definite gastro upsets -- either a reaction to the vaccine(s), or a reaction to the stress of the trip to/back from and the vet visit. i finally figured out which girl was having the gastro upset -- i'd been giving both pepcid and easy to digest food. it's our punky, who's a sensitive kitty -- and has herpes. the good news is that our punky had no pudding consistency poop in the last 36 hours, is eating well (though mostly on jar baby food, am just starting to transition over to canned cat food -- pureed canned cat food, to start off), and is active and running/playing.

today i pureed two cans of cat food in the food processor, washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, got the wood stove going, printed some things -- including a couple icebox cookies recipes and an oatmeal scotchies recipe. then i watched a movie. i've just got to move a couple zipper bags of mozzarella cheese shred to the fridge to thaw before bed -- i'll be making a pizza tomorrow.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Cookies are baked and in the freezer, except for the ones I brought into work and the ones I'm taking over to Rick's mom. That was a long day, but, at least, those are done. And that may be it for cookies....I'm tired of eating cookies throughout the season and then gaining weight.

Awakened with half a headache this morning. PennDOT went by this morning about 1:30, plowing and salting (we had snow, sleet, and freezing rain, starting Sunday morning and continuing pretty much all day with the snow showers and squalls). That woke me up and then Muffin became extra-needy, wanting some cuddling. I pulled her tight against me, wrapped the blankets around her, wrapped my arm around her and she calmed down. She finally purred herself (and me!) back to sleep around 2:30.

My thanks to Dear Richard, who, when I started whining and snotting around about having to clean my car from the ice, cleaned my car after cleaning his truck off. So all I had to do was start the car and let it run for about five minutes and I was ready to go. (And, since Hannah has a remote control starter, I could stand in the kitchen and start the car without having to go outside. I love that remote starter. I forget how much I paid to have that installed in the car, but it was worth every single penny.)
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, grabbed my shower, pulled The Beast out of the litter box in the living room
  • Must order the crown roast of pork and the white coconut cake this morning. (Turns out we are celebrating Christmas with our kids on Monday, Dec 26 this year)
  • I'm either going to walk over to Rick's mom or I'm going to have to drive...I have cookies for her
  • Planning Commission after work. My part should take five minutes; I just need to request a time extension for a client. And then I'm done and outta there!
  • Groceries tonight and I didn't even get a list done yet. I'm going to have to work on that during sometime today.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. Snow overnight & early this morning. The EXACT opposite of what The NY Times forecast. Idiots!
  2. Cold blah day though was glad snow had melted by the time I took my daily walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.