My cat literally slashed my mother - Please Help :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ten pounds is about 4.5 kilos. But Carrot is actually very small for a male cat. He has a big draping belly, so the vet said that he should lose at least half a pound. For his body frame he's got a bit of extra weight for sure. He's become a much more active cat since the kitten got here, so it is possible that he is now down to the 9.5 pounds the vet suggested he should weigh. 

Grizzly's exercise routine sounds like a lot of fun for a cat. He's probably just really active so his weight isn't too much. 

I'm so glad that you have gotten more rest. 
@NewYork1303  yeah.. right now he's "hunting" some harmless, defenceless cricket on the balcony, who made the mistake of accomodating one of the flower pots.. The cricket is "chirping" all the time and Grizzly is maaaaad 'cause he can't seem to find it in the "wilderness" LOL.. "Go home, Cricket! It's past midnight!" There's an exercise I didn't even encourage!

He is pretty active. And imagine that when I brought him home, he was so little he didn't even know how to play.. I would toss a small ball and he would just watch it go by... Like "OK.. what am I supposed to do with that?"  I have a video stashed somewhere.. If I dig it up, I'll upload it 

I am glad I've gotten some rest, too... 

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad you got some rest!

@NewYork1303
 yeah.. right now he's "hunting" some harmless, defenceless cricket on the balcony, who made the mistake of accomodating one of the flower pots.. The cricket is "chirping" all the time and Grizzly is maaaaad 'cause he can't seem to find it in the "wilderness" LOL.. "Go home, Cricket! It's past midnight!" There's an exercise I didn't even encourage!

He is pretty active. And imagine that when I brought him home, he was so little he didn't even know how to play.. I would toss a small ball and he would just watch it go by... Like "OK.. what am I supposed to do with that?" I have a video stashed somewhere.. If I dig it up, I'll upload it :catguy:

I am glad I've gotten some rest, too... :9:  
Cadbury loves hunting crickets...I bought him some from the pet store just for that purpose! LOL I don't think the crickets had as much fun.........

Here is Cadbury's favorite "exercise" lately....
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I get an error message stating that this video is private and I have to sign in.. I signed in and guess what: the video remains private! 

I can't believe our cats have this in common as well! Maybe I could steal Cadburry while you slept, replaced him with Grizzly, took Cadburry in my home and tell my mother "Here mom! Grizzly is alright now! He is niiiiice and caaaaalm and he'd never cause any trouble again!" and she would totally buy it 

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might have been trying while I was updating. I changed the privacy. If it still doesn't work I'll change it again LOL

Edit to add... Yes, you probably could, though I don't know how calm he'd be after a trip from Texas to Greece! Haha

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh! I get an error message stating that this video is private and I have to sign in.. I signed in and guess what: the video remains private! :wife:

I can't believe our cats have this in common as well! Maybe I could steal Cadburry while you slept, replaced him with Grizzly, took Cadburry in my home and tell my mother "Here mom! Grizzly is alright now! He is niiiiice and caaaaalm and he'd never cause any trouble again!" and she would totally buy it :eyebrows:  
I didn't have a problem with it. Cadbury is really cute. Amazing how much Cadbury and Grizzly look alike. Chocolate cats are SO beautiful!

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I watched it.. WOW.. Grizzly does not fetch - He used to.. but now he is bored and just "touches" the toy like "Yeh, got it!  Your turn!"  

Other than that, it was like watching Grizzly. The way he moves, his expression, the way he handles the toy with front paws first etc.. LOL

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful. Looks like a type of Siamese. Should you ditch mom? Over dad? I'm not asking you to choose but she can nurse herself. He liked the birds then changed? Medical to be sure if not environmental. Self assess. Do you think its medical or environmental? You can be your own judge. Are you an only child? You feel torn and that's not fair. You can change that. I wish I had more contact with my dad. He's not a phone person and with this tablet I no longer have AOL but gmail so I can't reach him [emoji]128548[/emoji]. No more updates on his wife (not really step mom). I didn't want you to think I was asking you to choose but I really need a little more info. Why are you home all day? Disabled like me? And? How old are you. You'd be surprised how old I am. I look about 30 years younger than I am.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you probably could, though I don't know how calm he'd be after a trip from Texas to Greece! Haha
@KKoerner  I've never been  to Texas.. This would be a great opportunity.. Taking a trip and stealing your cat! 
LOL

I didn't have a problem with it. Cadbury is really cute. Amazing how much Cadbury and Grizzly look alike. Chocolate cats are SO beautiful!
@Margd  When I saw Cadbury's photo, my 1st thought was "When did I take this photo of Grizzly? Where was I? Why is he in a car?" 

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful. Looks like a type of Siamese. Should you ditch mom? Over dad? I'm not asking you to choose but she can nurse herself. He liked the birds then changed? Medical to be sure if not environmental. Self assess. Do you think its medical or environmental? You can be your own judge. Are you an only child? You feel torn and that's not fair. You can change that. I wish I had more contact with my dad. He's not a phone person and with this tablet I no longer have AOL but gmail so I can't reach him [emoji]128548[/emoji]. No more updates on his wife (not really step mom). I didn't want you to think I was asking you to choose but I really need a little more info. Why are you home all day? Disabled like me? And? How old are you. You'd be surprised how old I am. I look about 30 years younger than I am.
@siamiam2   No! LOL I was just kidding when I said "ditch my mom", don't worry! 
 And no, she can't nurse herself cause it is too painful for a person to do this daily on their own.. My dad can easily nurse himself since he is not in that bad of a shape.. But he still needs someone to bring him things etc.. I am unemployed, not disabled - it's kind of a trend here in Greece for the past 2-3 years..  Did you have an accident? And shouldn't your dad be more of a phone person, since you are clearly in need? Don't get me wrong - you sound like a really strong person, a fighter, not a quiter.. 

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@KKoerner
 I've never been to Texas.. This would be a great opportunity.. Taking a trip and stealing your cat! :woohoo: LOL

@Margd
 When I saw Cadbury's photo, my 1st thought was "When did I take this photo of Grizzly? Where was I? Why is he in a car?" 
:think:
LOL Make sure you tell everyone why you're coming to Texas.... "don't mind me, just stealing cats over here!" Hahaha ;-)

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL Make sure you tell everyone why you're coming to Texas.... "don't mind me, just stealing cats over here!" Hahaha ;-)
@KKoerner  well, I won't leave you empty handed! I'll leave you with Cadbury's evil, skinnier twin! 

Last edited by a moderator:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL You might not think Cadbury is the nice twin once you got him! I think that when he was a stray, his favorite thing must have been chasing birds. He goes absolutely crazy for feathers...I don't think he'd get along with your budgies.

I played a video of birds and squirrels on TV....he tried to catch them out of the TV. Though, I should have filmed him because once he figured out he couldn't get them out of the front of the TV, he would walk around behind it, trying to find them. LOL

Hopefully, the behaviorist helps Grizzly move past his evil twin syndrome anyway!

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL You might not think Cadbury is the nice twin once you got him! I think that when he was a stray, his favorite thing must have been chasing birds. He goes absolutely crazy for feathers...I don't think he'd get along with your budgies.

I played a video of birds and squirrels on TV....he tried to catch them out of the TV. Though, I should have filmed him because once he figured out he couldn't get them out of the front of the TV, he would walk around behind it, trying to find them. LOL

Hopefully, the behaviorist helps Grizzly move past his evil twin syndrome anyway!
Ugh, you have no idea how much I've been praying for that, @KKoerner

Grizzly mostly responds to insects, actually (wow! we found a difference!) not so much to birds.. I've concluded that if he's left alone too long and gets bored, he asks for trouble and engages against birdies.. 

Funny thing is that from yesterday, my neighbours have been keeping our other neighbours' parakeet, cause they went away for vacation.. We live above them. And they keep him (his name is Rico) in their balcony, which is actually the balcony we share as appartments.. Well, not "share" in the sense of using it together - there is a glass separator. So, right now.. Grizzly is between MY cages and THEIR cage.. Needless to say that all 3 of them tend to be quite vocal with one another.. I think he's going nuts.. 

I think today I'll move him to my mother's room for a number of hours and I'll bring my mother over to this side.. Just to move him away from all the "chirping" etc, that might trigger him to hunt again 
 Also, I need to clean up in here! 

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to have a cockatiel and a lovebird, neither of which needed a cat or other birds around to show me just how vocal they could be. Actually...the lovebird would yell at our squeeky cabinet door. She started sounding just like it, though louder. So, I can imagine how loud they can get with the group!
Moving Grizzly for a while might be great for him too...mix your mom's scent and his, change of "scenery." :)

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's gonna be "great" or much of a "change of scenery".. And I am saying that, cause when I move him there, he'll be "stuck" in a single room. Right now, he has my room, the living room and the balcony to walk around.. But on my mother's side, there is our bathroom, our kitchen the entrance/exit of our appartment.. So, Grizzly will have to be confined in the bedroom and not to a "whole area", like he is now.. I'm hoping it'll coincide with the long naps he usually takes between 11 in the morning untill after lunch or so..

No matter what.. I neeeed to clean up in here! LOL I can't stress it enough! hahahah!

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's gonna be "great" or much of a "change of scenery".. And I am saying that, cause when I move him there, he'll be "stuck" in a single room. Right now, he has my room, the living room and the balcony to walk around.. But on my mother's side, there is our bathroom, our kitchen the entrance/exit of our appartment.. So, Grizzly will have to be confined in the bedroom and not to a "whole area", like he is now.. I'm hoping it'll coincide with the long naps he usually takes between 11 in the morning untill after lunch or so..

No matter what.. I neeeed to clean up in here! LOL I can't stress it enough! hahahah!
Oh well....then it will be great for you! LOL

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE**

Just got off the phone with the behaviourist. He talked with the vet and they had a little chat. In a few words, none of them think that Grizzly demonstrates any pathological causes regarding his behaviour, no symptoms of brain tumor or anything.. Or else they would've suggested for further tests to be conducted on that area.. The vet just insisted that Grizzly should take re-test in his bloodwork. The behaviourist said that it is not something really urgent for now and they both agreed that stress from visiting the vet was what possibly caused the high glucose in his blood. They didn't talk about anti-anxiety pills in the morning - the vet didn't have much time to talk. But the behaviourist will contact her again in the afternoon to tell her to prescribe Grizzly with Xanax, so I can buy them from the drugstore. After that, I will talk with him to tell me about the dosage I will give Grizzly.

Unfortunately, he won't be available to come over until next week. But he will be available on the phone.. Thankfuly, now that I need both the vet and the bahaviourist the most, they are in town and are not leaving for vacation, as everyone does at this period.. I feel sorry for them, but it's good for me.. 
 He also told me that the vet will send him a detailed email on what she thinks about this whole situation. Hopefully, her opinion will help.. I'll take my mother to her doctor in a couple of hours and I hope I'll have more updates on my case when I return..

**oh! forgot to add that the behaviourist told me that this sudden change in behaviour could be possibly from growing up. That as he grows up, he is changing.. 
If I combine this with what the vet said about my delaying his neutering (that hormones and instict grew side by side), this may be totally my fault, cause I took too long to neuter him.. On the other hand, I told him that Grizzly manifested a totaly different reaction to the exact same stimuli, within a couple of days.. For example, on Tuesday, in the sight of a broom, Grizzly would just follow us around without reacting at all, and on Thursday (2 days later) in the sight of a broom, Grizzly attacked me (back in April).. The behaviourist then sounded "troubled".. Like something must have triggered this whole thing.. 

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I wouldn't worry on it being "your fault."

People have male cats, not neutered, for much longer than Grizzly was not neutered and this doesn't happen.

Cadbury wasn't neutered until April, when he came into the shelter, and he was about a year old...

I feel like something happened to trigger this, but don't beat yourself up thinking it is your fault. It is not.