Name three things - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Today is Wednesday, so we're halfway through the work week. 
 It's a long week.
  • Trash night, so clean out the litterboxes
  • I have two loads of laundry separated on the floor back in the hallway
  • A quick vacuum about the living room and kitchen
MickNsnicks2mom, I do that, too, sometimes when I'm baking and need buttermilk and don't have any on hand. I don't buy a lot of buttermilk because, around here, we can only buy it in large amounts and I don't use it that often. I do keep powdered buttermilk on hand, although if you don't use it up within a decent amount of time, it will get rock-hard. Then you have to put it through a grinder or food processor to powder it again. Still cheaper than regular buttermilk though. But that lemon and milk trick works beautifully! 
 Hope your pound cake was good. (And now I could eat a slice of pound cake!)

Oh, and did you know that you can freeze buttermilk? When I do buy it, I'll freeze what I don't use in one-cup portions. It will keep for a good month or so in the freezer, but I wouldn't let it go any longer than that. (One of the little gems my MIL shared with me.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really need to get going and get out of the house!

- Must pick up batteries and a few other errands
- laundry
- wake tonight

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
  • went to the shelter to walk the dogs
  • cooked lunch
  • caught up on some correspondence with the nieces and nephews

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is bowling early tonight, so we'll be eating dinner as soon as I get home from work.
  • Scooping the boxes out tonight.
  • May need to do some computer work for Rick.
  • I'd like to go to bed early, if I can.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today is Wednesday, so we're halfway through the work week. 
 It's a long week.
  • Trash night, so clean out the litterboxes
  • I have two loads of laundry separated on the floor back in the hallway
  • A quick vacuum about the living room and kitchen
MickNsnicks2mom, I do that, too, sometimes when I'm baking and need buttermilk and don't have any on hand. I don't buy a lot of buttermilk because, around here, we can only buy it in large amounts and I don't use it that often. I do keep powdered buttermilk on hand, although if you don't use it up within a decent amount of time, it will get rock-hard. Then you have to put it through a grinder or food processor to powder it again. Still cheaper than regular buttermilk though. But that lemon and milk trick works beautifully! 
 Hope your pound cake was good. (And now I could eat a slice of pound cake!)

Oh, and did you know that you can freeze buttermilk? When I do buy it, I'll freeze what I don't use in one-cup portions. It will keep for a good month or so in the freezer, but I wouldn't let it go any longer than that. (One of the little gems my MIL shared with me.)
i use substitutes like that one in baking on a regular basis, because i never buy sour cream/half'n'half/light or heavy cream/buttermilk and some other items for baking. it's the high (to me) prices for the items, along with not being able to use a whole container of the items, that made me decide to simply always use the substitutes.

yes, the pound cake turned out very good! it's a recipe i make on a regular basis. this time i used a tube pan (straight sided) instead of the bundt pan i have always used, because it tends to stick badly in the bundt pan even though i grease the pan generously. there was no sticking in the tube pan, so i'll stick to using that pan when baking this pound cake recipe.

i didn't know buttermilk could be frozen. i freeze gallons of milk on a regular basis, though i always take a cup of milk out before freezing to allow for expanding when it freezes.

today i'm starting out slow. it's frigid here...still. i was getting up every 45 minutes to add more wood to the stove during the wee hours of the morning through getting up for the day, and was needing to use slab wood because that burns hot'n'fast and would bring up and keep the temp in the house at reasonable. i'm truly hoping that the sub-zero temps have passed, at least for a while.
  • gave snick and jasper their breakfasts, and am relaxing for a bit on the computer
  • will make my breakfast shortly, but will wait until it gets somewhere in the not-so-frigid temp range outside before dumping the wood stove ash pan
  • will wash the dishes, scoop litter boxes, and take out the trash
  • will need a nap today, as i didn't get enough sleep last night

catmomjulia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Went for a morning Jog, took down the Christmas decorations, and soon to be going grocery shopping

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we're currently having a snow squall here, which according to the weather service should last less than an hour. my first thought was hoping that the school buses will at least be delayed here, as the visibility is very limited right now. there's two school buses that come through here in the morning, one just after 7am (now, for the high school kids) and one just after 8am (for the elementary school kids). i really don't want to think of the kids riding on school buses in this.

today will be pretty quiet here once i get some morning things done --
  • give snick her sub-q's, then give both cats their breakfasts
  • while the cats are eating, i'll load more firewood onto the living room log rack -- it's supposed to drop down to single digit temps again tonight, and i want to be well prepared for that
  • locate and move to the fridge two 1 cup packages of ham (for the ham and potato soup i'll be making in a few days) and the four small (5 oz each) steaks (for the chili i'll make tomorrow)
  • will wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, take out the trash, and bring in the newspaper
  • i'll dump the wood stove ash pan when i run the trash out

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Friday! Oh it's Friday! 
 Now, c'mon 4:00!

I don't care for sour cream, just to eat it, but I can make cookies or a coffee cake or cupcakes with it, so it doesn't usually get caught in the fridge. Buttermilk, OTOH, will get caught if I don't freeze it.
  • Rick wants to get his hair cut tonight, so I guess we'll be heading down to the mall. While we're down there, I'd like to look at a few things that are on sale (underwear 
    ), but I don't know that I'll buy anything. We'll see.
  • One of my co-workers asked me if I'd make him some bacon-potato chowder, if he brought in the potatoes and bacon. He's not married, he doesn't cook that much, and he's really hungry for the chowder; I had made some a while back and gave a container to him. He loved it. I may not do that until tomorrow, then he can come down and pick it up for his Saturday night supper. 
  • And do the inevitable scoop

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- Scoop boxes

- Classes. 3 straight hours of animating and then 3 straight hours of drawing, no gap between classes. Of all days, why does Friday have to be so taxing?

- Going to the boyfriend's sister's for dinner tonight right after class

If we come home at a decent time and I don't collapse right into bed, I should prepare the bird toys and perches for cage cleaning tomorrow. Boyfriend has cold/mild flu/fever symptoms so I have to remember to keep the humidifiers full and add some vinegar because I sure as heck can't afford to get sick with him. Then who would cook?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
- the store just to get some necessities we were getting too low on.

- post office

- laundry

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Banking and errands this morning.
  • Have my picture taken for my drivers license
  • Do a bit of housecleaning (clean kitchen and bathroom mostly)
ETA: Well, scratch the photo ID for drivers license; the DVM is closed today (and Monday) for the MLK holiday. 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is taking his mom to church this morning. At least I think they're still going; we were to get some freezing rain, but I never looked outside when I fed the kids their breakfast.
  • I'm putting more of the Winterberry dishes away this afternoon. Usually I don't put it all away until February, but I'm feeling like I want to get it all done now. I like having the Fiesta in the kitchen; it looks cheery. (And honestly, I think I'm just ready for winter to be gone now, even though I know we have a couple more months left.)
  • Back up the computers and do some work for Dear Richard
  • Change the bed sheets (I'm putting the sheets with the snowflakes away and getting out others (still flannel though). Had it up to here with winter, I'm telling you!)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • gave snick her sub-q's, then her breakfast
  • while snick started eating her breakfast, i moved more firewood to the living room log rack
  • gave jasper his breakfast, and made sure snick finished hers
  • made a batch of potato cheese soup and added diced ham to it -- new recipe for me
  • ate a bowl of potato cheese soup with ham, as i'd missed my breakfast
  • dumped the wood stove ash pan, then added more wood to the stove
  • washed the dishes, scooped litter boxes, took trash out, brought sunday newspaper in

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I am off work today for the MLK holiday. I need to get a few things done around the house, but overall, I'm going to take it easy. Rick told me to take a day for myself and I may just do that. Got all the Winterberry stuff put away yesterday and the Fiesta is out in the kitchen now. 
  • Must scoop the boxes
  • Vacuum and dust the house
  • We will be grabbing a few groceries tonight
I want to treat the furkids this morning. Before I vacuum, I'm going to get the catnip out. They haven't had catnip in a while and they love their nip, even the old ones still enjoy nip. I'll give them each a pile and let them have a bit of fun. Then they'll get a snack and go back to the bedroom to sleep it off. While they're napping, I'll vacuum the living room. They're all hilarious when they're on a nip high! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@catapult.
I need another referral and am being very lazy about getting it.
I think your scale is 6.6. Ours is 20.20 unless it's the other way round.
How do you keep your eyes open for 2 hours at a time?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to the mall with my daughter and her three sons
went to the cinema with the eldest,15 years old, and she took the younger ones to see penguins in Madagascar.
I paid.
went out to eat after.
I paid.
A very expensive evening but that's what mums and grandmums are for right?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Back to work today after being off the holiday yesterday.
  • Have a Planning Commission right after work this afternoon, so won't get home until late (that means that Dear Richard is in Big Charge for dinner tonight)
  • Scoop the boxes
And then I'm thinking off to bed 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We are to get another three inches of snow this morning into tonight.
  • I have a hair appt tonight, but am thinking of re-scheduling as I hate driving in this stuff. And she has moved her salon to her house, which is out in the boonies, along a very windy and curvy road. I'm not sure how to get there and don't really want to have to deal with directions in the dark in a snowstorm. 
  • Trash night, so litter boxes must be cleaned
  • Two loads of laundry
  • My co-worker finally remembered to bring his potatoes and onion into work yesterday, so if I cancel my hair appt, I'll have time to make a nice potato-bacon chowder for him (and for us). Basically he had some potatoes and an onion that needed to be used up and he said he didn't know what to do with them. Would I please make him some potato chowder? He loves the stuff and doesn't know how to make it. I have some half & half in the fridge, so I can use that.

Last edited:

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Go to the grocery store to get a zucchini for zucchini pasta tonight and some more oatmeal
  • Scoop the litterboxes after work
  • Possibly go to the gym for a few minutes

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch on the snow. We're not getting any snow yet, but it is chilly (-15 when I left for class this morning), but it's more or less keeping what sitting water froze over and it's windy. I'm fearful of the snowmageddon we've had predicted.

- Just got home from morning class - dinosaur class!

- About to sculpt my deep sea fish for the evening class, which I'm considering skipping because I'm thinking it'll be a work period

- Going out for dinner tonight to celebrate my brother's 38th birthday! He gets free buffet. I jumped on that last month for my birthday too.

Status
Not open for further replies.