My Cat Kitten was blinded because of a bad veternarian overdosing her with Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

The thing about battling uphill is that you don't really have a chance to step back and see how far up the hill you are. Sometimes you need to pause and look back to see just how far you've come--and you've come very far. You might not have paved the road for other pet owners in your position, but you've laid down the markers on where the road should  be, and that is an accomplishment few people can boast. Take a breather and take comfort from it. And, as always, our thoughts are with you. 

You are very wise.

We are private people. Sharing here and on FB was hard. WE made many mistakes along the way. Having someone tell you that you should have hired a lawyer only points out one of the gaping holes in the system. If this had been a child the lawyers would have been lined up around the block. Contingency fees are the bread and butter of human malpractice. As long as our pets are little more than sofa cushions under the law lawyers with huge retainer fees are out of reach for most of us. SVBs should be required to post the complete record of a complaint if the veterinarian is found in violation. In most cases you have to go to the office of the SVB to view those records. In other words the public never really sees them. Next on FB I'm gong to get the vet reports from the ER up where blindness is attributed to an OVERDOSE, not an adverse reaction. I'm gong to do what the system won't. Expose the reasons she was found in violation.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just letting you know I am sending you BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone said it all so well. You didn't know this was going to happen. YOU DIDNT CAUSE THIS!!!!!!!

You are a warrior and you give the rest of us strength to stand up for ourselves and voice our opinions when things are not going right or when we have been wronged.

I know how hard this is for you. I can hear your tears in your words. Just know we all surround you and hope that our love can help sooth your soul from miles away.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Just letting you know I am sending you BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone said it all so well. You didn't know this was going to happen. YOU DIDNT CAUSE THIS!!!!!!!

You are a warrior and you give the rest of us strength to stand up for ourselves and voice our opinions when things are not going right or when we have been wronged.

I know how hard this is for you. I can hear your tears in your words. Just know we all surround you and hope that our love can help sooth your soul from miles away.

Everyone at the bridge- animal and caretaker alike is sending theirs as well. They are all so proud of your strength and bravery. You gave a voice to the voiceless. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I say anything, I would like to point out that we all support you, one-hundred percent. Having said that, I would like to interject a note of caution to be careful. If you post too much, or infringe on the vet's "rights", she can take you to court for harassment. I'm not saying you shouldn't, or that Kitten doesn't deserve all the representation she can get--I'm just warning you to be careful.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Before I say anything, I would like to point out that we all support you, one-hundred percent. Having said that, I would like to interject a note of caution to be careful. If you post too much, or infringe on the vet's "rights", she can take you to court for harassment. I'm not saying you shouldn't, or that Kitten doesn't deserve all the representation she can get--I'm just warning you to be careful.
I post only actual information that is public record. Medical records that belong to my cat are my personal property to do with as I please. I am entitled to my first amendment rights as long as I don't make provable false claims. And if this vet were capable of proving my allegations were false she would have done so in court instead of bring in the vapid puppy mill owner to tell what a good person she was. If she wants to sue me she's welcome to it. This time I'll have a lawyer and I'll get every branch of the media possible involved. I never play all my cards. Keeping a ace up your sleeve is always a good idea. I have a right to tell what happened to Kitten and to our family as a result.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

its not harassment as long as only facts stated. we have a right to tell the public our facts.
I have posted nothing on FB that can't be backed up. I am also allowed to post my opinion about the devastating effects of quinolones can have on our pets and humans. Beyond that Kitten's story is one among so many. Pets maimed and killed by the people we are supposed to trust beyond words when we put their precious lives in their hands. More than one veterinarian caught with dirty hands has tried to silence the victims with SLAPP. They fail. Bad Vets want the victims to be afraid to speak up. I lost in court due to technical details and my BAD VET hiring an experienced criminal trial attorney who managed to get a large body of evidence tossed out  She did not win on the merit of the case. I have no regrets taking her to court and losing. IN the time she was on the witness stand I got a clear view of who she really was. Any compassion I had in the beginning when we thought this was a medication error flew out the window.

No veterinarian can meet the standard of care when they're using outdated pharmacology book something that is backed up 100% by the NMBVM. I use her own words against her. I don't have to interpret or put meaning to what she says. She says it quite clearly. If she wants to now come forward and claim she was lying I'm good with that too. If this bad vet had settled with us we would have never obtained all the information we now have that shows just how negligent she really was.

We kept out mouths shut about a lot of things until after the trail and the NMBVM ruling.  Telling Kitten's story is not only my right but has been therapeutic in starting to actually heal. The truth is setting us free. I don't care what it does to her. She's bleeding from a self inflicted wound. Every day I meet more victims that have their own bad vet and horror story and the bully veterinarian.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fully agree with you Kittens Mom that telling Kitten's story is helping you heal.  I have a situation where both my siblings hurt me badly and they are not sorry.  They do not care.  Every time I tell someone and see the look of shock on their faces it helps me heal a little bit.  I've got a long way to go.  

No one can or SHOULD forgive someone who is not sorry for what they've done.  It's like throwing them a ball they refuse to catch.  An exercise in futility at best and a total waste of time.  So what else can we do but continue to broadcast to the world what they have done, what they are not sorry for and may never be?  At least others have been warned that they are not who they pretend to be.  What's done in secret will be shouted from the rooftops.  

What bothers me is that your ex-"vet" is a dishonest person with a dishonest lawyer.  I think this is why @Tallyollyopia  is saying to be careful.  She might find a way to get a dishonest judge to charge you with harassment, dishonestly of course, but yet somehow legally.  We all know the justice system is broken because of dishonest people and lawyers and judges.  I know you've spoken to a lawyer before, and if you haven't already, ask one about this specifically, just so that this bad vet doesn't find a way to get you somehow.  @foxxycat is right the public deserve to know about bad service providers.  I just wonder where that fine line is between truthfully declaring known facts and harassment.   I wouldn't put it past this bad vet to find that line.  

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I fully agree with you Kittens Mom that telling Kitten's story is helping you heal.  I have a situation where both my siblings hurt me badly and they are not sorry.  They do not care.  Every time I tell someone and see the look of shock on their faces it helps me heal a little bit.  I've got a long way to go.  

No one can or SHOULD forgive someone who is not sorry for what they've done.  It's like throwing them a ball they refuse to catch.  An exercise in futility at best and a total waste of time.  So what else can we do but continue to broadcast to the world what they have done, what they are not sorry for and may never be?  At least others have been warned that they are not who they pretend to be.  What's done in secret will be shouted from the rooftops.  

What bothers me is that your ex-"vet" is a dishonest person with a dishonest lawyer.  I think this is why @Tallyollyopia  is saying to be careful.  She might find a way to get a dishonest judge to charge you with harassment, dishonestly of course, but yet somehow legally.  We all know the justice system is broken because of dishonest people and lawyers and judges.  I know you've spoken to a lawyer before, and if you haven't already, ask one about this specifically, just so that this bad vet doesn't find a way to get you somehow.  @foxxycat is right the public deserve to know about bad service providers.  I just wonder where that fine line is between truthfully declaring known facts and harassment.   I wouldn't put it past this bad vet to find that line.  
The Judge she would go through is the one that heard our case. As to her lawyer he represented his client the way he is obligated to . The bad vet took dishonest information to him and I honestly don't think he was aware of how she was manipulating the facts until much later. I left the courtroom on good terms with her lawyer. He's a valued member of our community.

It becomes harassment if I start posting her home address, Pictures of her. Names of employees or making false allegations that I can't prove or have reasonable evidence of.

I hate one line good reviews and bad ones. There needs to be some meat in there to bolster up either the claim of bad or good service. A real country vet who knows her stuff isn't a review based on personal experience. And harassment can go two ways especially if she files a frivolous lawsuit.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

bring it on. Harassment is what that vet did to HER!!!!
There is a big difference between not being afraid of her suing us and wanting her to. Court is no fun for anyone. We are however not going to be scared into silence. These animals that live in our homes are truly family to us. Their lives are always way too short. Each and every pet owner knows in the back of their mind that someday they are going to go through a nearly unbearable piece of hell in letting the go. When they  are senselessly killed or maimed it makes an already difficult situation even worse. Kitten wasn't going to live forever. We knew that.

I'm not looking for sympathy or praise. I want to raise awareness. This can happen to anyone. I want the next victim to have more justice than me and the one after and so on. You have to do things you don't want to do. Throw yourself out there and be a real person in a real situation not some anonymous whiner. No one in this world is going to harm one of mine, devastate our lives and get to skip on with their life like it never happened.

My bad vet had two good choices available. Shut me down with the science of pay those paltry vet bills we asked for and let everyone get on with their life. She couldn't do one because there is no science on her side. And I guess two would have impacted her bottom line.

You can whine about the system not being fair and out of date. And yes it is. Or you can use every tool currently available to pursue your cause. Every voice counts. Laws are on the verge of change but we have to keep pushing. Each legitimate case brought forward in an imperfect system is more a voice for change than thousands on a petition. I'm no one special. Just someone who got mad and followed though.

Filing a complaint with your SVB and your AG cost nothing but some postage and copies and a few hours of your time to fill the forms out. I want everyone to KNOW that.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I post only actual information that is public record. Medical records that belong to my cat are my personal property to do with as I please. I am entitled to my first amendment rights as long as I don't make provable false claims. And if this vet were capable of proving my allegations were false she would have done so in court instead of bring in the vapid puppy mill owner to tell what a good person she was. If she wants to sue me she's welcome to it. This time I'll have a lawyer and I'll get every branch of the media possible involved. I never play all my cards. Keeping a ace up your sleeve is always a good idea. I have a right to tell what happened to Kitten and to our family as a result.
I was just warning you to be cautious because she clearly has no problem twisting facts to suit her version of reality.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet may never see it.  She would have to be on Facebook and be Kittens Mom's friend, or friend of a friend.  Business FB pages don't seem to work like the personal ones.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I was just warning you to be cautious because she clearly has no problem twisting facts to suit her version of reality.
She got by with it because Magistrate courts are courts of no record. And I didn't have an expert or a lawyer. She became the automatic expert. That wouldn't happen again and she knows it. She realized there was no one to contradict her and took full advantage of it. So her version of reality played out there but it will never happen again. And to prove slander she has to prove our claim is not true.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

The vet may never see it.  She would have to be on Facebook and be Kittens Mom's friend, or friend of a friend.  Business FB pages don't seem to work like the personal ones.
The link for this thread is on my FB page. And my FB is open. Several of the sites I have written bad reviews contact the business. She has never responded.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
My Cat Is Not a Tablelamp

Published by M Eileen KIng · September 5 at 9:38pm ·

I want to thank anyone who follows this page. Nothing in the world prepared us for what happened to our Kitten. It's easy to read these stories and think that could never happen to me. I would never go to veterinarian like that. You may ever reason it away saying even good veterinarians make mistakes....Good veterinarians own their mistakes. The BAD veterinarians won't. Either from fear, arrogance or as in my case a veterinarian calling enrofloxacin her top shelf drug. I took that to mean her go to drug , and in the next breath claiming she had never heard of the dose related retinal toxicity that has been the subject of papers and studies and is covered in CURRENT pharmacology books and is clearly stated on all forms of enrofloxacin. In one breath she claimed it was her drug of choice and in the next breath she didn't know anything about its possible adverse reactions. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, where man has never walked there is a tree stump that knows overdosing a cat on enrofloxacin can cause blindness. But you're not going to know this when the vet is treating your pet. Everything we found out about Dr. X DVM came after the disaster she caused. Do you think she presented herself as a drooling monster? No she lulled us into false security as she bloviated on about what a cat expert she was. So yeah, it can happen to you. And you can lament that things need to change and they do. But until then you have to drag veterinarians like this out into the light so that the next pet owner knows what they're stepping into if they go there. The cost to report a bad vet to your SVB or your AG is the cost of postage and some time.

I am going to harp on this until I'm dumped in hole and shoveled over. One of the best ways to change a bad system is to keep pushing at what you have and exposing how inadequate it is. Each time a bad vet is exposed it's a WIN no matter what the SVB or court decide.  Those cases are settled on rule violations and evidence. The facts are often much different once you take the constraints of the current system out of play. If your pet has been harmed by a professional and you don't report them. You have become a part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.