My Cat Kitten was blinded because of a bad veternarian overdosing her with Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. You have dibs on top of dibs on top of dibs.  Her hurt pride is nothing compared to your loss.  I did NOT EVER mean to imply that in any way, shape or form.  I still, personally, want to do this woman great and permanent physical harm.  Against my nature, but I'm so emotionally invested here that I would be perfectly happy to kick her, repeatedly.  Not constructive, not conducive to furthering anything at all.  What I mostly want is to support and assist you with whatever decision you make.

~and a tiny voice whispers~  and kick her.  square in the fanny.
As I read this I thought 'who's writing this ' when I saw I said oh of course. I'm with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

i totally respect your decision. your reasons are very sound. and i can only imagine what you've been through, how hard it must have been to arrive at this decision. 

your 'good friend' is very wise! sending a packet with everything in it to the Attorney General is excellent.

yelp reviews are some of the best reviews available online. yelp, along with the BBB, cannot be bought off -- paid to remove negative reviews.

sending more
's...
I'm not sure what the AG can do in this case. However after reading that second really detailed bad review that happened after Kitten my gut tells me this woman is going to offend again, and again. Leaving a foot print everywhere I can may warn someone in time. And it may be a public record for the next person, and animal she causes harm to and the grief that comes along with. It also makes TPTB more culpable if she reoffends. I believe the AG keeps all complaints on file.

The vet that harmed Kitten has a public record on file. To see it someone has to go down to the NMBVM and request to see it. It should be published online and freely accessible. Next to her name and license number should be a link to click and see.  And because a complaint is found to not have violated the Veterinary Practice Act it should not just be tossed in the round file.

All veterinarians that get found in violation are nearly guaranteed to be offered the NCA settlement agreement. To me it equals a plea agreement.

And now to address the intelligence of the general public. Veterinarians might claim if all their mistakes were made public they would be driven out of business. I disagree. If the actual facts were presented most of us can discern the difference between a mistake that caused death or injury to a pet and the flagrant negligence by the kind of vet we encountered. Again the best vet in the world is going to make a horrendous mistake at some point in their career. Its how they react. Read the horror stories. Just like me the one thing that drives someone to pursue a case is the vets lack of compassion  caring and remorse. At some point I received some correspondence where Kitten was not referred to as Kitten, or her. but as IT. Those two letters burned into my brain. I knew they were carefully calculated to make sure the status of IT was reaffirmed as nothing more than property.

So sending all the information to anyone in a position of authority will likely do nothing. Then again I might tick a nerve somewhere.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I posted the link in #343 because as I suspected there are protocols for handling a situation like mine. When I say mine I am not dismissing anyone else. It's simply easier for me to relate to the personal details that I have complete knowledge of regarding Kitten's case.

Over and over I see the same sentiment. The vet just didn't care. No one even apologized. Boy have I been there. The vet that blinded Kitten never cared about the animal she maimed. Just covering her own behind. Her lawyer said she was protecting her professional reputation. Now if that wasn't so twisted and personal to my husband and myself it would be down right funny. So what are your thoughts on how a vet could make a really bad situation where they have dropped the ball right with you ?  For me personally it would have been the vet reaching out to us and apologizing and taking responsibility and just paying those vet bills from the VCA. I suppose it would be reasonable to ask for a release so she couldn't be sued but you really wouldn't have a law suit if that was the case anyway.

I'm 59 and believe me I have been ripped off, walked on , assaulted and stolen from. I had my car wrecked by an uninsured driver in an empty parking lot. I have had ample opportunity to march down to a court house and file a claim. Never did. It was her attitude. That horrible reeking deplorable I don't give a crap about your cat or the consequences.

So this is probably more a little rant at veterinarians. This is far from the first pet I've lost. I lost my armature card long ago. Your attitude put you in court. Not so much your mistake. We may not have won the judgment but you had to sit on the witness stand and answer my questions. Everyone seen your attitude. Watched you squirm. Listened to you as you started to exaggerate Kitten's condition. If I were a lawyer I would have realized in time which way to push this case. I would have asked for a recess to collect myself. It must have sucked to sit there and have your backside grilled by one of the victims.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I just read the other review. Just... wow. It sounds like something that would happen in an alternate universe or something.
Something else isn't it. And it reflects her behavior in court to a T. I took a minute to reach out to her and told her where to file a complaint if she felt it was something she wanted to pursue. I believe her 100%. That office is very small you could easily read the monitor in there. If she were using an online reference , pharmacology resource it would be evident. Pointing and chuckling at her books ,which I'm guessing are the same old ones she had that started my issues just creeps me out. 

Remember she refused to talk to me after what happened to Kitten. I could see her calling the cops on me if I had went in. Which BTW I did when Kitten needed more eye ointment. And she was nowhere to be seen. I went there to shave off the round trip to Albuquerque. Now that I know what she drives I know she was there. That's even more creepy. It's not that big of a place. What was she doing, hiding in the supply closet ?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittens Mom  
Snip/

At some point I received some correspondence where Kitten was not referred to as Kitten, or her. but as IT. Those two letters burned into my brain. I knew they were carefully calculated to make sure the status of IT was reaffirmed as nothing more than property.

Snip/
I hate it when a vet refers to a pet as "IT' - not only is there an implication that a living being is just property, there is an implication that the pet is an object and not a living being at all.  I read the other review and agree there is a distinct pattern there of incompetence, lack of compassion and refusal to take responsibility for her actions.  By taking her on, you got her to change her behavior with regard to Baytril and if she feels professionally embarrassed, good.  And I get a bit of a chuckle imagining her hiding in the closet from you.  It shows that even though you technically didn't win in the courtroom, you definitely didn't lose, either.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I hate it when a vet refers to a pet as "IT' - not only is there an implication that a living being is just property, there is an implication that the pet is an object and not a living being at all.  I read the other review and agree there is a distinct pattern there of incompetence, lack of compassion and refusal to take responsibility for her actions.  By taking her on, you got her to change her behavior with regard to Baytril and if she feels professionally embarrassed, good.  And I get a bit of a chuckle imagining her hiding in the closet from you.  It shows that even though you technically didn't win in the courtroom, you definitely didn't lose, either.
If a vet during the course of regular business referred to one of my pets as IT I would be out of there. No this was done in some legal papers.

As I said that second review gave me the chills. I have been so centered on the enrofloxacin it really wasn't in my thoughts what else she was lacking in. We lost in the sense we didn't get a judgment against her to pay about 900$ in vet bills. This was never about money. It was simply the only way to get Kitten her day in court. Which we did and we have enough evidence to prove to anyone that she is 100% at fault. I avoided her actual name and location for a long time only to make sure I was covered in case she made a claim of doxing. Here's the thing. This is our story and she's a part of it and therefore we have a right to share what happened. The truth is an absolute defense.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

so  angry for you and Kitten.
Don't be. We wanted to know what happened. And in many respects we got more answers that victims that go through a criminal trial , get a conviction and see the criminal sent to prison.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I put up a FB page. What happened is not readily available on the NMBVM website and to be honest as time has went on I feel an obligation to sacrifice some of my personal privacy to make sure my community is well informed about what happened. Only they can decide if this is a vet they would want to use.

I have a right to tell my story and Kitten's story even if it makes her uncomfortable or reveals information she'd rather no one know about.

I expected at some point some retaliation. It happened less than a hour ago. In rebuttal to my facts and some documents I posted she posted a picture of children on a pony. As a life long horse person I shared with friends who were as appalled as I was to see two poorly turned out children with no helmets. That's a biggy with me. I have seen a child with brain damage and had a friend get her skull caved in during a freak accident.

Yesterday was a bad day. It's hard to admit sometimes just how deeply this vet wounded us.  Today she reminded me just how pathetic she is.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That's kind of a bizarre response on her part.  What do two children on a pony have to do with the information you provided on your FB page?  And I'm totally with you about the need for helmets while riding.  I thought that was universally understood to be necessary.  

I continue to be so sad about Kitten.  She was such a treasure
 and this vet so incompetent.  

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

That's kind of a bizarre response on her part.  What do two children on a pony have to do with the information you provided on your FB page?  And I'm totally with you about the need for helmets while riding.  I thought that was universally understood to be necessary.  

I continue to be so sad about Kitten.  She was such a treasure
 and this vet so incompetent.  
I'm not so sure it was a rebuttal so to speak. I tend to be rather sarcastic. It does show the disconnect. Plus the picture has no reference, story or information. Rather odd for a professionals FB page dedicated to their business.

And yes helmets do prevent head injury in most riding accidents. We had a girl one year come off over a jump and go face first into the metal jump cup. If not for the ridged brim on her helmet should would have had massive face scaring at the very least. I lost paying adult riding students over their refusal to wear a rated helmet. So it's very poor taste for a vet in a rural area to post a picture of two very young children not property kitted out. That would have included a light bridle on the pony. Extremely unprofessional.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
She has to live in her own skin. If the truth makes it feel uncomfortable it's on her not us. We have a right to share Kitten's story and her part in it.  We're real people. Kitten was a real cat and she's a real live practicing veterinarian and shouldn't be allowed to hide behind anonymity. Members of my community have a right to know as much as we have a right to tell the story.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She has to live in her own skin. If the truth makes it feel uncomfortable it's on her not us. We have a right to share Kitten's story and her part in it.  We're real people. Kitten was a real cat and she's a real live practicing veterinarian and shouldn't be allowed to hide behind anonymity. Members of my community have a right to know as much as we have a right to tell the story.
I agree.  It could save a few cats and their owners a lot of grief.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I agree.  It could save a few cats and their owners a lot of grief.
This isn't just about cats or one antibiotic with a very well known adverse effect. The bigger question becomes where else is she failing to treat any animal in a safe manner.  This antibiotic she calls her Top Shelf go to drug is now known and has been for many years to have serious reactions. Many of the human versions are black boxed. What other drugs is she using irresponsibly to get a quick cure with horrible consequences either right away or a damage that shows up later. 

Like a lot of people until this happened we considered antibiotics rather benign germ killing drugs. Fluoroquinolones are powerful chemotherapy style drugs. Evidence now shows they can change mitochondrial DNA.  Peer reviewed papers recommend jurisprudence in the use of these antibiotics rather than a vet like this one using them for everything.  You might get by with it 9/10 times. Figure in pet owners who she may have conned or taken her word that things happen. Figure in pets that died months later of seemingly unrelated issues. Figure the ones she just got lucky and didn't have long term side effects. Per her own admission she's been using the outdated dose for over 15 years. There is no doubt in my mind there is a body count.

What other drugs is she using ?

The NMBVM should have ripped her office apart and scrutinized every record available. There simply isn't the money or manpower to do that.

https://viralstyle.com/viking1/cat-seem#pid=1&cid=4673123&sid=front   If this link works I bought this t shirt. It sums up how I feel and I plan on wearing it around town. All someone has to do is ask and I'll be happy to fill in the blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.