My cat literally slashed my mother - Please Help :(

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
If the sardines don't work, can you have a compounding pharmacy make up a formulation that works better, like a transdermal application? I know sometimes pharmacies can also make medications up in tasty treats.

Hopefully the sardines will work and then you will only have fishy breath to deal with! [emoji]128512[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you crush it to the point of powder? If not, I would crush it til it's just powder, and mix it in the wet food. You Can Even Mix In Some Of The Fish He Likes (I DONT Know Why My Phone Is Now Capitolizing Everything....)

If he still won't eat it, either in the fish or wet food crushed, or coated in butter, you are going to have to pill him. You can do it by hand, but it will be easier to use a piller.

Hopefully he will eat it if it's powdered, mixed in wet food and fish together. Cats and pills can be tricky LOL
@KKoerner  yes I made it like powder and mixed it into the tuna at first.. Tomorrow I will try to mix it with a sardine - if that doesn't work, I'll mix the powder with the wetfood..

I think I'll start taking the pills just to show him "Look! Mommy is taking them! No harm! ........... 
"
I will try the butter thing too.. 

When one of cats had to be on medicine that tasted bad.  I wrapped it in a piece of sliced cheese.  That was the only way he would take his meds.
Hi @catlover73  and thanks for joining! Grizzly ate sliced cheese when he was a baby.. Then he stopped.. But I will try cheese as well! 
If the sardines don't work, can you have a compounding pharmacy make up a formulation that works better, like a transdermal application? I know sometimes pharmacies can also make medications up in tasty treats.

Hopefully the sardines will work and then you will only have fishy breath to deal with! [emoji]128512[/emoji]
@Margd  I hope I won't have to go THAT far.. Transdermal application..! WOW! This is not my pet.. This is almost the Prince of Monaco! (Monaco does have a prince, right? 
)

Trust me, I'm already dealing with fish breath, cause I've given him some "preview treats" to get him ready for tomorrow.. LOL

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck tomorrow.  I have the worst time giving meds to my cats. I have put freshly opened treats on top of the tuna to mask any bad odors.   If you can't get the cat to take the pills, you can give them to your  mom!

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I swear, he looks JUST like that! LOL

What exactly do you mean when you say "Moon really doesn't even hold a shadow to what poor Grizzly is going through" - can you explain? Is that an idiom phrase, sort of? (No idea! LOL)

Regarding the videos, I really haven't recorded much, cause he was quite calm last night.. (it's 07:40 in the morning here right now) So, he didn't give me much material. Besides, I was exhausted and went to bed. We slept together - he was quiet. Then at 05:00 in the morning or so, he started his "Cirque Du Soleil" tricks and parkour around the living room.. But I was too sleepy to get up and record.. Even if I had done so, my smartphone isn't much of a help. I would be lucky to record just a shadow, running around.. LOL

Although, it is a good idea to see what I can do and share them here, so we can all study the progress.. It might help others..

For now, here's a video I had recorded many months ago:

I am referred to as "SapienKilobo" because of my dog Kilobo (I was informed that Kilobo means Lesbian in some language? I had no idea, Kilobo has a totally other meaning for me)
Doesn't hold a shadow to, means not nearly so bad. Being just a shadow of the other. Does that make sense?

As great, and informative, as it would be for us to see the videos; I mean for you to look for differences. I'm sure the vet went over all the possible side effects. What I saw most (side effects) seemed more like unsteady, clumsy, drowsy, I did note one was possible irritability
.  The videos are to show his behavior in all circumstances, including quiet times, I would think. They could be very informative to you, maybe see a stumble you missed the first time. See sleepy eyes or a yawn when he should be wide awake; that's what I meant. Being on the lookout for side effects.

I don't crush pills because I always figured that would just make the whole treat smell/taste wrong. I don't know how big these pills are, but when I wrap the pill up, the treat smells the same and when the cat gobbles it down the pill slides down with it. Now if the cat does bite into the pill, that's not so great.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops! Can't believe I forgot to say, "Oh, my gosh He was such an adorable baby!" Remind me how he came to you, he was way so young!

In the video, I figure you're doing peek-a-boo. Poor Grizzly looks like he thinks you've lost your mind!
  First watching you, then back away a bit like he's fearful, then he's coming to see if he can save you!

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I was in hysterics while watching "The Bathroom Scene" video!
Hi @sarthur2  
 I bet, you'll appreciate this video as well:

Doesn't hold a shadow to, means not nearly so bad. Being just a shadow of the other. Does that make sense?

As great, and informative, as it would be for us to see the videos; I mean for you to look for differences. I'm sure the vet went over all the possible side effects. What I saw most (side effects) seemed more like unsteady, clumsy, drowsy, I did note one was possible irritability
.  The videos are to show his behavior in all circumstances, including quiet times, I would think. They could be very informative to you, maybe see a stumble you missed the first time. See sleepy eyes or a yawn when he should be wide awake; that's what I meant. Being on the lookout for side effects.

I don't crush pills because I always figured that would just make the whole treat smell/taste wrong. I don't know how big these pills are, but when I wrap the pill up, the treat smells the same and when the cat gobbles it down the pill slides down with it. Now if the cat does bite into the pill, that's not so great.
Yeap, @KSKatt  it totally makes sense! Thanks for explaining it to me! 

I have recorded several videos. Since I didn't get Grizzly to take his pill, I had more opportunities to make more videos of him without Xanax.. So I guess, the behaviourist will have more material to go through.. 

About the pill, not being crushed (I typed "crash" maybe it has another meaning? I'll look it up) I tried giving it to him in the wetfood and he ate the food around the pill.. So, I am thinking, if crushing it doesn't work again, I'll coat the other half in butter and put it inside the food again.. Hope he'll just swallow without biting it 

Oops! Can't believe I forgot to say, "Oh, my gosh He was such an adorable baby!" Remind me how he came to you, he was way so young!

In the video, I figure you're doing peek-a-boo. Poor Grizzly looks like he thinks you've lost your mind!
  First watching you, then back away a bit like he's fearful, then he's coming to see if he can save you!
Here's a link on how I got him 

[thread="301570"]A Big And Warm Hello From Greece  [/thread]

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE**

Oh man.. I'm gonna kill him and THEN he MIGHT get the pill... 

So, I tried this:

I cut half of the pill in half.. Which means I cut the pill in quarters.. So, I crashed the 1st quarter and put it inside a sardine. He didn't detect it, he started eating it BUT he didn't eat it all.. And it was a relatively small amount..

I crashed the 2nd quarter and put it in the tuna again. He sniffed it, but I guess he didn't have any apettite and left it.. Maybe he'll eat some later?

If he eats those 2 portions he will take in 1/2 of Xanax.. If not, he will have taken somewhat under a quarter.. 

Next effort will be coating the pill with butter, then with sliced cheese.. then I'll shoot myself to save me from this madness..

Last edited:

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Apt? I thought house. Pill? Despite my not being a fan? The tip is side of the mouth. It does straight down if you either have him sit quiet or sorta melt it in wet food. Tends to slide. Annabel has a free day today. No work out tonight and temps under 90. She has her special spot and won't go far from there as habit. I check on her constantly. Please understand I am not and underline not forcing your dad on you. I have too much experience with emotional abandonment to an exaggerated degree to do that. Think if you grew up under your mother's roof but all the love and ATTN you got were restricted to when she felt like it.[emoji]128548[/emoji] as a special needs child and teen she needed to be hands on and wasn't. 3rd husband wasn't much better and dad, I told you already. She kept grandparents and her sister from knowing realities of day to day. Holidays and bdays were all I got. My sister wasn't the typical sibling of a disabled person either so I know a lot about things nobody should have to learn. I know Grizzly really harmed your mother and you're both scared. It's gonna take time and while it might sound crass right now? Can I add the age old American phrase: this too shall pass. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try giving the pill in the side of the mouth as you suggested, after I'm done with other ideas that I have for now. Hope your suggestion works!

I am so sorry you have gone through such experiences. No one should. I have never gone through something similar, so I would lie if I said that "I understand" or anything like that. Only you know how it is. I believe you are strong enough to go passed that. I really do.

To tell you the truth, in your previous 2 posts, you were really insinsting on me taking Grizzly outside or to my dad's house. That's why I had to explain twice why I wouldn't do it. What seems feasible for you, is not applied on every other case. I am sure you understand that.

There are a few things that I cannot do, that I have already clarified. I started this thread to seek for some advice, help, input, feedback.. anything.. At the end of the day, I will try to apply the things that I can. All suggestions are equally respected and taken under consideration by me. You have to believe that. But if a suggestion is not feasible for me, I'll let you know that I won't go through with it. 

If the side of the mouth doesn't do the trick, what else do you think will do it? 

Last edited by a moderator:

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crush and dropper. Pain and time consuming but if all else fails the old mortar and pestle trick should work

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might find these links helpful grizzlysapien grizzlysapien [thread="99055"][/thread][article="32724"][/article][article="22402"][/article]

How's everyone doing today? I hope healing is going well and that you're managing to get some decent sleep. Healing and pill giving vibes coming your way (trying to send you my years of resistant cat pilling experience ;) ) :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys 
3rd effort for the day - that's a 1/2 non crashed Xanax pill, formerly coated with butter inside a meatball you're looking at.. (it's the little orange thingy in the middle..)

Moving on to further experimenting..! This is fun! 

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, me too.. HAHAHAHAHAH! OK.. I'll just.. keep calm.. take deep breaths.. smell the souvlaki scent from downstairs.. pick up some energy.. and I will carry on.. 

As siamiam2 stated "this too shall pass!" 

For the time being, it's like having Gandalf in front of every Xanax pill shouting "This shall not pass!"  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had to give Eclipse a quarter of a pill before meals.  We put the pill in his mouth, rub it down the throat and let him go.  Turns out the clever fiend was hiding the pill in his mouth and them dumping the pills.  We found a few over the next couple of days.