Name three things - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Back to work for both Rick and me today. It's going to be hard for Rick, I think.
  • Normal breakfast routine (doing their meals really hurt the first time after Boo died because there were only five plates instead of six and I'm trying to figure out how to divvy up that last third of a can. The dumbest things can really set me off). I'm OK now. 3.5 miles on the treadmill, while Rick emptied the dishwasher out. Scooped boxes, grabbed my shower (had to get out of the shower to break up a yell/snort-fest between Molli and Muffin), and here I am.
  • I need to run a few errands during lunch today. FWIW, I tried that new neck and chest lotion from Gold Bond and I really like it. I've noticed a difference.
  • Grocery night tonight; I didn't go last week and so the list is longer than normal. Things hat aren't normally on the list. Must stock up a bit on canned cat food for the clan and some Pedigree dog treats for The Beast.
  • Tonight is an exercise night and I need to get back on track..

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Back to work for both Rick and me today. It's going to be hard for Rick, I think.

• Normal breakfast routine (doing their meals really hurt the first time after Boo died because there were only five plates instead of six and I'm trying to figure out how to divvy up that last third of a can. The dumbest things can really set me off). I'm OK now. 3.5 miles on the treadmill, while Rick emptied the dishwasher out. Scooped boxes, grabbed my shower (had to get out of the shower to break up a yell/snort-fest between Molli and Muffin), and here I am.
  • I need to run a few errands during lunch today. FWIW, I tried that new neck and chest lotion from Gold Bond and I really like it. I've noticed a difference.
  • Grocery night tonight; I didn't go last week and so the list is longer than normal. Things hat aren't normally on the list. Must stock up a bit on canned cat food for the clan and some Pedigree dog treats for The Beast.
  • Tonight is an exercise night and I need to get back on track..

Winchester Winchester I want to hear more about the neck and chest lotion. Please. :nod:

I want to cook a couple pecans pies. A friend gave us a bushel of different kinds of sweet potatoes he dug and I want to repay him with a pie.
A church member died and I want to take a pied along with some other food over to the house for her children who are there.

I need to go by Wal Mart and look for a couple doo dads there.

I want to watch the Presidential debate on TV this evening so I am trying to catch up on lots of other things before time for that.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester I want to hear more about the neck and chest lotion. Please.

I want to cook a couple pecans pies. A friend gave us a bushel of different kinds of sweet potatoes he dug and I want to repay him with a pie.
A church member died and I want to take a pied along with some other food over to the house for her children who are there.

I need to go by Wal Mart and look for a couple doo dads there.

I want to watch the Presidential debate on TV this evening so I am trying to catch up on lots of other things before time for that.
It's called Gold Bond Ultimate Neck and Chest Firming Cream and it comes in a tube, not a bottle. It's about $10, give or take. I use it twice a day, morning and night, on my neck and my chest. I like it and I think it's working, although that could be just wishful thinking on my part. There is no odor and it's not greasy. You could probably find it at WalMart.

BTW, Rick loves a good pecan pie; he also likes a chocolate pecan pie. 

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

• Normal breakfast routine (doing their meals really hurt the first time after Boo died because there were only five plates instead of six and I'm trying to figure out how to divvy up that last third of a can. The dumbest things can really set me off).

• When my Harry died, the following morning was devastating. Only 2 cats to feed & it was so quiet without him "screaming" for his brekkies.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
When my Harry died, the following morning was devastating. Only 2 cats to feed & it was so quiet without him "screaming" for his brekkies.
I know.
 That's another thing. BooBoo was one of the "Hey! Get out of bed! I want breakfast! NOW!" yellers. Now it's just Ms. Pepe doing the yelling. Amber does a lot of muttering, but not outright yelling.

This morning:
  • I fed the kids, Rick took Jackie out for her first pee and then emptied the dishwasher, while I hit the treadmill for 2 miles (hoping to do another 2 miles during lunch today). Made the bed, grabbed a quick shower.
  • Rick has a doctor's appt at 4; I have a hair appt at 5. When we went for groceries last night, I saw that King Arthur flour is on sale at $2.79. I may stop at the store after my hair appt and buy 10 bags. That's cheaper than what I can buy it at the King Arthur store (there it's 2/$6) and I can always throw two bags into one 2-gallon ziploc and toss them all into the freezer. That's really a good buy and it would see me through my holiday baking with some to spare, not that I plan on doing a lot of holiday baking this year.
  • Scoop the boxes and some general clean-up. Although since I only did 2 miles this morning, I had some free time to kill and I used it to put things away, tidy up the kitchen and bathroom a bit, etc.
And I think that will be it for the night.

I forgot my breakfast and lunch today. 

And I also forgot my scrunchie to tie my hair back when I walk. 
 I am so tired of forgetting things. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Lots to do today!

- I've already been out to run some errands
- packing
- laundry

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Remember I mentioned the flour on sale at our local grocery store? Well, on my way to my hair appt last night, I stopped in and bought 10 bags of flour. When I got home, I put two bags into a 2-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and then stuck them all in the freezer. I should have enough flour to see me through for months, including any holiday baking that I do. 

There was a gentleman behind me at checkout. He was watching as I put the flour on the belt.

And the conversation went like this:

He said to me, "What's your specialty?"

"Excuse me?"

"Ten bags of flour; you must be a baker. What do you bake?"

"Oh! I bake cookies."

"Really? Will you marry me?"

Now, the clerk knows Rick and me because we're there all the time. And it is really rare when it's just one us because we're usually there together. She looked at the guy, then looked at me, and said, "You'd better tell him you're already married, Pam." And I said, "Yes, I am married and have been for almost 45 years." The guy said, "Lucky man."  I said, "Well, I'll make sure he knows that." And the guy said, "He probably already does." And at that point, I left! 

So today:
  • Normal breakfast stuff, 2 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, scooped, etc.
  • Walk out to the natural food store during lunch today for cashews for Rick to take on our trip (You know, I never baked cookies this time. We always have a stash of cookies for road trips and I never got them baked this time and I don't have time to do any at this point. Rick said it was fine and not to worry. But I still feel badly about it.)
  • Two loads of laundry tonight
  • Trash night, so clean out the litter boxes
I made my Penzey list, but still need to work on my wishlist for King Arthur, although I don't think I'll want all that much. 

ETA: I remembered my lunch today! 

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Remember I mentioned the flour on sale at our local grocery store? Well, on my way to my hair appt last night, I stopped in and bought 10 bags of flour. When I got home, I put two bags into a 2-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and then stuck them all in the freezer. I should have enough flour to see me through for months, including any holiday baking that I do. 

There was a gentleman behind me at checkout. He was watching as I put the flour on the belt.

And the conversation went like this:

He said to me, "What's your specialty?"

"Excuse me?"

"Ten bags of flour; you must be a baker. What do you bake?"

"Oh! I bake cookies."

"Really? Will you marry me?"

Now, the clerk knows Rick and me because we're there all the time. And it is really rare when it's just one us because we're usually there together. She looked at the guy, then looked at me, and said, "You'd better tell him you're already married, Pam." And I said, "Yes, I am married and have been for almost 45 years." The guy said, "Lucky man."  I said, "Well, I'll make sure he knows that." And the guy said, "He probably already does." And at that point, I left! 

So today:
  • Normal breakfast stuff, 2 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, scooped, etc.
  • Walk out to the natural food store during lunch today for cashews for Rick to take on our trip (You know, I never baked cookies this time. We always have a stash of cookies for road trips and I never got them baked this time and I don't have time to do any at this point. Rick said it was fine and not to worry. But I still feel badly about it.)
  • Two loads of laundry tonight
  • Trash night, so clean out the litter boxes
I made my Penzey list, but still need to work on my wishlist for King Arthur, although I don't think I'll want all that much. 

ETA: I remembered my lunch today! 

Was he at least good looking? 

If you're going to place an order with Penzey's on or before 10/2, you can get some freebies with the following codes and a minimum $5 order.  The email I got says that you can use both. 

12957C will get you a 1/2 cup jar of Penzey's curry

43753C will get you a 1/2 cup jar of Penzey's garlic shoots (brand new item)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Was he at least good looking? 

If you're going to place an order with Penzey's on or before 10/2, you can get some freebies with the following codes and a minimum $5 order.  The email I got says that you can use both. 

12957C will get you a 1/2 cup jar of Penzey's curry

43753C will get you a 1/2 cup jar of Penzey's garlic shoots (brand new item)
He wasn't too bad really. Way too young for me, I'm sure. 
 He probably had thoughts about his grandmother or something and all the cookies she made for him when he was younger. 

Thanks for the Penzey info! We will be stopping in on Sunday, so that will work. Cool! Garlic shoots, that is interesting. And my order will be a little over $50, so I can use both of them. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Penzy's is awesome!! I love their blends, and all their spices.. The Northwest blend is great-a tiny bit of a kick..

Their Herbs de Provence is the best I have ever had. 

I also like the Krakow nights blend.

The last couple of months they were stating that Vanilla was in a short supply worldwide. They had to raise their price on Vanilla, so do not be surprised when you see it..

They now have a dehydrated roasted garlic!! yum...

I go to the store once a year. It is on my way to the Oreck Vacuum store (yearly tune up on my vacuum)..

I am like a kid in a candy store...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Holy crap! I just went to their site and 4 ounces of double-strength vanilla is almost $25! Wow, that really did go up in price! 
 Not that it's any consolation, but I just got the new King Arthur catalog and their vanilla really increased, too; 32 ounces of their vanilla costs almost $65. Wow.

@Artiemom  , I won't buy vanilla there this year. I'm going to buy vanilla beans from eBay and then make my own. I think I have enough of their double-strength vanilla to see me through Christmas baking because I don't plan on doing much holiday baking this year (but you know how that goes). So I'm going to order some vanilla beans, buy a fifth of bourbon and a fifth of Grey Goose vodka and make my own. I can start using that in about six months.....that's how long I let it set til it's done to suit me. And about every 2-3 weeks or so, I go in and turn the bottle a couple times, just to keep it moving a bit. I don't shake, just turn it horizontally, then put it back in the cupboard.

The bourbon vanilla is just wonderful in coffee cakes, pound cakes, and the like. I use the vodka vanilla in cookies, for the most part, and in Amish vanilla pie. Although the two are pretty much interchangeable. (And sometimes? I just take the bottle out of the cupboard, take the top off, and take a big sniff! 
 ) And two fifths of vanilla will see me through for quite a while.

I am a paprika fan, because of all our barbecuing and smoking, so I keep all three of Penzey's paprikas around; I like Hungarian sweet over California sweet. I also like their dried oriental mustard for my crock pot baked beans. I am a fan of Northwoods seasoning, too, especially for pork roasts. I only use their cumin in vegetarian chili. And I use ancho chili peppers, chopped, in my regular chili.  I use Forward on roasted potatoes and on thick slices of homemade buttered bread (sometimes I sprinkle with shredded cheese, too) and then wrap them in foil and warm them in the oven. You can't go wrong with any of Penzey's peppercorns...I keep the Tellicherry peppercorns on hand all the time, but I also really like their extra bold Indian peppercorns. 

I also like many of the recipes that you can find in their catalog.

The first thing I do when I walk into Penzey is take a deep breath. All those scents from the herbs and spices are just wonderful. 

I love that place!

We have two stores in Pennsylvania: one in the Philadelphia area and one in PIttsburgh. Because we usually end up in Connecticut once a year, we'll head to Hartford to the Penzey there. I have been to the Pittsburgh store, but, geez, getting there is a nightmare in itself. It's right in the city. 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I do it to help keep it better sealed, which keeps it fresher longer.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do it to help keep it better sealed, which keeps it fresher longer.
i store my flours in my spare (old) fridge, and in gallon zipper bags. part of the reason i do this is to break up the 50lb bags i buy the various flours in, into manageable packages. i store a couple gallon bags each of A.P., bread, and 7-grain bread flours in my kitchen fridge -- for easy access.

today ended up being relatively busy, though productive too. i made a bunch of phone calls, answered a couple phone calls, sent and replied to some emails, and washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, and laid the fire in the wood stove -- for this evening, to warm it up well before heading off to bed and so that warmth will get us through until it starts warming up tomorrow morning. i did watch a couple episodes of the tv show Agent X this afternoon. i'll have to see if i'm not totally worn out after i have my dinner, but i'd like to do some reading.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Breakfast for the furkids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning, made the bed, grabbed my shower
  • Must run to the grocery store for road trip food during lunch
  • Last-minute laundry, take Jackie to the kennel, pick up Boo's ashes, packing
  • General straightening-up throughout the house, maybe a quick vacuum, scoop

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  • Feed cats Breakfast
  • Drove to work
  • Go to the gym later and do some cardio
  • Take a shower and get some rest

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  1. I have one load of laundry almost done and one more to do plus one sweater to hand wash.
  2. Schedule fall HVAC service. I haven't had it done in a few years
  3. Maybe ome yoga.

Status
Not open for further replies.